nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   here's the path to backup EA Origin games (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=207789)

wheeljack12 07-21-13 07:21 PM

here's the path to backup EA Origin games

to backup Origin games, you can do it one of two ways. You can backup the whole Origin Games directory (C:\program files(x86)\Origin Games). Or you can go one directory deeper and backup individual games directories inside of the Origin games folder. If you delete the folder of choice just to test and restore that directory, Origin will ask to download again on delete and then let you play again upon Restore of the Orgin games or individual game directory. Thanks goes to Crainger who gave me the hint on how to do this. This is because Origin is supposed to keep game installers for backup but it deletes them upon install of the game instead. so this is the only way to backup your digital download that you may not want to spend hours downloading again.

crainger 07-21-13 10:41 PM

Re: here's the path to backup EA Origin games

Thanks mate. I'll use this method from now on.

I don't think my old method still works. I download the game, run the installer, but before I click finish I back up it's extracted directory before Origin deletes it all.

JerimiaBell 07-30-13 08:32 AM

Is there any way to save backups of games like Underground1 and 2? Those are the only NFS that does not have a savedata in the documents.. Thanks in advance.

wheeljack12 07-31-13 01:57 AM

if your looking for game saves, take a look at my thread about 4 ways to backup game saves. This thread is for backing up the game itself so you don't have to redownload it. it's in the gaming central threads (same as this thread).

wheeljack12 08-11-13 06:47 AM

Also, when you copy back the game folder into the origin games directory, Orgin will tell you to download instead of play if you uninstall origin and then reinstall the origin app. Don't worry, just click on download and it will switch to installing right away from your storage drive.

shteve 08-12-13 08:32 AM

If you go to the advanced settings page in Origin, you can change the install folders and there's also a tick box (unticked by default) that says to keep game installers after installing.

wheeljack12 08-13-13 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shteve (Post 2593840)
If you go to the advanced settings page in Origin, you can change the install folders and there's also a tick box (unticked by default) that says to keep game installers after installing.

it doesn't work. You would have to catch the game before installing which is next to impossible before install as it does not keep the installers after install even if you check that check box. Trust me, go to that path after you install a game. It will be empty. The reason I made this thread is because that doesn't work. It's a screwup on EA's part or on purpose so we wouldn't be able to actually have a copy of the data.