nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Geforce FX 5700 in linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22375)

magankie 12-17-03 11:50 AM

Geforce FX 5700 in linux

I have the new geforce fx 5700, and when I go to install linux, all go nice, but the X don't go ok... I think that the graphic card are unsupported for the most recent drivers. Can you helpme?

O.S.: SUSE 9.0
G.C.: Gefroce FX 5700
System: P4-2800MHz, 512 MB DDR RAM, 120 GB HDD:confused:

SuLinUX 12-17-03 12:19 PM

The 4620's are much better and work in Suse 9.0, have a look HERE

Anthaus 12-17-03 12:36 PM

'nuff said
5700's seem to work only with the beta 46.20s

LordMorgul 12-17-03 06:19 PM

Re: Geforce FX 5700 in linux

Quote:

Originally posted by magankie
I have the new geforce fx 5700, and when I go to install linux, all go nice, but the X don't go ok... I think that the graphic card are unsupported for the most recent drivers. Can you helpme?
If you are having problems DURING the installation, you should use the text mode installation feature. When the installtion program asks if it can test the X configuration say NO, and the choose the hardware (monitor, video card) that you know you have, BUT instead of choosing GeForce FX, you should choose a GeForce 2 or 3 generic. This should work much better (this will not effect the performance or end configuration at all.. its a temporary work around for installation). When you've got a working installation, you can proceed with the nVidia drivers for hardware accelleration as these guys have posted.

(choosing the generic gets the 'nv' driver assigned rather than 'vesa' because the FX card isn't, apparently, supported by nv so vesa is chosen instead. I've seen this with redhat, mandrake, suse, and debian so far.. all latest releases on X 4.2 or 4.3, however nv does work and vesa does not. case of wrong driver being chosen after probing)

SuLinUX 12-17-03 06:33 PM

Re: Re: Geforce FX 5700 in linux

Quote:

Originally posted by LordMorgul
If you are having problems DURING the installation, you should use the text mode installation feature. When the installtion program asks if it can test the X configuration say NO, and the choose the hardware (monitor, video card) that you know you have, BUT instead of choosing GeForce FX, you should choose a GeForce 2 or 3 generic. This should work much better (this will not effect the performance or end configuration at all.. its a temporary work around for installation). When you've got a working installation, you can proceed with the nVidia drivers for hardware accelleration as these guys have posted.

(choosing the generic gets the 'nv' driver assigned rather than 'vesa' because the FX card isn't, apparently, supported by nv so vesa is chosen instead. I've seen this with redhat, mandrake, suse, and debian so far.. all latest releases on X 4.2 or 4.3, however nv does work and vesa does not. case of wrong driver being chosen after probing)

The FX cards do use the nv driver in Suse 9 and the nearest FX card in the list will be fine. You should say yes to the test because it may well fail causing the Xserver to not start on login.

LordMorgul 12-17-03 07:25 PM

Provided the 'vesa' driver is not chosen the test and probing should be fine as you say, I've just noted that in several cases suse and others have ended up with vesa rather than nv. Choosing a specific card should not effect configuration in any other way than driver choice (but not capabilities), and names in the config which are superficial. In any case, if the X test or configuration fails, this is likely the cause.