nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   9600GT driver issues? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=205667)

Zapablast05 05-19-13 12:33 PM

9600GT driver issues?

Hey all! It's been forever since I've posted here, or even just had any PC issues to post about for solutions. This weekend I've been having a lot of issues with my video card drivers in Vista. I updated to the latest drivers (314.07) through Windows Update from the 306.97 driver. I've always had SLI enabled without issues. Ever since I updated the drivers, I get the "driver nvdwhatever has failed and has recovered" error message whenever I'm gaming. It seems to happen about 10 minutes into ANY game, and quite frequently at around 10 minutes. When it does crash, the screen freezes, the sound loops, and finally goes black and looks for signal. Once I get my picture back, my game sound returns, but I see my desktop. When I hit the windows key, or minimize the game, I can see the error bubble at the notification area. Once I click on DoD:S or CS:GO (I mainly play Valve games when this happens), the screen with go back to full screen, the audio will return, but I still see my desktop. I can shoot and run around, but I only see my desktop, but I hear all the actions in game. I removed my overclock on everything, and it all yielded no results. I switched around the cards and nothing. I've tried uninstalling the video card driver, downloading the newest one from the nvidia website, and I still get the same results. So I uninstalled it and rolled back to the 306.97 driver, OC's all off, and STILL nothing. Could it be that there was something installed during the Windows Update that's conflicting with the driver, or could it possibly be that my video cards are about to croak? I've had them since release day...Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Zapablast05 05-20-13 11:16 PM

Re: 9600GT driver issues?

Almost 100 views in a 36 hour period and not a single bit advice? C'mon guys, help a brother out! :o:o

mullet 05-21-13 09:16 AM

1. Open Installed Updates by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then, under Programs and Features, clicking View installed updates.

2. Click the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Never install drivers from windows update!!!!!!!! Just find the driver you installed delete it and the stand alone driver from Nvidia and start all over.

Zapablast05 05-21-13 10:56 AM

Thanks for the response, mullet. I uninstalled the driver with Driver Sweeper before I did anything else and installed a driver from the nvidia website and I'm still getting the problem. I tried it with the newest driver and the driver I had before the update. I'll try uninstalling through the windows update method. I feel like it'll yield no results.

mullet 05-21-13 05:35 PM

Did you uninstall the windows driver you got from windows update?

Did you go through your system folders after you uninstalled all Nvidia folders after you uninstall all nvidia drivers?

Zapablast05 05-26-13 11:28 AM

I'm about to give this a try right now. I just got home from Pendleton last night.

Zapablast05 05-26-13 12:24 PM

Okay so after uninstalling everything the way you explained, I'm still getting the same error. I'm physically troubleshooting the cards, maybe it could just be that SLI support is just **** now. A friend of mine told me that it could be the SLI bridge that's just starting to give out. I played DoD:S with SLI disabled and I had no issue. I swapped the card's positions and I'm going to do the same. Then I'll try a physical single card configuration. Could it be possible that the bridge is just taking a **** on me and that the secondary card is sitting idle? I read something about how Windows has a timeout period on video cards. I can see how that will effect SLI if both the cards are detected, but the bridge isn't allowing stable data continuity between the two cards. Idk, I'm just talking out my ass right now bah.

Zapablast05 06-09-13 02:05 PM

Nothing has worked so far. I mean, I found an old SLI bridge I've never used before. I'm going to go ahead and give that a try. It's the least I can do before I consider my cards a loss (in SLI).

Zapablast05 06-22-13 01:08 PM

Alright, so I updated to the latest nforce drivers I can find and geforce drivers. I can't even get into SWTOR anymore in SLI. I have to disable it in order to play. When I had SLI enabled, I would frequently get the "nvlddmkm has stopped responding" message. I noticed that my FPS without SLI is the same as it was with it enabled. I ran some benchmarks and stress tests for SLI and it's only stressing GPU 1 and GPU 2 sits idle. I'm beginning to think that Vista is detecting GPU2 as idle and rebooting the driver. How can I fix this? I haven't seen this happen to me before :/

Zapablast05 06-23-13 02:31 AM

I just played 6 hours of SWTOR with different card configurations. I would play with one card in a different slot and PCI-E power connector every hour or so and I had no issues at all. Then I put the cards back inside, secured all connections. About 30 minutes into SLI, nvlddmkm stopped responding. Is this a driver issue? Even with PhysX processing set to my CPU, I still get the error. Please help..

Zapablast05 07-08-13 08:16 PM

Problem solved with different driver testing! Seems like everything was just getting picky. I fixed the finicky driver issue the day before yesterday and my 650Ti Boost came today -____-. Welp, looks like something's for sale! Thanks for the err.....(microsoft style) support! lol :p