nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   4496 driver, StartX: Black screen + mouse cursor (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19097)

Swilver 10-05-03 08:15 PM

4496 driver, StartX: Black screen + mouse cursor

Hardware: P4, Asus p4s8x mainboard, GForce 4 ti4200

Software: Red Hat 9, freshly installed the same day; I let it update all the rpm's, and install the latest kernel available from Red Hat (2.4.20-20.9); I recompiled that kernel using the Red Hat template and added ntfs and pentium 4 support. After the install and the recompile, X was working perfectly using the nv driver, and I even had stuff like MPlayer working correctly already -- it was going really smooth :)

Then I downloaded the latest NVidia driver, as I wanted to start working on getting the TV display going. I just ran the script, and let it compile itself against my kernel. No indications of trouble here.

I edited XF86Config, commented out the Load "dri" line and the DRI section. I also altered "nv" to "nvidia". Saved.

[root@localhost ~]# startx<enter>

-> result: the nvidia logo is shown, then a black screen with the X cursor in the center. I can move the cursor, but nothing else happens (X worked 15 minutes earlier just fine with the nv driver). It doesn't get out of this black screen with cursor no matter how long I wait (not even after 30 minutes). I can switch back to the console with Ctrl+Alt+F1 and back to X again if I want. The Log doesn't show any errors (X in fact is still running, or waiting on something).... Ctrl+c terminates X, and I can examine the logs.

The logs contain no errors... with log level at 5, it just stops doing anything after it initializes the mouse pointer (and indeed the mouse works just fine). At the normal log level, the last thing X prints is (immediately after it says it is using the XF86Config file):

(II) [GLX]: Initializing GLX extension

That's not much to go on, and I'm at a loss. To make matters worse, switching back to the "nv" driver doesn't work anymore either. It seems that the nvidia driver install messed something up and now both drivers don't work. Using the nvidia-installer with the --uninstall option also didn't help. It looks like I have to reinstall everything to get X to work again...

I tried the 43xx driver as well, same results. I tried adding the option to not check for TV or DFP, no difference. I tried without load "glx", didn't work.

I hope someone can point out what went wrong :)

--Swilver

Spark 10-06-03 08:16 AM

I had the same problem (with kernel 2.4.20-18.7), but I couldn't even switch back to console (go ssh!). Apparently something badly messes with the hardware.

My solution: Install the driver again, using the -n switch (do not use precompiled kernel interfaces). That fixed the problem for me.

I've had this problem with both the 4496 and 4363 driver. The solution is only tested for 4496.

VMUNIX 10-06-03 09:04 AM

@ Spark
Do you think that ( -n switch) could solve the problem many of us using RedHat 9 of X lock and the mouse still can move?
here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=18894

I'll (many people :) ) appreciate any help!!

Spark 10-06-03 09:21 AM

Yep, I read the thread but didn't make that connection. However, you're right, the problem sounds related. You might as well try it. May work, may not work.

I posted that to the other thread.

Swilver 10-10-03 10:05 AM

This turned out not to be a problem of the NVidia driver.

I donot know why, but the "lockup" I described in my post occurs because I was trying to do "startx" from runlevel 3 as root. This has always worked for me, but it doesn't seem to work anymore after I allowed a fresh install of Red Hat 9 to upgrade to all the latest RPM's.

What DOES work however is to do "startx" as a normal user, or, go to runlevel 5. X works absolutely fine then; at runlevel 5 I can even log in as root. Why I cannot just startx as root from runlevel 3 anymore (it works during the initial install) is beyond me...

Thanks a lot for all the help though; I should have investigated this further before posting, sorry :(

--swilver

Soul-Crusher 10-12-03 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Swilver What DOES work however is to do "startx" as a normal user, or, go to runlevel 5. X works absolutely fine then; at runlevel 5 I can even log in as root. Why I cannot just startx as root from runlevel 3 anymore (it works during the initial install) is beyond me...
--swilver [/b]
New versions of X do not use the gray weaving pattern you may be familiar with. Edit .xinitrc in your home directory and have it point to a startup script in your /etc/X11/Sessions/ directory. For example:
/etc/X11/Sessions/kde-3.1.4

Now typing 'startx' will launch you into a session manager without being in init 5 first.