nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   NVIDIA - please take note (control panel gripes) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2177)

gordon 09-24-02 04:00 PM

NVIDIA !!! Please take note.

OK. Deep breath.

I have had 3dfx cards since 3dfx cards first came out, and despite the odd wobble the drivers have always improved with each release and have had good functionality. This is the standard by which I judge drivers from other companies.

One of my PCs has a Ti4600. Nice card, no complaints there. Excellent drivers too, improve with every release (the 40.52s crash Medievel Total War and Shogun but I am sure that will be fixed in the next release).

My beef is the FUNCTIONALITY of the aforementioned said drivers. Nvidia is a big grown-up company now and it's time it trusted it's customers with a little functionality in the drivers.

Example: I want to turn vsync off in D3D. Can I? No. Not unless I use a third party utility or reg hack like in Coolbits. WHY NOT NVIDIA? Reward your customers with this small offering PLEASE.

Worse Example: My desktop brightness is fine, but D3D and OpenGl games are so dark I can hardly see what is happening on the screen. Solution? Turn up the brightness? No, if I do that the desktop is blindingly bright. I have to use a third party utility, powerstrip, to adjust the brightness in D3D and OpenGl otherwise the card is useless. 3DFX, God rest their souls, provided seperate brightness/gamma sliders for desktop, D3D and OpenGl in their driver utilities. Do Nvidia? No! Why not? Is it too much to ask?

Come on Nvidia, you can do this. Don't make us use third party utilities just to be able to use the card.

Matthyahuw 09-24-02 10:51 PM

Re: NVIDIA !!! Please take note.

Quote:

Originally posted by gordon
Example: I want to turn vsync off in D3D. Can I? No. Not unless I use a third party utility or reg hack like in Coolbits. WHY NOT NVIDIA? Reward your customers with this small offering PLEASE.
HUH:confused:
http://matthyahuw.com/Images/v-sync.jpg
Quote:

Worse Example: My desktop brightness is fine, but D3D and OpenGl games are so dark I can hardly see what is happening on the screen. Solution? Turn up the brightness? No, if I do that the desktop is blindingly bright. I have to use a third party utility, powerstrip, to adjust the brightness in D3D and OpenGl otherwise the card is useless. 3DFX, God rest their souls, provided seperate brightness/gamma sliders for desktop, D3D and OpenGl in their driver utilities. Do Nvidia? No! Why not? Is it too much to ask?

Come on Nvidia, you can do this. Don't make us use third party utilities just to be able to use the card.
And as for this, I dunno...but I heard a lot of ppl have this issue a couple years ago...but it seemed to be fixed ages ago, you might want to check in-game gamma settings...and if you haven't reformatted before installing the GF card in, and you had another brand of card in the same puter, that messes up gamma settings too...

thcdru2k 09-24-02 10:54 PM

i can't seem to get the vsync to show with the new drivers, but yes it has been there for old drivers.

about the brightness and stuff...??? i never heard of such a thing.

nvidia drivers are top notch, tell me one card that has better.

LORD-eX-Bu 09-25-02 01:50 AM

S3 virge! jk. :D

Nutty 09-25-02 03:40 AM

I have the same problem.

Working on a pc all day, I have my desktop pretty dark, I have to bump the brightness and contrast everytime I play a game. This is on every card I've ever used.

gordon 09-28-02 03:21 AM

I have a Ti4600.

The in-game gamma and brightness settings are set to highest and it is still too dark when switching to OpenGl and D3D games.
The situation improved somewhat but nowhere near enough in a recent driver release - I don't know which ones.
If the brightness is turned up on the monitor then the desktop is blidingly bright when switching back.

A third party utility like powerstrip is essential just to be able to play games on the top of the line nvidia product. Shameful.

The piccie of the vsync option in D3D is nice - I have that too. But only after installing coolbits!

I was holding out for an NV30 to replace my 3 remaining Voodoo 5 cards, but I am getting so ticked off by this I am about ready to jump ship and try the new 9700.

EvilEngine 09-28-02 03:35 AM

Why are you guys complaining about color and gamma for? The settings are in the drivers:
http://evilengine.apokalyptik.com/compare/color.jpg

PCarr78 09-28-02 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by thcdru2k
i can't seem to get the vsync to show with the new drivers, but yes it has been there for old drivers.

about the brightness and stuff...??? i never heard of such a thing.

nvidia drivers are top notch, tell me one card that has better.

Matrox

gordon 09-28-02 08:07 AM

"Why are you guys complaining about color and gamma for? The settings are in the drivers"

Wow Evilengine2, I have that colour control applet too !!!

But it sets global colour, not gamma/brightness seperately for D3D, OpenGl and desktop.

Thanks for trying to help, but please read and understand the thread. The users are complaining that one overall gamma setting is not good enough, settings for desktop are too dark for OpenGl and D3D. Increasing gamma for D3D and OpenGl results in a desktop that is too bright.

nvidia drivers are top notch, tell me one card that has better - thcdru2k

No-one is complaining about the drivers. They want extra functionality ie seperate gamma settings for OpenGl, D3D and desktop. 3DFX (God rest their souls) had seperate colour controls, so it can be done, if Nvidia can be bothered.

False Christian 10-06-02 09:09 PM

Yes, I agree that 3dfx made the best drivers ever. I, too, think nVidia's got give a nice looking control panel like ATI's done with their Catalyst suite.

koneill 10-07-02 12:37 AM

i have to wonder how sensitive my eyes are to brightness, because ever since i've been into hardware, and therefore graphics cards, i've heard people complain about games being "way too dark" with in-game gamma "all the way up."

somehow, i don't see it. i tweak the gamma for some games i play, but to say that they're still "way too dark" after ramping the in-game gamma "all the way up," well... that's a bit silly.

ramping up the gamma even 50% makes everything super bright and washed out looking with no contrast and pasty colors - kind of like what 3dfx's graphics looked like back in the Voodoo/2 days. =)

weird... maybe people need to buy better monitors.

Chalnoth 10-07-02 10:17 AM

Yeah, I haven't had any in-game brightness problems for a couple of years...not since I was playing on a TNT 16MB and tried to load up GLQuake...