nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Discuss BFG 5700 Ultra Review (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19949)

Clay 10-23-03 09:59 AM

Discuss BFG 5700 Ultra Review

Here is where you can discuss my latest review here at nV News, ask questions, offer suggestions, etc, etc.

Link to review:
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/bfg_geforce_fx_5700_ultra

panzaman 10-23-03 10:03 AM

...yep, where's the review?

The Baron 10-23-03 10:11 AM

Except it works now. So this is a MOOT POINT OF DOOM!

The Baron 10-23-03 10:16 AM

Quote:

My SWAG on these results is that the BFG 5700 Ultra held its own for the most part regarding OpenGL performance. The large discrepancy in the Direct3D demos is a more difficult call and one I'll wait on making until I know more. At any rate, these are not representative of game performance and hopefully Humus (or others) can shed some light on things in the near future.
Well... to be nitpicky:

1. The first demo didn't work because of the render targets bit. GFFX cards do not support it, as far as I know.

2. The performance delta is because of PS2.0 speed, basically, and the fact that a 9800 Pro is 8x1 while the 5700 Ultra is... uhhh... 4x2? 2x2?

Clay 10-23-03 10:21 AM

Thanks Tim, I'll add your clarifications to the review ASAP...got that link to page 9 fixed...that's what I get for not sleeping last night! :D

mikechai 10-23-03 10:29 AM

Reading it now ...
++ lots of nice pics.
++ Nice layout.

Clay 10-23-03 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mikechai
Reading it now ...
++ lots of nice pics.
++ Nice layout.

Thanks! I wish I'd had more time...I will be adding more games to this review if at all possible.

MUYA 10-23-03 10:33 AM

Nice stuff Clay!!! I will post front page asap....not on my own computer, long stiry made short, i made a booboo while flashing my mobo, got it fixed at the local ABIt distributors. !! But lets not let that detract from a nice review mate!!

I wonder how it fare against the 9600XT head to head.

Cheers
MUYA

The Baron 10-23-03 10:40 AM

Very tasty review. Great job on such a short time span.

...and Sweet Mother of God, you quoted me. Scary. If you'd like, I could shoot you 9600 Pro numbers from Icetomb (I could do some crazy underclocking stuff, try to get my machine as close to yours as possible).

Clay 10-23-03 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MUYA
Nice stuff Clay!!! I will post front page asap....not on my own computer, long stiry made short, i made a booboo while flashing my mobo, got it fixed at the local ABIt distributors. !! But lets not let that detract from a nice review mate!!

I wonder how it fare against the 9600XT head to head.

Cheers
MUYA

Thanks MUYA! I already posted, Mike asked that I do that...took me forever...couldn't find my login info! I so sleepie...must...get...shower...and...coffee... :D

I heard about your mobo woes, glad you're back online!! Can you send out e-mail notifications? Just wondering if Mike asked you to or not, he didn't say anything to me about that and I know you're the one with all the connections. :D

Later!

Clay 10-23-03 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Baron
Very tasty review. Great job on such a short time span.

...and Sweet Mother of God, you quoted me. Scary. If you'd like, I could shoot you 9600 Pro numbers from Icetomb (I could do some crazy underclocking stuff, try to get my machine as close to yours as possible).

Well hey, thanks Tim. :D Yeah you're quoteworthy from time-to-time!

Sure, I'd love to get some 9600Pro numbers from you...now now...my puter ain't all THAT slow. Hhahaah...I need a freakin' upgrade! I'm outta here for a while...whew! :)

darkmiasma 10-23-03 10:48 AM

i liked the layout and thought it was a very well organized review. i am disappointed that you did not benchmark the card at stock speeds in addition to the overclocked speeds.

overall i thought you did a good job, i just would have preferred that extra bit of info be included.

- mike