nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   wich kernel ?? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22330)

filippdavid 12-16-03 08:07 AM

wich kernel ??
 
After i installed Fedora-Core 1, i found that both normal kernel and SMP-kernel are installed.
I wonder wich one should i choose: both are booting well and show no problems...

my box is:

Intel p4 2.6 Ghz fsb 800 Mhz
RAM 1GB
[...]

TheOneKEA 12-16-03 11:06 AM

The SMP kernel - it includes a Hyper-Threading-aware scheduler that will improve performance if you decide to use Hyper-Threading. If not, then you should use the UP kernel.

filippdavid 12-16-03 11:40 AM

i'd like to use HT , but HOW??
i mean: i have just to enable HT in the MB BIOS or there's something more to do ??

Boldwyn 12-16-03 12:52 PM

SMP kernel supports multiple processors so you don't need it. I'm not sure bout HT but most likely normal kernel should support it too (maybe not the stock kernel supplied with the distribution - compiled 'by hand' kernel is always the best choice anyway)

TheOneKEA 12-16-03 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by filippdavid
i'd like to use HT , but HOW??
i mean: i have just to enable HT in the MB BIOS or there's something more to do ??

Hyper-Threading is indeed enabled in the BIOS. Check your BIOS manual for more information.

Boldywn, if he wants to get optimal performance with Hyper-Threading active he needs to use the SMP kernel; otherwise the performance will be poor. As for compiling his own kernel, he really shouldn't do that unless the newest kernel (2.4.23) does HT better than the vendor kernel he's using.

filippdavid 12-16-03 01:08 PM

many thanks guys:)

could you tell me how big is the gap between HT and not-HT, and maybe the most evident circumstances ??

Boldwyn 12-16-03 01:22 PM

TheOneKEA: you're right about SMP kernel and HT, like I said - I wasn't sure. However I don't agree with your kernel opinion. Distribution-supplied kernels are compiled for a broad range of configurations and have no CPU-specific optimization. If you compile the kernel yourself, you can tweak it to your hardware, compile it for the specific architecture and reduce its size - which results in faster work.

filippdavid 12-16-03 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Boldwyn
TheOneKEA: you're right about SMP kernel and HT, like I said - I wasn't sure. However I don't agree with your kernel opinion. Distribution-supplied kernels are compiled for a broad range of configurations and have no CPU-specific optimization. If you compile the kernel yourself, you can tweak it to your hardware, compile it for the specific architecture and reduce its size - which results in faster work.
ok , but don't expect me to know how to do it....

once i tried to install gentoo , after many battles i could compile the kernel and boot it , but i got so many errors ...

Boldwyn 12-16-03 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by filippdavid
ok , but don't expect me to know how to do it....

once i tried to install gentoo , after many battles i could compile the kernel and boot it , but i got so many errors ...

Most likely you didn't compile some necessary drivers... My first kernel compile ended in lots of errors and kernel panic too :) Anyway, custom kernel is a nice thing to have, but you can live without it. There are lots of kernel-compile-howtos and it's always worth to learn something new :)

TheOneKEA 12-16-03 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Boldwyn
TheOneKEA: you're right about SMP kernel and HT, like I said - I wasn't sure. However I don't agree with your kernel opinion. Distribution-supplied kernels are compiled for a broad range of configurations and have no CPU-specific optimization. If you compile the kernel yourself, you can tweak it to your hardware, compile it for the specific architecture and reduce its size - which results in faster work.
Certainly. I understand that too; using a vendor kernel in lieu of a custom kernel tailored to your system is a poor choice, unless you are unable or unwilling to compile said custom kernel.

SuLinUX 12-17-03 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Boldwyn
TheOneKEA: you're right about SMP kernel and HT, like I said - I wasn't sure. However I don't agree with your kernel opinion. Distribution-supplied kernels are compiled for a broad range of configurations and have no CPU-specific optimization. If you compile the kernel yourself, you can tweak it to your hardware, compile it for the specific architecture and reduce its size - which results in faster work.
Thats not true for SuSE which installs a Athlon/Intel optimized kernel, I have k_Athlon kernel as it picks up your CPU architecture when you install suse.

TheOneKEA 12-17-03 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SuLinUX
Thats not true for SuSE which installs a Athlon/Intel optimized kernel, I have k_Athlon kernel as it picks up your CPU architecture when you install suse.
Indeed. I had not realized that SuSE did that. My experience revolves around Red Hat.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.