nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How can NVIDIA better engage with Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=185005)

artem 06-24-12 04:54 PM

How can NVIDIA better engage with Linux

NVIDIA has recently become interested in becoming more friendly to Linux and I think we can voice our suggestions on this matter.

I propose the following things:

1) Divide Linux driver into a completely open kernel part (which talks to the underlying hardware) and a user space part which communicates with the kernel driver (here's the reasoning).
2) Release drivers more often (call them alpha/beta and disregard bug reports against them).
3) Create a special open bugzilla installation just for desktop NVIDIA Linux drivers.

Please, abstain from offering NVIDIA to release the specs for their hardware - they won't do that and taking into consideration the quality of open source ATI driver, nouveau will not magically become tenfold better.

And I, for one, want to thank NVIDIA for their high quality drivers.

FuturePilot 06-24-12 05:00 PM

Re: How can NVIDIA better engage with Linux

Quote:

Originally Posted by artem (Post 2566632)

Please, abstain from offering NVIDIA to release the specs for their hardware - they won't do that and taking into consideration the quality of open source ATI driver, nouveau will not magically become tenfold better.

This is a huge thing people need to realize before they go blindly flaming Nvidia based on something Linus said.

Deanjo 06-24-12 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artem (Post 2566632)
2) Release drivers more often (call them alpha/beta and disregard bug reports against them).

They already have a fairly active release schedule 2 or more a month is not uncommon. Also the whole idea of alpha/beta releases is to have the public try them out and take bug reports from them.

rmrfchik 06-25-12 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanjo (Post 2566670)
They already have a fairly active release schedule 2 or more a month is not uncommon. Also the whole idea of alpha/beta releases is to have the public try them out and take bug reports from them.

bug report to... wait, is there bug tracker for users available?
I think a lot of reports just drowned in this forum left no traces :(

MadCatX 06-25-12 03:00 PM

+1 for a real Linux bugzilla. This pseudoofficial way of reporting bugs through this forum is ridiculous.

Deanjo 06-25-12 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmrfchik (Post 2566781)
bug report to... wait, is there bug tracker for users available?
I think a lot of reports just drowned in this forum left no traces :(

linux-bugs@nvidia.com

rmrfchik 06-26-12 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanjo (Post 2566897)

This this not bug tracker as it has no main part -- tracking. One must be able to browse filed bugs to find duplicates and such.

artem 06-26-12 06:57 AM

rmrfchik,

It was obviously a bad joke.

Deanjo 06-26-12 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artem (Post 2566984)
rmrfchik,

It was obviously a bad joke.

Nope, always had great results getting items fixed by emailing them as per the documentation.