nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   *** Official Sim City (5) Discussion *** (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=201477)

FastRedPonyCar 02-08-13 10:22 AM

*** Official Sim City (5) Discussion ***

I missed out on the beta but from the video series below, it looks really fun.

I'll be honest, I haven't played a sim city since the original one on SNES/PC so I'm feeling a bit intimidated but everyone who has played it says that there is no hardcore micromanagement needed to enjoy the game and a lot of the nitty gritty stuff is streamlined.

The always on DRM, assuming their servers are robust enough to cope with the network load (which I have no doubt they will be) doesn't really bother me too much.

Anyone else excited about this one?

sillyeagle 03-02-13 09:02 PM

Re: *** Official Sim City (5) Discussion ***

I'll be getting this. Should be fun to play around with for a while.

Q 03-03-13 04:04 PM

I have really mixed emotions on this one. I loved 2000/4000. However, I was much younger with much more time. In addition, the DRM bull**** is a bit too far for my level of comfort. Reminds me of the Ubisoft style that had backlash two years ago. I spend too much money on video games to be treated like a ****ing criminal.

FastRedPonyCar 03-05-13 10:01 AM

should be delivered today from amazon. Will be late before I get to play it so maybe if there are any server issues, they'll have started taking care of them by that point.

Starscream 03-05-13 01:21 PM

Francis is upset about Simcity.

Seriously NSFW like all of his clips.

tornadog 03-08-13 01:53 PM

Heres my impressions from yesterday night's session;

Logged in to Origin, downloaded game, download was fast. Started the game, said there was an update, started updating, kept going and going. So went to watch Person of Interest. Came back and was ready to play, was connected to the Europe server. So I checked the server list and selected USA East. Kept spinning for 5 minutes and finally connected. Clicked play, could hear the intro music but screen was blank. After 2 minutes, connection dropped and back to the launch screen. Click play again and finally in. It asks me to play the tutorial.

City loads, takes another 2 minutes to load. Once in the city, it asks me to build a road. An arrow shows where to click but theres nothing there. Invisible menu items. Hover over and then click blindly and yay road selected. Go through a few more things laying down zones. Each time menu item is invisible. Next it tells me to get water from nearby city, and to click the region map. Click. Blank screen. 3 minutes later connection dropped and back to home screen. Now tutorial option is gone. All I have is play and I can select other peoples cities or whatever. Click quit.

To be continued tonight....

FastRedPonyCar 03-08-13 02:22 PM

I had a 3 and a half hour wait to play on wed night so I just played path of exile instead. Last night at first it let me in but would hang up trying to load my region and then a little later I tried again and it let me play with zero dropped connections.

From what I've heard from my coworkers, everyone else had no problems playing either and everyone I think in my office is playing on a different server so if maxis can keep it up then my hats off to them for turning this around so quickly.

Q 03-08-13 07:11 PM

What a giant cluster bomb of **** this release has been. They decided to go long on social experiences and starve the buyer of single player on a game KNOWN to be loved by nerds.

They took a risk. I hope it fails. I just wish there was a true Sim City 4000 successor for us nerds.

sytaylor 03-14-13 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tornadog (Post 2587616)
Heres my impressions from yesterday night's session;

Logged in to Origin, downloaded game, download was fast. Started the game, said there was an update, started updating, kept going and going. So went to watch Person of Interest. Came back and was ready to play, was connected to the Europe server. So I checked the server list and selected USA East. Kept spinning for 5 minutes and finally connected. Clicked play, could hear the intro music but screen was blank. After 2 minutes, connection dropped and back to the launch screen. Click play again and finally in. It asks me to play the tutorial.

City loads, takes another 2 minutes to load. Once in the city, it asks me to build a road. An arrow shows where to click but theres nothing there. Invisible menu items. Hover over and then click blindly and yay road selected. Go through a few more things laying down zones. Each time menu item is invisible. Next it tells me to get water from nearby city, and to click the region map. Click. Blank screen. 3 minutes later connection dropped and back to home screen. Now tutorial option is gone. All I have is play and I can select other peoples cities or whatever. Click quit.

To be continued tonight....

Had similar problems with the bits of the screen missing, found the way to resolve was to go not full screen and play in windowed mode.

Loads pretty quickly and works fine for me. Got a 3 city area, first city is getting quite large, second one is buying in everything from the first, so its tough to build anything including roads... Long

Trying to make it a tourist town, and then have people commute to my mining town.