nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   had a question about hardware raid cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=217461)

wheeljack12 03-28-14 05:13 PM

had a question about hardware raid cards

I am looking to buy the adaptec 6805e sata/sas 3 card at the end of the month. Mainly because it's the only pci-e 2.0 4x sata/sas 3 card I can find that is hardware raid. I was wondering if anyone knew if there is any other hardware (not hardware assisted) raid cards that are pci-e 2.0 4x for sata/sas 3? The reason I say 4x is my motherboard has one pci-e 16x 2.0 slot running at 4x left on the board and I would like to have the max pci-e bandwidth possible. From what I remember, pci-e 4x is 2gb each direction as pci-e 1x is 500mb each direction. That's why I don't want the 6405e since it's pci-e 2.0 1x. I don't know how a 1x card with 4 ports can achieve more than 500mb/sec? Anyhow, any help would be appreciated. Eventually, I want to raid 0 4 samsung 840 pro 256gb drives as a main storage drive (OS and apps).

wheeljack12 04-02-14 10:45 AM

Re: had a question about hardware raid cards

I ended up getting the 6805e at $316 w/shipping and taxes. Just waiting for Purolator to come by and deliver.

wheeljack12 04-17-14 01:19 AM

Re: had a question about hardware raid cards

ended up throwing the darn card out after 8 straight days (about 15 windows 8.1 installs) of trying to get the maxview storage manager/card software to work. I really didn't care about the storage software since I use raid 0 but I wanted to keep track of my temps since this card runs hot (average 50c). Maxview doesn't like MEI's full install for a MEI based mb. It does like the MEI driver by itself though. When the full MEI is installed, it says "CIM server not found". Take out the MEI suite , all is fine. Then after tweaking and reg/disk cleaning, maxview then says "maxview web server not found". The web server happened on the 15th try. I just got pissed, broke the card in half and chucked it out. What I intend to do post haste is buy the card again but before get a rosewill thor v2 case since I couldn't fit a 40mm fan onto my card at the time in my current case (antec gx700). Adding the fan makes it a 1 1/2 to 2 slot card at the bottom pci-e slot of the mb (won't fit). I should have bought the case 1st but I wasn't sure if the card with the fan would fit. Like I said,I didn't care about maxview except with the fact I wanted to monitor temps. Yes, I could have kept the card and waited for the case. But how frustrated would you be if you installed windows 15 times over a 8 day period with no pc to use! I would rather destroy a $300 card over my whole pc, wouldn't you? And any of you who wouldn't have a fit of rage or either super human or smokers!