nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bad luck with video card fans? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2112)

Switch 09-22-02 05:45 PM

Anyone else had terrible luck with video card fans?

My Visiontek GeForce3's fan has died yet again. This is the second time and I'm sick of it. I had the same problems with every previous video card that I've owned... Except for my GeForce2 MX's which didn't use active cooling. Has anyone else had to go through video card fans like this?

PCarr78 09-22-02 07:07 PM

Re: Anyone else had terrible luck with video card fans?

Quote:

Originally posted by Switch
My Visiontek GeForce3's fan has died yet again. This is the second time and I'm sick of it. I had the same problems with every previous video card that I've owned... Except for my GeForce2 MX's which didn't use active cooling. Has anyone else had to go through video card fans like this?
Maybe they're getting too much voltage

Switch 09-22-02 07:29 PM

Re: Re: Anyone else had terrible luck with video card fans?

Quote:

Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]

Maybe they're getting too much voltage

How could I adjust or even see how much voltage they're getting? These fans are powered off of the video card. The voltage from the power supply is very stable as well.

thcdru2k 09-22-02 07:30 PM

eek definately a mb or ps problem. too many bad video cards for coincedence.

Switch 09-22-02 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by thcdru2k
eek definately a mb or ps problem. too many bad video cards for coincedence.
It's not the cards. Just the fans cooling them. Other than the fans, I've never had problems with the cards.

Spectral 09-23-02 09:16 AM

Its because a lot of the fans they put on videocards are cheap toys. Ive had the same problem... Now, when I buy new cards I normally bolt on a cpu fan where the old fan was... Still havent actually ever taken off any of the heatsinks on videocards.

PCarr78 09-23-02 02:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Anyone else had terrible luck with video card fans?

Quote:

Originally posted by Switch

How could I adjust or even see how much voltage they're getting? These fans are powered off of the video card. The voltage from the power supply is very stable as well.

Split open the calbes going to the fan and stick a multimeter onto the bare contacts. Close up with electrical tape when done

saturnotaku 09-23-02 02:12 PM

The fan on my Ti4600 has been going strong ever since I bought the card. Same thing for my GeForce3 when I had the stock cooler on it.

All I can say is pick up a Blue Orb for cheap and slap that on your GF3. I did that for mine and it worked great, especially with the fan connected to my PSU.

Darth Rancid 09-24-02 11:06 AM

The fans on my Voodoo5 dinosaur has been nothing but trouble...

They were the worst kind of little cheap rubbish... after a year the ball bearings were worn out, and the fans made a horrible SkHGGGRRR noise... both of them. So I replaced them with Blue Orbs... but for some unfathomable reason, the mounting holes on the V5 differ from all other cards, and therefore from the Blue Orbs as well... so I had to glue them on.
Can you imagine what kind of noise two Blue Orbs does? The wind noise from them was unbearable. So I removed the fans from the Orbs and ran them passive.
The V5 was stable with passive Blue Orbs and all was well until a few days ago, when the Orb on the primary VSA-100 fell off while I was reading news here at nVnews!... the glue had given up...

Now waiting for a delivery of some thermal adhesive and a set of larger, all-copper heatsinks to use on it...

Right now I'm using the horrid little intergrated i82815 on my Mainboard...

You may wonder why I still hang on to this overlarge jurassic videocard... the only reason is that my Mainboard flat-put refuses to work with anything that takes its power from the AGP port... so it is PCI, V5 or Radeon9700 for me :)

Switch 09-24-02 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spectral
Its because a lot of the fans they put on videocards are cheap toys. Ive had the same problem... Now, when I buy new cards I normally bolt on a cpu fan where the old fan was... Still havent actually ever taken off any of the heatsinks on videocards.
That is a definite fact. You'd think they'd get the brains to realize that cheap fans are only going to cost them in the long run. :rolleyes:

Visiontek is sending me another fan. They were very fast in replying. Any bets on how many months this one's gonna last? If it does go bad I may just say shove it and get that blue or chrome orb... it'll actually cost me unlike these but I'll get better cooling and (hopefully) no failing rate.

Oh, and Corp. I am going to check the voltages before I take the old fan off. Should be interesting to see if that is causing the problems.

Gasman 09-24-02 02:51 PM

Darth Rancid

I modded my V5 with Zalmans chipset coolers. They come with adjustable mounting pins, so they can fit the V5 holes perfectly. Which means you can use goop instead of adhesive.

Below is a link to a pic of my V5 with the Zalman sinks fitted, its a bit too big (650K) to post here. ;)

http://www.btinternet.com/~m.guppy/V5sinks.jpg

Sorry for being a little OT :)

Darth Rancid 09-24-02 03:58 PM

Thats nice!...

But my stuff is allready on its way here, so I'll go with the thermal adhesive.. might not be as good as "goop".. but surely better than the superglue I used before... and the V5 was stable with that.. so I should be ok.

You still use that V5?...