nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Linux Driver Updates: nVidia sleeping? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19335)

Megatron1983 10-10-03 08:00 AM

Linux Driver Updates: nVidia sleeping?

I have a DSL Problem with Linux and reported it to nVidia:

"I have a problem/bug with my nForce 1 board when connected via PPPoE on DSL with SuSE Linux 8.2 Pro using the nForce onboard Ethernet controller.
The problem is the following:
As soon as I open a website, for example www.nvidia.com, as long as the site is loading the cursor/mouse movement slows down a lot, it also effects browsing through the Linux options by slowing the menus down as well.

However, it only happens while opening a website and loading its contents, on a constant data stream for example downloading a 100 MB Linux file everything stays fluently.
As soon as the website and all of its contents are loaded, everything goes fluently again as well.
The problem happens with ALL browsers: Galeon, Mozilla, Firebird, Konqueror etc."

Their reply:

"Hello,

We are aware of this performance bug with nForce 1 and our nvnet driver since June. We are planning a fix for this bug in the future.

Sorry for the inconvenience,"

I really wonder what they mean with "in the future".
The fire out a new set of "unofficial" and "leaked" Cheatonator drivers for Winblows almost every week and need decades for releasing a new driver set for Linux.
The last Linux release is dated June 2003.

Yes I know Linux might only represent only 1% of the market, however, we are talking about a time span of not less that 4 months.
Even if Linux isnt a high priority thing at nV, in 4 months it should be possible to release an updated Linux driver.

Edit:
This post is not intended to start a flame war.
I simply am very disappointed about the entire situation.

SuLinUX 10-10-03 08:39 AM

Thats how it goes with Linux support, ATI didnot release a driver for about 8 months.

Nvidia GFX driver support in Linux is top quality indeed, I can play quiet a few of my favorite games in Linux without any trouble.

I'm sure it will be soon.

Megatron1983 10-13-03 04:41 PM

Well...

so can i...
I am speaking of an nvnet component that does not really work well.
And when going online with linux pretty much is more pain than gain and you can totally forget online gaming (Americas Army, Q3) or even normal surfing thanks to this bug in the driver which is known for a eternety then frustration grows.

I really hope they will fix it soon

russofris 10-14-03 01:43 AM

Re: Well...

Quote:

Originally posted by Megatron1983
so can i...
I am speaking of an nvnet component that does not really work well.
And when going online with linux pretty much is more pain than gain and you can totally forget online gaming (Americas Army, Q3) or even normal surfing thanks to this bug in the driver which is known for a eternety then frustration grows.

I really hope they will fix it soon

I would recommend sending an e-mail requesting the status of their upcomming driver release for your device. Be polite and specific. Something like this...

Good afternoon,
I would like to inquire as to the status of the upcomming linux driver for my nvnet module. I am experiencing difficulties with your current driver offering. Any information would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Your Name
Your product

See what you get back.

Thanx muchly,
Frank Russo

Megatron1983 10-14-03 05:34 AM

Okay

Will do so, I really hope they will reply...mail is away.

russofris 10-14-03 02:47 PM

Re: Okay

Quote:

Will do so, I really hope they will reply...mail is away.
Even if they don't reply, at least you will get the satisfaction of having tried (rather than just ranting on a web board like others here). I would send a paper letter if you don't hear back in a week or so.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

Megatron1983 10-14-03 03:06 PM

Well..

Would do so...if I wouldnt live in Germany.
I used to chat a lot with one of the nForce engineers, then 2002 after I sent him a christmas card he thanked me and never replied or anything to my emails again.

I sent him the Linux eMail too, hopely he will reply.

Megatron1983 10-15-03 06:37 AM

Weee!!

Just got a eMail from him saying that the bug is fixed and there are some last changes done on the drivers.
Looks like they should be released soon :)

Moled 10-15-03 06:56 AM

on this sort of issue does anybody know ANYTHING about what happened to andy?

Megatron1983 10-15-03 07:04 AM

Well..

His last post is was a eternety ago, I dont know...I remember him saying he barely has time to look at this webboard.

dpw2atox 10-15-03 04:23 PM

good its about time for a new nvidia driver release. Hopefully they will improve the performance also a little.

russofris 10-15-03 06:33 PM

Re: Weee!!

Quote:

Just got a eMail from him saying that the bug is fixed and there are some last changes done on the drivers.
Looks like they should be released soon :)

I've seen 'soon' mean a lot of different things. We can certainly hope for the best though. Thanks for giong through the due-diligance on this one M.

Frank Russo