nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Halo impressions thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19323)

saturnotaku 10-01-03 10:26 PM

Halo impressions thread

I was going to post this in the Halo gone gold thread, but I think now that the game is officially in retail it warrants a thread for all to respond who are playing/have played the PC version of Halo.

I had Halo for Xbox and while I enjoyed it immensely, I still missed having a keyboard and mouse to use. But now, after all these years of waiting, I have my keyboard and mouse, I have my higher resolution, I have a game that uses my graphics hardware features and frankly...I'm disappointed.

Someone brought it up in the other thread, but I feel it bears repeating here. This game reeks of cheap console port instead of game that was built from the ground up using some of the code that was written before the big Microsoft buyout/Xbox only introduction. I'm hoping some of the game performance issues will be sorted out via patches. I'm not expecting miracles here, but it would be nice if my framerate wouldn't drop into the teens on occasion without having anisotropic filtering or FSAA enabled. The 60 Hz thing is annoying as hell, too. I shouldn't have to add a switch to the command line to make sure the game doesn't crash if I use Refresh Force. The mouse control/sensitivity is bull. I'm a twitch FPS player, meaning I have my mouse senitivity set higher than normal. But even with it turned up in the game, the time it takes to turn around still feels like it did with my Xbox. The sound is buggy with EAX enabled.

Again, I hope patches can sort some of thsi stuff out, but this game has all the look and feel of yet another rushed console port. Problem is, they've had more than a freaking year to work on it!! I'm half-tempted to write Bungie an e-mail expressing my disappointment. I think multiplayer is going to be the only saving grace for this game. :(

jAkUp 10-01-03 10:42 PM

i agree.. ive never played halo on xbox, but i just picked up the game today, and to me, it definetely looks like a rushed port. the framerate dips into the teens for no reason at all... the game doesnt look nearly as good as unreal2, or anything, yet it still dips.

and here is proof that is is a pretty much direct console port= 30fps locked for gameplay. of course you can turn it off, but the cutscenes dont work properly. some of the game looks pretty, then other parts look super ugly. some textures are super low resolution.

the mouse feels awkward.. kinda laggy.

oh well, at least max payne 2 comes out in a couple weeks

halo for pc reminds me of gta3 for pc, a rushed port that ran slow on any computer... gtavc was much better optimized.

saturnotaku 10-01-03 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jAkUp
halo for pc reminds me of gta3 for pc, a rushed port that ran slow on any computer... gtavc was much better optimized.
I could see and sympathize for this if Halo for PC and Xbox came out at the same time. But they were so far apart and everything was delayed so much that I wasn't terribly enthusiastic about picking it up. My expectations were pretty low and so far this game hasn't exceeded any of them. If it doesn't get any better in a couple patch releases, I'll probably send the game back to Bungie and tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

RoachMojo 10-02-03 12:13 AM

Well..Halo...

I've been eagerly awaiting this game and I too am very dissapointed.

Any game whose framerate drops to 6 fps at times (on the Truth level in the capital ship) on my system is just not ready for the market. That's at 1024x768 details maxed with no AA, no AF, and EAX disabled.

The thing is, it doesn't look THAT good to account for such crappy performance. It HAS to be a bug.

Although the gameplay is interesting and pretty fun, the lousy performance and rushed pc port feel just doesn't warrent the $50+ price tag. Not even $20, imho.

I'll be returning it tomorrow. If a patch is eventually released that increases the performance to the point of being playable, then I'll pick it up again at the inevitable discount price.

LycosV 10-02-03 01:00 AM

This game shows the epitomy of PPP (Piss Poor Programming). As everyone else here as stated, it doesn't look that good, and it runs like crap. I have noticed that turning off the gloss/shiny/whatever that option is off makes the game run MUCH better. Not great, but much better.

LycosV

danlofgren 10-02-03 01:33 AM

Halo bad? Yes // Halo good? Yes.

Don't worry - i'm not about to review the game. I'll simply say i think most of us will agree Halo is an awesome game with performance issues (almost in-excuseable nowadays) due to development.

I agree with the above statements about the game being a disapointment (on one hand) -- meaning poor framerate and general poor performance (even on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro). By todays standards, it doesn't make sense. This over 1 year old game, should and could be better - no doubt.

However -- I also think the game is incredibly awesome.

I've never played the xbox version - and the more i play pc halo, the more i like it and the better it looks and impresses me as a solid and complete title.

Some, arguable inexusable, performance issues? Yes.

An awesome game nonetheless? Yes. (i've just obtained the 4wheeler and am practicing cruising around - very impressive controls).

So continue complaining and whining as many of us will. I see your points and i agree they are valid.

But I'm still going to enjoy the game - cause it's all new to me and it's better than a lot of other crap out there!

"There's more to games than framerates..."

RoachMojo 10-02-03 02:47 AM

Re: Halo bad? Yes // Halo good? Yes.

Quote:

Originally posted by danlofgren
(i've just obtained the 4wheeler and am practicing cruising around - very impressive controls).
I agree, that was awesome!

However...everything was fine up to and beyond that point for me, framerate-wise...then I hit the 6-8 fps spots on the cruiser and that just sucked ass. It's almost but not quite unplayable.

Right now I am torn between returning it, and keeping it to see if a patch can change performance.

Ill probably keep it, heh, because it IS prety damned fun. :)

-=DVS=- 10-02-03 03:02 AM

Review by DVS

GOT IT PLAYING IT LIKEING IT :D

Runs smoothly locked at 30FPS
VSYNC ON
AA OFF
AF OFF
ALL in game effects maxed @ 800x600 100hz
With not overcloaked system below useing Cats 3.7.

Dunno what everyone is talking i see no sutter or single digit frame rates :rolleyes: maybe people should stop running it at 1600x1200 its console game after all.

Yes its true its kinda low 30fps but its smooth and stable, graphic wise its somwhat Unreal 2 level more or less in different areas.

BUT !!! game is freakin fun to play not boreing like Unreal 2 , Halo big areas alot of life to kill and lots of lots of troops to help you :D

Game is nothing special but alot of fun ;)

PS this is without any patch , haven't installed it yet no need realy :p

StealthHawk 10-02-03 03:20 AM

What's this I hear about FSAA not working in Halo? Is it true?

MUYA 10-02-03 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by StealthHawk
Absolutely! U have to ask Digital Wanderer though as I forgot the url to eb which tells ya how to do it. Mind you u will miss a few effects, exactly what i forgot

CHeers

MUYA

saturnotaku 10-02-03 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by StealthHawk
Here's the info on how to get AA working. From what I can tell it does work, and I'm not missing a whole lot.

Quote:

Dunno what everyone is talking i see no sutter or single digit frame rates maybe people should stop running it at 1600x1200 its console game after all.
People are getting crappy performance even at 1024x768 on 9700 Pro cards. This is on a game that was originally demoed on a Mac with a TNT2-class card. I remember the Penny Arcade cartoon from 2000 that talked about the original Halo demo. I've followed development pretty closely the whole way. For all the time and effort that was suppoesedly put into this, the results are speaking for themselves.

Nutty 10-02-03 07:32 AM

I think the main issue is fillrate. The game was developed for Xbox which runs at 640x480. And even then it only does 30, sometimes lower.

If you run at 1280x960, you're doing 4 times the fillrate! I think its because pretty much everything in the game is bump-mapped and environment mapped. Even UT2k3 doesn't do an awful lot on most surfaces.