nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   asus a7n266-vm lan problems (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19620)

steveo_mcg 10-16-03 10:50 AM

asus a7n266-vm lan problems

i'm having problems with the onboard lan for this mobo running redhat 9 and i gather from reading the boards so are a few other people. I down loaded the precompiled rpms from the drivers site but from reading these are for other kernal versions, so following advice given to others i tryed 'make' with the .tar and rpmbuild with the .src but neither return any thing but error messages (below).

this is the last few lines from the make
nvnet.c: In function `nvnet_resume':
nvnet.c:1347: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
nvnet.c:1350: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
nvnet.c:1355: warning: implicit declaration of function `netif_device_attach'
nvnet.c: At top level:
nvnet.c:99: storage size of `nvnet_driver' isn't known
make: *** [nvnet.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [nvnet.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/nforce/nvnet'
make: *** [nvnet_make] Error 2
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5539 (%build)

Using this command ends up with this eror: rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm

make[1]: *** [nvnet.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/nforce/nvnet'
make: *** [nvnet_make] Error 2
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5539 (%build)

RPM build errors:
user buildmeister does not exist - using root
Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5539 (%build)

any help, even an explanation of the error i might be able to work it out for my self, would be most appreciated as i am currently stuck transfering files from my main machine to the linux box on cd and back via floppy and i am going through lots of cd and i really really hate floppy discs. I am quite new at this linux stuff so simple steps for my simple head.

thanks all

steveo

paddy 10-21-03 07:34 PM

Similar problem I also need advice! There was an rpm for the driver for the kernel 2.4.20-6 but it gave some "unresolved symbols" when it ran. When I followed instructions to compile my own I got the hundreds of error messages finishing up something like stevio's. The first few error messages are all to do with using header files from /usr/include/linux instead of /lib/modules/2.4.20-6/build/include but in my set up this path is an alias for the path it doesn't like.

[root@localhost nvnet]# make
cc -c -Wall -DLINUX -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -D__KERNEL__ -O -Wstrict-prototypes -DCONFIG_PM -fno-strict-aliasing -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -falign-functions=4 -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.20-6/build/include nvnet.c

In file included from /usr/include/linux/module.h:20,
from nvnet.h:20,
from nvnet.c:21:
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error Modules should never use kernel-headers system headers,
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but rather headers from an appropriate kernel-source package.
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:3:2: #error Change -I/usr/src/linux/include (or similar) to
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:4:2: #error -I/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:5:2: #error to build against the currently-running kernel.
In file included from
/usr/include/linux/fs.h:23,
from /usr/include/linux/capability.h:17,
from /usr/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:9,
from nvnet.h:23,
/usr/include/linux/string.h:8:2: warning: #warning Using kernel header in userland!
In file included from
/usr/include/linux/sched.h:14,
/usr/include/linux/timex.h:173: field `time' has incomplete type
In file included from
/usr/include/linux/bitops.h:69,
from /usr/include/asm/system.h:7,
from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:16,
/usr/include/asm/bitops.h:327:2: warning: #warning This includefile is not available on all architectures.
/usr/include/asm/bitops.h:328:2: warning: #warning Using kernel headers in userspace: atomicity not guaranteed
In file included from /usr/include/linux/signal.h:4,
from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:25,
etc
etc
etc