nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   NV30 not taped out yet? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=208)

Megatron 07-30-02 06:27 PM

Nv30 not taped out yet?

For those who dont make it to rage3D. There was an interesting thread there that has a link you may want to check out.

Hehehe...If true..ATI is doing the laughing now. Going to be a good christmas season for the boys/girls in red.:D

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33628954

netviper13 07-30-02 06:40 PM

I dunno, but there sure has been a lot of action on the NV30 front lately. I'm actually fairly sure that can't be accurate, as nVidia's CEO said announcement of the next-generation chip would occur in August. 4 months from announcement to release is corporate suicide.

PCarr78 07-30-02 06:45 PM

Oh, you mean communists.

Yes.

I suppose it will be a good christmas.

They have behaved themselves all year and santa's gonna be good to them!

Chalnoth 07-30-02 08:12 PM

Actually, I just read recently that the NV30 will ship in volume in October (I was expecting a November release at the time, actually).

This late in development, I'd say that the data is very accurate.

Bigus Dickus 07-30-02 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chalnoth
Actually, I just read recently that the NV30 will ship in volume in October (I was expecting a November release at the time, actually).

This late in development, I'd say that the data is very accurate.

We'll see. nVIDIA is going to have to pull off the fastest tape-out to full production ramp in history.

StealthHawk 07-30-02 09:36 PM

the stock went up 7% today :p hard to believe with such bad news don't you think?

noname 07-30-02 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by StealthHawk
the stock went up 7% today :p hard to believe with such bad news don't you think?
you might want to check out the aftermarket quotes when the bad news broke. it got hammered.... down 24%... here

noname

Megatron 07-30-02 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chalnoth
As of today the Nv30 was still not taped out.
In the past Nvidia has averaged about 100 days from finishing taping out to getting production..but these averages were with "refreshed parts" .
Do you believe they will be able to make the same speed with a new product? Or will it not matter at that point?
On the conference call Huang (spelling? ) sounded a little shaky when answering the Nv30 questions he was asked. And said they were hopeful they could keep up the timetable they have in the past...but it didnt sound like he was sure if they could or could not meet this same speed.

If they do ship any in October or November, i think they will be very very limited quantities at best. But well just have to wait and see obviously.

Megatron 07-30-02 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]
Oh, you mean communists.

Yes.

I suppose it will be a good christmas.

They have behaved themselves all year and santa's gonna be good to them!

ROFL.:D :D

netviper13 07-30-02 09:53 PM

The road to .13 is a long and shaky one, but I think it will pay off for nVidia in the end.

Clockwork 07-31-02 12:00 AM

netviper13 and Chalnoth, I find it very interesting that you were so quick to challenge the accuracy of this news.

Maybe after realizing this news came directly from Jen-Hsun Huang's mouth you will finally accept it as the truth. (In addition to nVidia's hefty stock decrease today)

Don't take this as a flame, I just hate to see you guys embarrass yourselves.

StealthHawk 07-31-02 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by noname

you might want to check out the aftermarket quotes when the bad news broke. it got hammered.... down 24%... here

noname

hmm, indeed. it would seem that today's increase was attributed to the fact that nvidia declared it would decrease production with TSMC and give more of its business to UMC