nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Glx, Tls, 4499, Amd64 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22068)

msc 12-09-03 01:06 PM

Glx, Tls, 4499, Amd64

My system: Dual Opteron, Redhat 2.9ELsmp, GeForce FX5600, 4499 driver.
Like several others here, if I try to load glx, X dies. I get a signal 11. I've attached my XF86Config, as well as the two log files (with and without glx).

I've also tried using the SuSE fix on the NVIDIA download page. Same result.

One difference between what I am doing and at least one other person here who has been successful, is that my /lib/libc.so.6 supports TLS (Thread-Local Storage), and theirs did not. According to the README from nvidia, there should be additional tls libraries installed in /usr/lib/tls.

However, there are no tls libraries included in the nvidia 4499 tarballs, even though the Makefile for the glx libraries refers to them.

TLS may have nothing to do with the problem, but, like the installer, it is something that the README says is included, but isn't.

Can anyone who has this working check to see if their libc.so.6 supports TLS. To do so, simply enter /lib/libc.so.6 and see if it says "Thread-local storage support included."

Thanks for any help.

msc 12-09-03 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
XF86 Config file

msc 12-09-03 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
log file with signal 11

msc 12-09-03 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
log file when glx is not loaded

SnapIT 12-09-03 02:24 PM

could you post your dmesg?

As i see it the problem is related to the kernel module rather than X..

msc 12-09-03 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My dmesg....

Phorem 12-09-03 04:17 PM

Before when i couldn't get my agp to work (check my thread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=22036) i had to use NvAGP "1" and that would allow me to boot into X using just PCI and not agp. I noticed in your XF86Config you were using "2". Using "1" might let you get into the X server where it'll be a little easier to work on your agp issue.

Here is my output from /lib/libc.so.6.........

switch@darkstar:~$ /lib/libc.so.6
GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.2, by Roland McGrath et al.
Copyright (C) 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 3.2.3.
Compiled on a Linux 2.4.20 system on 2003-05-18.
Available extensions:
GNU libio by Per Bothner
crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
linuxthreads-0.10 by Xavier Leroy
BIND-8.2.3-T5B
libthread_db work sponsored by Alpha Processor Inc
NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
Report bugs using the `glibcbug' script to <bugs@gnu.org>.
switch@darkstar:~$

My system works fine in 32bit or 64 (in pci and agp now on 2.4.23) without the support you mentioned. I am also using beta 4620 drivers as well.

otan 12-09-03 11:51 PM

What Hardware do you use ?
otan

msc 12-10-03 08:10 AM

Phorem,

I'm not sure it is an AGP issue. If I try setting NvAGP to anything other than 0 or 2, X locks up my machine and even using ssh to come in from another machine to kill X doesn't get me back. I have to reboot. This happen regardless of whether I try to load glx or not.

Otan,
What other hardware info do you need? My motherboard is a Tyan K8W.

SnapIT 12-10-03 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by msc
Phorem,

I'm not sure it is an AGP issue. If I try setting NvAGP to anything other than 0 or 2, X locks up my machine and even using ssh to come in from another machine to kill X doesn't get me back. I have to reboot. This happen regardless of whether I try to load glx or not.

Otan,
What other hardware info do you need? My motherboard is a Tyan K8W.

The problem is that the chipset does not report the settings correctly and the Nvidia driver is very anal about correct settings...

In other words, your chipset is not supported...

If i were you i would use the minion patch and the 2.6 kernel, or manually install everything...

Another solution would be to manually install it, the driver most probably will work, it just doesn't know that it will...

It would be interesting to know the results if you decide to try installing it manually, if you do, please e-mail me at snap.it@telia.com

otan 12-10-03 03:25 PM

I have the same problem as you have with the same hardware. In my case
my System is running fine until you install the nvidia drivers.
One problem i have: It is crashing when the nvidia drivers
print the bios of my GraphicsCard a PNY FX1000 . It crashes with
a signal 11.
I have some information for the reason, but no solution, yet.
I am checking if the info is true, before i release it.
You will hear more soon...
p.s> One is able to solve a problem, if one knows what causes it.
Maybe it is Hardware or it is Software related.

otan

Phorem 12-10-03 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, i don't know if the K8T800 is supported, but i know it WORKS fine if you use kernel 2.4.23 and configure the agp like mine - config attached.
I'm not going to type all of this stuff again, but like i said above, goto this link in these threads http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...hreadid=22036.

This worked for me. I have agp enabled, and i am using the AMD64 Athlon 3200 with the Asus K8V Deluxe which uses the same chipset as everyone else in this thread (well at least Otan). Again, i'm using the 4620 beta drivers that i got from a link posted on this forum and i installed them just like any other of Nvidia's *.run files.

All i am saying, is that it worked for me and i'm going to do my best to get it to work for everyone else out there that has the same chipset and wants to use their computer and not wonder (like me for a couple of weeks) if they wasted their hard earned coin.:angel: