nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   FX 5600... big problems (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22526)

Lord_Spector 12-20-03 05:06 PM

FX 5600... big problems

Hi...

I really am getting desperate here... I posted this on several forums and no one has a clue :(
I'm getting poor performance with this card... glxgears comes up with 4400 FPS but UT 2003 demo gives me only 20-30 average FPS on everything on LOW... so that's not normal... in Enemy Territory my FPS jumps from 20-90(everything on high 1024x768 resolution)... altho it doesn't quite run bad, I'm guessing that I should have at least an average of 50-60...
and beside all this, my computer freezes with certain applications sometimes... If I run Unreal Tournament
it freezes quite often during the loading (not the actual game, just when it loads maps and so on) and I always have to do a hard reboot.. It also stalls when loading a page in mozilla sometimes... my mouse still moves(but clicking with keys does nothing) and I can still hear sound if I have xmms enabled.. but I have to do a hard reboot anyway... the controls don't respond and so on...

ok so here are my specifications:
I'm running gentoo linux with 2.4.23 kernel, athlon thunderbird on 1066 Mhz(originally 900), an abit kt7a motherboard, inno geforce FX 5600 turbo 128 ddr 8x AGP dvi/tvout
I'm using Nvidia 1.0.4349 (yes I have tried 4469 and 4363 but I get 400 more FPS in glxgears with this one) I use nvidia's agp drivers, forcing 4x apg and using fast writing

If I forgot some vital info that you need please let me know... I hope someone here knows what could be the problem...

10x for all your help...

Gator 12-20-03 05:44 PM

An Athlon Thunderbird 900 oced to 1066mhz and your wondering why your FPS is so low in UT2k3? To answer your question, no you should not expect 50 - 60fps with those specs. Your computer is too slow. Furthermore I'm assuming this is an FX5600 non-ultra ? That's the equivalent of a GF3TI in performance so don't expect the world.

Sorry man, but your asking too much of your system. Get yourself a Barton if your motherboard can take it, or at least get the maximum AthlonXP it can handle.

gstanford 12-20-03 05:46 PM

This belongs in the Linux forum.

Is your card seated correctly in the AGP slot?

What brand and rating is your power supply?

What brand and model is the 5600?

Gator 12-20-03 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gstanford
What brand and model is the 5600?
inno geforce FX 5600 turbo 128 ddr 8x AGP dvi/tvout

Lord_Spector 12-20-03 05:53 PM

yes I know my cpu is slow but still... I think it should at least be a little bit better :)
as for my fx 5600.. yes it is ultra.. the turbo(ultra) version has got a downgraded gpu and ram I think.. everything else is the same.. but I intend to fix this as soon as possible with a little overclocking...

What about my system freezing... any clue ?

Lord_Spector 12-20-03 05:56 PM

.. and yes it's seated in correctly, and I got a 250 W power supply.. which I know is low but I also tried with 300 and it made little difference.. so I guess it really is the CPU... but my main concern here is my computer freezing

Gator 12-20-03 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lord_Spector
yes I know my cpu is slow but still... I think it should at least be a little bit better :)
as for my fx 5600.. yes it is ultra.. the turbo(ultra) version has got a downgraded gpu and ram I think.. everything else is the same.. but I intend to fix this as soon as possible with a little overclocking...

What about my system freezing... any clue ?

no clue on your freezing, although I'm anxious to blame yoru VIA chipset but I know I'll get attacked for that by VIA fanboys :rolleyes:. Other possibilities include hardware conflicts or maybe a bad memory module. Also what kind of memory are you using and what speed?

As for UT2k3, no I assure you those results are to be expected with that CPU. And I'm glad to hear you have a FX5600 Ultra, that's a good thing, but with that CPU you're not doing it any justice. Trust me, if you want better performance then you need to upgrade the CPU. If you wanna stop the freezing, I would either blame the motherboard or faulty memory. Try one stick at a time and see if it stops freezing.

Lord_Spector 12-20-03 06:04 PM

I got 512 mb of sdram
I guess I will try hardware solutions but wouldn't that than cause my system to freeze at every game that uses a bit more of my system ? No other game besides UT crashes my system.... and mozilla but everything else works fine...

(and I know what's coming now... "sdram no wonder.... :)"
I need an upgrade yes I know but I've been spending a lot of $$ now since it's the holiday season and everything so that upgrade will have to wait for a little while... besides.. I'm not really that much of a gamer... I just bought this so I'd get a little better performance and to extend my capabilities for future games maybe ported to linux...

gstanford 12-20-03 06:05 PM

It's probably power related which is why I asked what power supply. The KT133 & KT133A could both suffer from board makers cheaping out of power regulation circuitry to the AGP port. The fact the graphics card is an Ultra probably is not helping.

Gator 12-20-03 06:12 PM

Quote:

I got 512 mb of sdram...I know what's coming now... "sdram no wonder.... :)"...
yep, that's gonna hurt your performance too, UT2k3 likes DDR, as do most games now

Quote:

Originally posted by gstanford
It's probably power related which is why I asked what power supply. The KT133 & KT133A could both suffer from board makers cheaping out of power regulation circuitry to the AGP port. The fact the graphics card is an Ultra probably is not helping.
An excellent point! It might be the PSU! :eek:

Lord_Spector 12-20-03 06:16 PM

hm.. so I guess a 400 W PSU is what I need... and a 2200 athlon CPU and some 512 DDR ram woulden't hurt... hm, looks like someone will have to be left behind on my xmas list this year :D

Gator 12-20-03 06:18 PM

Quote:

hm.. so I guess a 400 W PSU is what I need... and a 2200 athlon CPU and some 512 DDR ram woulden't hurt... hm, looks like someone will have to be left behind on my xmas list this year :D
Well, you still haven't answered a question: what brand and size PSU do you have?

And if you do wanna buy a new PSU, please note that a quality is more important that quantity. Buy Enermax or Antec brand.