nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   New DOOM III screenshots! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=212)

malachi1313 07-30-02 08:40 PM

New DOOM III Screenshots @ www.ve3d.com

For the truly lazy here is the linkage:http://www.tothegame.com/screenshot.asp?screens=10224 Well worth your while. Checkout the detail!!!!!

Floor 07-30-02 08:57 PM

I seriously hope that the shadows get toned down a bit. So far, every screenshot and movie I've viewed has shown them as untransparent, solid black shadows. Yuck

volt 07-30-02 08:57 PM

Now that's looking pretty realistic.
Was the second picture taken without AA on ? Or Are they both without it.

netviper13 07-30-02 09:06 PM

They both look like AA was used, but good lord they look realistic. Look at how life-like the reflections off the guy's goggles in the first shot are.

PCarr78 07-30-02 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Floor
I seriously hope that the shadows get toned down a bit. So far, every screenshot and movie I've viewed has shown them as untransparent, solid black shadows. Yuck
Just like the e3 10 minute gameplay video.

It must have been run on a 6mb 3dfx Voodoo Graphics card. There couldn't have been more than 4MB of textures in there. Even less with compression.

EVERYTHING was BLACK except for the skins on the monsters and the occasional floor/panel texture.

THE REST WAS PITCH BLACK!

WooHoo! Doom 3 on Pentium100/12MB voodoo2, here we come!

And we'll have 6mb of available texture memory to spare!

PCarr78 07-30-02 09:26 PM

Anyone notice the following:

Relatively low-poly models... Make for some chinky heads/helmets/accessories. This is made more pronounced by the shadows.

LOW RES TEXTURES! Lack of detail textures! Look at the pic with the cave wall! I would have liked to see UT-style s3tc-like superhighrez textures when you get REALLY close to a surface.

Low poly environments. Gone are the curvylicious days of Quake3. Were'e back to octagonal pipes and individually visible planes on curved surfaces! (see the curvy wall in the pic with the scientist.

NO COLORED LIGHTING AT ALL!

Everything is a stupid, lame WHITE light. No nice, scary ambient greens/blues.

No pixelshader effects or special maps on surfaces. See newer DeusEx2 screns to see what I mean!

The monitor doesnt 'glow'. It's little touches like this that make games all the more immersive!

Too much influence exerted by the Rolling stones! "I see a red door and I want it painted black. No colors anymore the textures must be BLACK...."

UGH!

Unreal2 engine LOOKS MORE IMPRSSIVE! I can't believe I just said that!

Ive always hated Unreal engine tech with a passion! But DeusEx2 looks more graphicallyimpressive than Doom3!

That's a good thing. Gameplay on deusEx WILL BE FANTASTIC. Uncle Warren Spector made the damn game. Doom 3 is an unknown.

Knowing ID, it's probably 100% Run-and-gun with the typical stupid, "run towards player" AI.

This was fine in quake1, since THAT GAME COST ME $20 (best 20 bucks i ever spent!) and the main appeal was quakeworld multiplayer.

ARG! Doom3 will suck! The more I see of it, the more I know it will be true!

Now please go to Doom3: Who cares? v1.5

|JuiceZ| 07-30-02 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]

Just like the e3 10 minute gameplay video.

It must have been run on a 6mb 3dfx Voodoo Graphics card. There couldn't have been more than 4MB of textures in there. Even less with compression.

EVERYTHING was BLACK except for the skins on the monsters and the occasional floor/panel texture.

THE REST WAS PITCH BLACK!

WooHoo! Doom 3 on Pentium100/12MB voodoo2, here we come!

And we'll have 6mb of available texture memory to spare!

rioght....

Anyways I continue to be amazed by the mighty Carmack :cool:

PCarr78 07-30-02 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JuiceZ

rioght....

Anyways I continue to be amazed by the mighty Carmack :cool:

Dude, Im not kidding.

It was sad.

netviper13 07-30-02 10:29 PM

My position continues to be that I am not amazed by the game itself, but rather the new era of gaming the engine will make possible.

StealthHawk 07-30-02 11:13 PM

looks like there is colored lighting on the shot with the zombies, where they have an orange glow on them :rolleyes:

i still think it is foolish to judge the game on from such(i think) early screenshots. or from a low quality cam video. but you're right, the poly counts, and more importantly texture quality in those newest shots are most unimpressive. the shadows could also be softer. i have faith that Carmack will make tweaks at the end though.

nin_fragile14 07-31-02 12:27 AM

Dan, you came to the conclusion that everything looks black viewing a low res pixelated video.

Doom 3s tech is better looking than anything that's ever been seen in games. If you can't see that (watch the bathroom scene in that e3 video again, there is no way someone could think that looks bad), I don't know if you are looking at the same game the rest of the world is.

The animation, lighting quality, and character detail is better than anything ever seen in realtime. I don't why you're so anti Doom 3 (maybe you think the gameplay will suck?), but when the game comes out, there will be nothing better graphically. It's a shame that you're so pessimistic about this engine, which is probably the best thing that has happened to computer graphics since 3d acceleration.

SavagePaladin 07-31-02 06:31 AM

I suspect if the Unreal games were released post DX9 they'd have some fancy graphics effects too.

As to the shadows, yeah I noticed that, but I doubt they've got everything working perfectly this early in the game anyway