nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Other Desktop Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   why I can't go back to AMD (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=211102)

wheeljack12 10-10-13 05:19 PM

why I can't go back to AMD

Back in 2011, I made one last ditch attempt to make amends with AMD/ATI. I sold off my 3 way gtx 580 setup and purchased two xfx radeon 6990's and a samsung sa950 3d monitor. One, back then amd 3d gaming wasn't supported in Crossfire through amd hd3d or DDD's tridef.
So my monitor was a waste. That has been solved but should have not been an issue from the beginnings of AMD 3d gaming. Two, two cards could not get playable framerates for a opengl game (rage from ID) with one single or two crossfired dual gpu cards. Does AMD still have opengl issues? Probably. Because one gtx 580 3gb card outdid those two cards for opengl in a heartbeat with Rage with very playable framerates. Meaning I sold off the monitor and two 6990's for the gtx 580 and a new monitor. And third, the finding out from the frame rating system that crossfired cards displayed such poor naked to the eye FPS until they added frame pacing. How many of you AMD users are still switching between 3 or 4 drivers just to get a game to be playable? With Nvidia, install one up to date driver, that's it, no issues. And SLI proved how well it handled mutli gpu over the years in frame ratings. I wish frame rating was around before I had the 6990's. It would saved me over $2000.

Shamrock 10-10-13 09:24 PM

Re: why I can't go back to AMD

I have no need to go back to nV. My AMD card runs strong and I haven't updated drivers in over 3 months. I game on a 7850OC on an LPS monitor (2560x1440).

That, and I don't worry about nV drivers bricking cards, and setting them on fire (it would turn off the fan).

wheeljack12 10-11-13 06:39 AM

you are right about the bricking and fire with nvidia cards. Both related to isolated issues one driver each. You probably haven't done a upgrade of your drivers though due to worry about your compatibility in general. The problems I speak of have been wide spread for all AMD cards either from the beginning of a tech released (3d gaming and 3d gaming w/crossfire, remember 3d gaming started with the 5000 series) or technologies that have had problems overlooked for about 6-7 years (crossfire frame pacing). I feel bad for those thinking that the r 25x,26x.27x an 28x series of cards are a big change. The output config for eyefinity on the r series now there should have been there along time ago. One thing nvidia realized, No one was going to use dx 11.1 due to it's short shelf life (windows 8.1 having dx 11.2 being released a year later). Yes, the new AMD series has dx 11.2 compatibility, but isn't AMD making driver compatibility for dx 11.2 for the 7000 series also? What they should have done instead of just rebranding was add cores and major speed improvements to the comparable 7000 series card in the r series. And with Battlefield 4, it has dx 11.2 and mantle compatibility. AMD pick one and stick with it. I see dx 11.2 compatibiity for nvidia coming with the maxwell series next year with maxwell because aside from one game (battlfield 4), who has made a dx 11.1 or dx 11.2 game in the past year? I know it sounds unfair for dx 11.2 but I do have a point with dx 11.1.

Shamrock 10-11-13 09:16 PM

You are absipositlutely wrong. Stop ASSuming. I don't change drivers often, because what I have, works. My drivers (13.10 beta 1) works with everything I throw at it. And at 1440p.

Either way, I won't argue with you, as I like both companies. I am an enthusiast, not a fanboy

wheeljack12 10-12-13 04:06 PM

I am an enthuiast too. I apologize for assuming, my bad. It's just when you purchase like $14-1600 in hardware that's top of the line (the 6990's), you expect to get what you pay for, not less. That's what's turned me off of AMD for graphics. I added my brother's system to my sig just to show you that I do appreciate AMD for other things, just not their graphics. My post should have read why I can't go back to AMD graphics. I am Canadian. ATI was a Canadian product before AMD. And I still prefer a US based company from the beginning. Heck if I could have, I would have bought the Asus sabertooth r2.0/gen3 990fx mb since I already had a fx 8350 at the time. The only economical mb with dual x16 3.0 slots for multi gpu.