nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Redhat 7.3 questions (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=221)

Nathan 07-31-02 12:16 AM

RH 7.3 question

I just finished installing RH 7.3. I'm pretty new to linux so I'm asking for some help :)

1.) How do I remove items on the Grub boot loader? I updated the kernel and I want to remove the old item.

2.) Is it possible to change the default selection in Grub? If so, how?

3.) Does anyone know if the SB Audigy sound card works under linux? I get an error when I try to open the mixer and there is no sound.

4.) If I don't plan on playing any games (I only use linux for programming), is it worth to install the latest nvidia video drivers? I'm asking that cos I don't have a clue how to install em and would rather not.

Thanks!!

Matthyahuw 07-31-02 01:10 AM

Mandrake 8.2 runs Audigy right out of install, RH doesn't...

norpan 07-31-02 03:13 AM

1. How do I remove items on the Grub boot lornel and I want to remove the old item.

Removing a kernel with rpm -e should automatically remove the Grub entry. If you just want to remove the entry, you can edit /etc/grub.conf

2.) Is it possible to change the default selection in Grub? If so, how?

Sure, just add the line

default x

to /etc/grub.conf where x is the number of the entry you want to be the default, starting at 0.

3.) Does anyone know if the SB Audigy sound card works under linux? I get an error when I try to open the mixer and there is no sound.

Don't know. Have you tried to run the sound configuration tool, /usr/sbin/sndconfig?

4.) If I don't plan on playing any games (I only use linux for programming), is it worth to install the latest nvidia video drivers? I'm asking that cos I don't have a clue how to install em and would rather not.

You only need the drivers if you want hardware acceleration for OpenGL or if you want to use XV for instance in video players.

Nathan 07-31-02 04:23 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I actually decided to take the risk and install the NVIDIA video drivers. After much work, I finally have them working! :D

Now I have another 2 questions:
1. ) The print server in RH 7.1+ is different from the previous versions. I'm not sure how to add my Samsung ML-1210 laser printer (USB). So far I tried adding it in the CUPS Printer Configuration. It worked and I even managed to print a test page. However, how do I print anywhere else? (ie: in Mozilla or in an emacs terminal?) What is the proper print command? I tried the lp command but it doesn't seem to work.

2.) I want to install SB Audigy drivers from sourceforge.net. It states in the instructions that I need the source code to my kernel available. I checked under /usr/src/redhat, but all the directories are empty. I'm wondering where I could obtain the source code? (I don't want to recompile)

Thanks again!!