nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Are you listening NVIDIA? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2187)

Wigren 09-24-02 10:44 PM

Are you listening NVIDIA?

Are the NVIDIA developers reading this forum? If you are, please answer my few simple questions...

1. Why can't you add support for TV-out overscan and/or picture positioning in your drivers? It can't be hard for you, with all the specs and all in hand, when 3rd-party hackers can do it by reverse engineering.. (although 2 years after a chip is released) Why?

2. Are you denying the "black borders" on TV-out? People ask about it again and again and again, and have since day one, but there still isn't an entry in the FAQ?

3. Do I really have to switch to Matrox or ATI to get a decent picture on my TV? Your cards DO have as good TV-out, but the driver totally lack support for all kinds of fine-tuning... I don't want to switch because you still have the best 3D...

Best regards
Per Wigren

Wigren 09-26-02 11:51 AM

Does this mean "We don't read this board" or "We don't care about users' problems" ?

Wigren 09-29-02 07:20 AM

I guess it's "we don't care"..

kappax 10-12-02 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Wigren
Does this mean "We don't read this board" or "We don't care about users' problems" ?

I would say your problem is somewhere beteewn your left ear and your right ear.

and you got toe be CRAZY to go to ATI!!

Wigren 10-12-02 12:38 PM

Why? That depends on what my needs are, don't it?

Now, I DO have TWO GeForce cards! One GeForce4 MX460 which I bough by mistake.. A BIG mistake, since the TV-out is so crippled it's laughable... The hardware is there, but there are no specs, and the support in the drivers (even on windows) is so bad I don't even want to talk about it... The only reason I upgraded from my older GeForce2 AGP was for the TV-out...

I DID find an old GeForce2 PCI with TV-out on Ebay though, so now I can actually get a decent picture with overscan and without the annoying black borders, using nvtv!

I still think it's BAD BAD BAD of NVidia to cripple their cards!

doom 10-12-02 05:01 PM

Are you even using linux?

Wigren 10-12-02 05:05 PM

Yes, I've been running Linux exclusively since 1996. What about you?

thcdru2k 10-12-02 06:15 PM

dude..nvidia doesn't read these forums. does this look like nvidia.com? it has nothing to do with nvidia crippling their cards. nvidia only makes the videocard gfx chip. your card's manufactuers decides everything else including tv output chip.

nicster 12-17-02 09:33 AM

re: nvidia only makes the videocard gfx chip

Nvidia also makes reference drivers, of which the windows versions (so I'm told) include overscan controls. There is no reason why they can't include XF86Config configuration switches (or even a standalone piece of software) for altering the overscan.

I agree with Wigren - the only plausable explanation is that they either don't want to provide these controls or they don't care enough to bother.

nuks 12-17-02 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by thcdru2k
dude..nvidia doesn't read these forums. does this look like nvidia.com? it has nothing to do with nvidia crippling their cards. nvidia only makes the videocard gfx chip. your card's manufactuers decides everything else including tv output chip.
I'm not right with "nvidia doesn't read these forums"
I came here to get support because I've seen your link in nvidia last drivers readme, in section "Contact us"
here is a copy-paste from the readme :
Quote:

__________________________________________________ ________________________

(sec-05) CONTACTING US
__________________________________________________ ________________________

There is an NVIDIA Linux Driver web forum. You can access it by going
to www.nvnews.net and following the "Forum" and "Linux Discussion Area"
links. This is the preferable tool for seeking help; users can post
questions, answer other users' questions, and search the archives of
previous postings.
you can find the file here : http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-4191/README

nicster 12-18-02 03:21 AM

good point nuks..

So to Nvidia... why no overscan control with the linux drivers? You care enough to write the drivers in the first place, so why not provide all the functionality that users need?

Andy Mecham 12-18-02 12:19 PM

Yes, we read these forums.

This is a feature we're working on. Letting us know what features you want in the driver helps us set priorities.

--andy