nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   System freezes while gaming with a GeForce4 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=204)

Grimwall 07-30-02 06:57 PM

Major problem with geforce 4, PLEASE HELP!

I just upgraded my computer.Here is what i got:

Gigabyte GA-7VRX motherboard
Athlon XP 2000+
Maxtor HD 7200rpms, 60Gb
256 DDRAM

and

ASUS Geforce 4 , V8440 Deluxe

I set up the new system on windows xp professional and all seemed to work just fine until after 3 days my computer starts freezing during games and i need to restart. i'm playing in 1024x768 resolution with every detail set to high, fsaa in 4x and 32 bit colour depth.
I've tried many drivers, from the original 28.32 to nvidia's 29.42
and 30.30 detonator but the problem remains.
it started when i first installed the 29.42 and now it won't go away whatever driver i put on.
Unfortunately i hear many problems with geforce 4 cards and i'm beginning to wonder if i made the right choice after all....

i'm really open to suggestions, thanks in advance for any advice

netviper13 07-30-02 07:03 PM

Sounds like it could be a heat issue, or not enough juice from the PSU. You're not overclocking the card are you?

Grimwall 07-30-02 07:07 PM

Of course not! i just bought it! overclocking comes after about a month when everything else is ok ;) what do i do if it is really a cooling problem?

sancheuz 07-30-02 07:12 PM

Oh no, you got the infamous infinite loop problem. You say it only occurs during games? OH, well you are not alone.
First make sure you are providing enough power for it, make sure you have at least a 300 watt power supply. Also for some people, something that has worked is setting your agp speed to 2x instead of 4x, you can do this from your computer bios. If that doesnt work, that best thing you can do is quickly go to the store, return your video card, and get another one preferably with another gpu or brand.

netviper13 07-30-02 07:13 PM

Add more case ventillation and get a better HSF for the CPU.

tieros 07-30-02 07:57 PM

How about via 4-in-1 drivers? Probably a silly question, but I have forgotten them a time or two myself.

Grimwall 07-30-02 08:01 PM

you know, just after i started this thread i remembered them and rushed to install them but the problem wasn't solved.
I'm starting to believe that it is a cooling problem.Tomorrow i will install a new case ventilation fan. hope it solves the problem. I just hope it isn't a faulty card...

netviper13 07-30-02 08:54 PM

With WinXP it wouldn't be a 4-in-1 issue. Another way you could check to see if it's a heat issue would be to take the side of your case off, and see if the problem goes away.

Chalnoth 07-30-02 09:09 PM

Pointing a house fan into the open side of the case would also help to determine whether or not heat was the problem. If heat is the problem, you will need better ventillation in the case.

saturnotaku 07-30-02 10:02 PM

You never did mention your power supply rating. If you're running anything less than 300 watts, no amount of extra cooling in the world will make a difference.

Otherwise it sounds like a heat problem, or it could be some faulty memory as well. Have you tried swapping out your RAM for another stick?

Cotita 07-30-02 10:07 PM

An easy way to know if it's a cooling problem. Leave the case open and use a house fan (damn Chalnoth just said that). You can also underclock the card, say like 200/200 or so.

Grimwall 07-31-02 04:32 AM

The power supply unit is 400Watts. However, having installed ASUS Smart Doctor, a program that monitors the card's status,temp etc, it sometimes rings in windows saying that the motherboard is supplying it with way too much power, over the safe 1.5V. As for the case it is always open,and i'm going to install a new fan in it. I'll be back to say if it solved. Thanks for your help!