nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   This isn't any longer the forum where to post about nvidia's linux drivers, right? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=189456)

rgorn 09-04-12 04:53 PM

This isn't any longer the forum where to post about nvidia's linux drivers, right?

Where else does one try to bug them these days with at least a principal chance to meet a real developer?

Deanjo 09-04-12 05:57 PM

Re: This isn't any longer the forum where to post about nvidia's linux drivers, right

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgorn (Post 2572982)
Where else does one try to bug them these days with at least a principal chance to meet a real developer?

Right from the driver documentation:

Quote:

When emailing <linux-bugs@nvidia.com>, please include the nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file generated by the nvidia-bug-report.sh script (which is installed as part of driver installation).
Quote:

NVIDIA provides a technical contact for information about potential security issues. Anyone who has identified what they believe to be a security issue with an NVIDIA UNIX driver is encouraged to directly contact the NVIDIA UNIX Graphics Driver security email alias, <unix-security@nvidia.com>, to report and evaluate any potential issues prior to publishing a public security advisory.

rockob 09-04-12 06:27 PM

Re: This isn't any longer the forum where to post about nvidia's linux drivers, right

In my experience, they don't respond to this forum any more and they don't respond to their email either.

artem 09-04-12 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockob (Post 2572984)
In my experience, they don't respond to this forum any more and they don't respond to their email either.

They've never responded to e-mails before so there's nothing new here.

Aaron comes here quite often but he keeps silent:

Last Activity: 09-05-12 6:56 AM

rgorn 09-04-12 07:50 PM

In the old times, some of the nvidia guys regularly showed up here. Now even most of their 'stickys' are gone. The ones still here refer to outer space or are from yesteryear.

WTF is going on here?

Deanjo 09-04-12 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artem (Post 2572985)
They've never responded to e-mails before so there's nothing new here.

I've got a mailbox full of replies from them using the linux-bugs@nvidia.com.

johnc 09-04-12 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgorn (Post 2572988)
In the old times, some of the nvidia guys regularly showed up here. Now even most of their 'stickys' are gone. The ones still here refer to outer space or are from yesteryear.

WTF is going on here?

I think there was a falling out of sorts with the forum owner here, to put it diplomatically; so nvidia is rebuilding their own hacked forums and adding an official linux subforum and is probably keeping quiet until then.

An announcement was made on the Phoronix forums some time ago: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...812#post276812

rgorn 09-05-12 02:27 PM

Then let's hope they want to and really _do_ come up with a forum of their own. How long can it take a multi-million/billion(?) company like nvidia to do this? Back then, I was even somehow puzzled when they finally settled here! There was a time when this forum was as good (even better) than this nonsense emai address.

And all this because the owner here was somehow pissed??

Pfffttttt!!!!!!!!!!

artem 09-05-12 04:09 PM

Just to make it clear, the owner here was DDOS'ed, not pissed.

rgorn 09-05-12 04:37 PM

Well ...

Last I heard is that the chief penguin said "**** you, NVIDIA!", not "Let it pour down on nvnews!"

Anyway, it should be made very clear that this forum is no longer what it used to be. (I've seen your recent post.)

That seems to be in everybody's interest.

tromaunoc 10-01-12 07:11 PM

6 years ago, a friend was banned from this forum for excessive rants (due to more than 4 lost months hacking on nvidia driver and linux kernel to make a simple GPU work as expected):

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...3&postcount=12

When I read this old thread and see the recent news, I better understand Linus point of view.

Let's hope that NVidia will react the good way, as their response to Torvalds suggested.

BTW, I still don't understand why they've used this forum to communicate with Linux users for so long. This is probably my last message here as I'll be banned sooner or later for saying this.:D

uOpt 10-02-12 09:02 AM

How long can it take to put up a forum installation?

And what is with the apparently official self-spam here?