nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   3123 drivers cause system hang (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2215)

kgf 09-25-02 05:44 PM

3123 drivers cause system hang

Hi Folks:

Just upgraded to the 3123 drivers. Previously I had a very nice and stable system, but the 3123 drivers are causing a solid system hang.

Everything installs fine (from tgz files, on Debian Woody). When I fire up the UT2003 demo, the game will play for maybe 3 minutes and then things will lock solid. Prior to the lock there are some flashing textures here and there.

TuxKart did the same thing...played it for a bit and then everything hung up solidly. :( Everything was working great with the previous drivers.

Also, I upgraded from 2.4.18 to 2.4.19 when I switched my drivers...are there any known problems with 2.4.19 that might cause this?

bwkaz 09-25-02 07:53 PM

If you go back to the 2960 drivers under 2.4.19, does that help?

Generally, changing two things at once isn't great if something goes wrong... so if you switch one of them back (my guess is that the nVidia driver would be easier to switch back), you'll get a better idea of which component is causing it, the driver or your new kernel.

I'm running 2.4.19-preempt, with 3123, no problems. KT333 chipset, MSI GF4 4200, Athlon XP 1800. So at least one person (me ;) ) can run it just fine...

kgf 09-25-02 08:06 PM

Dead (dying?) Fan

I think I discovered the problem...much to my shock, when I rebooted into Windoze and tried UT2K3, the exact same thing happened....so I cracked the case and lo, the stupid fan on the card isn't spinning very fast...I think it's about to die (the blasted card is only 1 month old or so).

This is likely the problem. It's not a Linux thing, it's my GF4 card overheating...and of course, it's a VisionTek! Which means since they went out of business, no support. :(

Thanks for the advice anyways!

nightingale2k1 09-26-02 06:15 AM

me too

I have just installed newest one (3123) for my Riva Tnt2 M64 Graphic Force. When I play Open GL game like tux racer, sometimes I hang on and cannot exit from the game .... what's up ?
is the driver buggy ? :(

is there any solution for this problem ?

thanks

Lethal Weapon 09-28-02 07:26 AM

i think you should all write to

linux-bugs@nvidia.com

to let them know many ppl have this freeze-problems

i do have them to, and already wrote them. They didn't answer me.

nightingale2k1 09-28-02 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lethal Weapon
i think you should all write to

linux-bugs@nvidia.com

to let them know many ppl have this freeze-problems

i do have them to, and already wrote them. They didn't answer me.

me too... I have already write to them for at least 2 week ago. but, until now, they haven't reply my mail.

better wait for their next release... :)