nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Feedback Forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Let the forum members juge trolls... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19131)

SurfMonkey 10-06-03 02:26 PM

Let the forum members juge trolls...

How about adding a troll button to each post a member makes, that way if someone is making useless or spam posts in the more 'serious' forums we could simply troll them.

After a certain number of troll votes their avatar should automatically become a troll and that way we know exactly what to expect of them. And if they get more troll votes you could always suspend or ban them.

You never know it could be the next big thing in self regulating forums :D

The Baron 10-06-03 02:33 PM

Hmmm.. Interesting idea. Problem is that it will be abused by fanboys.

digitalwanderer 10-06-03 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Baron
Hmmm.. Interesting idea. Problem is that it will be abused by fanboys.
What if I promise not to abuse it?

saturnotaku 10-06-03 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by digitalwanderer
What if I promise not to abuse it?
It's not you that we'd worry about. It's an interesting idea for sure, but I think it would be too easily abused. I mean, this is why there's an option in each post to report it to a moderator. An e-mail gets sent out to all the mods/admins when this is done and whenever I've used it, the issue gets taken care of very promptly. It's nice whenever I come here, 99% of the time there's at least one mod around. :)

ragejg 10-06-03 02:43 PM

So maybe there could be a point system:

If you have 0-99 posts, you can only cast TWO points.

If you have 100-250 posts, you can cast THREE points.

If you have 251-1000, FOUR...

1000 and above, FIVE...

10 points and your avatar's changed.

16 and you're IP banned...

???

I dunno, just an idea...

The Baron 10-06-03 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saturnotaku
It's not you that we'd worry about. It's an interesting idea for sure, but I think it would be too easily abused. I mean, this is why there's an option in each post to report it to a moderator. An e-mail gets sent out to all the mods/admins when this is done and whenever I've used it, the issue gets taken care of very promptly. It's nice whenever I come here, 99% of the time there's at least one mod around. :)
Here's the problem. Within three days, here's who would be labelled a troll:

me
StealthHawk
MikeC
Uttar
Hellbinder
Digitalwanderer
Skuzzy
Sat
vamp
rage

It'd be almost instant. If you say that NVIDIA has screwed up for reason X, you will be labelled a troll by certain members of the community. If you say that ATI has screwed up for reason Y, you will be labelled a troll.

Maybe if we elected Troll Selectors or assigned it randomly to people with a post count above threshold Z, it might work. But, in that form, no, it would be too messy.

digitalwanderer 10-06-03 03:00 PM

Forum deputies? Hmm.....

saturnotaku 10-06-03 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Baron
Maybe if we elected Troll Selectors or assigned it randomly to people with a post count above threshold Z, it might work. But, in that form, no, it would be too messy.
Sort of like a "Troll Council" then? This group could be a subset who would report to the mods. While I like the idea, I think it adds too much bureaucracy (sp?).

ragejg 10-06-03 03:03 PM

quick, to the bat phone!!

:p

SurfMonkey 10-06-03 03:05 PM

I still think it could be done. Members with >x number of posts could be eligible for troll voting and members with over >y number of posts could be excluded from being voted a troll, one of the pleasures of being a good forum member :D

It would certainly make people think twice about dumping in forums if they knew they could be visually labeled as a troll. Think of it as a kind of self regulation for new members.

[edit]

Posts that were voted as being troll posts could be reviewed at a later date and the mods could then decide whether it was a fair vote or not, people who troll vote to often could simply have the priviledge removed. If it was done correctly it could save the mods time and effort in castigating the monkeys who make such a mess in the forums.

It's just that it really annoys me that we don't really have any way of marking these people.

[/edit]

saturnotaku 10-06-03 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SurfMonkey
I still think it could be done. Members with >x number of posts could be eligible for troll voting and members with over >y number of posts could be excluded from being voted a troll, one of the pleasures of being a good forum member :D

Only problem with that is you'd have to keep an extra-careful eye on spam posting. In order to be excluded, I would say you'd have to have over 2500 or some astronomically high number. It couldn't just be like 500 or something.

digitalwanderer 10-06-03 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saturnotaku
Only problem with that is you'd have to keep an extra-careful eye on spam posting. In order to be excluded, I would say you'd have to have over 2500 or some astronomically high number. It couldn't just be like 500 or something.
How about a nice round 4,000? :angel2: