nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Need a little help please, newbie (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19371)

RKY60 10-11-03 12:19 AM

Need a little help please, i'm close i think....

1 Attachment(s)
Hello :)

I've found lots of great info here so far, but i'm havin a bit of trouble. I realize the answer is here or somewhere, but i'm still not sure...

I can edit the inittab and XF86Config files just fine, and recover back to X once the install doesn't work. No problems getting the installer and such to run, but i'm gettin this kernal error, log attached.

If someone could explain what i need to do i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time :)

New install of Red Hat 9, all updates have been gotten. And pretty much every optional package has been installed....

russofris 10-11-03 02:28 AM

In order to compile against your kernel, you must install the kernel sources (the actual source code for the kernel). In RH9, this is done by going to

HAT
system settings
add/remove applications

and installing "kernel development"

you will thn have to run liveupdate to upgrade your kernel sources to match the new kernel that you already downloaded.

Then run the installer and it will be able to compile a kernel interface. Ping back if you have any problems.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

RKY60 10-11-03 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your help :)

I did what you suggested and it installed, but i never got the Nvidia screen. I attached the log once again, maybe i missed something, but nvidia is loaded as the display driver, but i'm still stuck at 800X600 resolution.

Thanks again...

feeyo 10-11-03 06:48 AM

Now what you have to do is edit the X86Config file and edit the line.
Driver "nv"
And change it to:
Driver "nvidia"

-------------------------
Section "Device"
BusID "2:0:0"
Driver "nvidia"
Identifier "Device[0]"
VendorName "NVidia"
EndSection
--------------------------

RKY60 10-11-03 07:05 AM

Yep, that was changed already, but still no luck. Must be something simple, me hopes :)

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
EndSection

Thanks for your input :)

feeyo 10-11-03 07:30 AM

Oooh your stuck on 800X600...
The Nvidia boot screen is not really a must, it can be that it is just disabled.

isn't there are hardware setup tool on RH?
In my distro i use SAX2 to configure the screen and graphics card.

RKY60 10-11-03 09:39 PM

Bump :)

Any idea here?

Soul-Crusher 10-12-03 06:25 AM

Could you post your /var/log/XFree86.0.log, please?

RKY60 10-12-03 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sure can :)

RKY60 10-12-03 04:50 PM

I don't know what i did, but i was messin around in Display Settings and changed the resolution, then logged out and the Nvidia splash screen appeared, but it still defaulted back to the same resolution, now the splash screen is gone again...

Soul-Crusher 10-12-03 08:28 PM

Looks like your horizontal sync and vertical sync values may be incorrectly specified in your XF86Config file. I'm not currently familiar with any graphical utilities, but the way I would fix this is to edit the XF86Config file manually and change these two lines:
HorizSync 30-81
VertRefresh 56-85

Those are my refresh rates, all you'd have to do is change the numbers around. The horizontal and vertical refresh rates should be specified in your monitor's manual.

RKY60 10-12-03 11:11 PM

Thanks :) , i'm now able to set the resolution higher, but i still don't see the Nividi splash screen. Will there be a nvidia control panel once these drivers do load properly?