nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Powersupply help needed. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1993)

Zarich 09-18-02 08:00 PM

Powersupply help needed.

Okay. here is my setup

Asus a7v133
AMD thunderbird 1.2
512 megs of ram pc133 kingston
geforce 3ti500
sblive value
netgear ethernet card
linksys ethernet card

My current powersupply is only giving me 14amps on the 3.3 line.
Im assuming that this is why I am freezing all the time in games.

When looking for a new powersupply what amp ratings should I be looking for.

Any recommendations for a new ps?

Smokey 09-19-02 06:20 AM

Well I am thinking about getting one of these Q-TEC 550

A good 550 power supply at a cheap price, the link is to a review, so go take a look and read what is said.

sbp 09-19-02 04:12 PM

www.pcpowerandcooling.com makes good power supplies.

saturnotaku 09-19-02 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sbp
www.pcpowerandcooling.com makes good power supplies.
Yeah, that cost a small fortune. Save some money and pick up a nice Antec True Power or, if you really want to keep a budget but still get a good PSU, Leadman's 500W model is excellent.

Essense 09-19-02 11:33 PM

Enermax makes the best. Can get a 350 watt, duel fan unit for 49$

Other then that, I hear Sparkle is damn good too.

Regards,
Mike

Smokey 09-20-02 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Essense
Enermax makes the best. Can get a 350 watt, duel fan unit for 49$

Other then that, I hear Sparkle is damn good too.

Regards,
Mike

Did you read the review I posted in my above post? here is a quote from that review.

Quote:

Altogether a good result, even more so when you consider the 431W Enermax failed to allow the system to complete the benchmarks. The Enermax could only deliver 4.60V under load so the system instability was hardly surprising. To be fair the XP2100/K7S5A/GF4 is a tough load and the ECS motherboard is renowned for being fussy over PSU's.
This is a 30.00 Incl VAT 2 shipping anywhere in the UK, gold casing, and two clear fans.

Essense 09-20-02 10:17 PM

I havent read the review, but from above qoute, sounds like a crappy motherboard, I too had a motherboard that had problems with this powersupply, and it eventually burnt out. The PSU had nothing to do with it, just happends that somtimes Motherboard manufactors don't stick to the guidelines they ought too. That isent the PSU manufactor fault. If Enermax isent your cup of tea, go for Sparkle, ThermalTake also has some new ones that are supposed to be good.

Regards,
Mike

LORD-eX-Bu 09-25-02 01:45 AM

Zarich, get a PowMax LP-6100e Power supply, they retail for $139, but on pricewatch you can find them for $40. Enough power to run anything(500W AMD and P4 Certified and Recommended). They are great, I should know, I own one.:D