nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   X fails to start and freezes display (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22768)

jmahler 12-26-03 11:33 PM

X fails to start and freezes display

Geforce 4 Ti 4200
2.4.23 kernel

after typing startx... the display goes black like normal then when normally X would be displayed, all sorts of characters are frozen on the screen (some in color). This locks the entire computer (if ssh an kill -9 x's PID, control resumes).

the drivers install like normal. they modprobe correctly.

I've tried several versions of the driver, several versions of X, and several versions of kernel. even completly reinstalled once.

I've tried agpgart and nvagp.

at the moment i am using vesa driver, because i need a computer. however, without the nvidia drivers, i am lacking several features i need.

i can post whatever information you want.

James

jmahler 12-27-03 05:27 PM

thankz for the help... oh wait

I found the solution to fixing all nvidia problems.... switch to an ATI card. sure i've seen ppl go off on here about goto a card that is supported less... blah blah blah. all the support i've seen for this card is "ummm.... i dunno... did you modprobe nvidia". Like that's any help.

my company may only sell a few hundred machines a year, but i assure you they will ALL have ATI cards now instead of nvidia.

SuLinUX 12-27-03 06:28 PM

Re: thankz for the help... oh wait

Quote:

Originally posted by jmahler
I found the solution to fixing all nvidia problems.... switch to an ATI card. sure i've seen ppl go off on here about goto a card that is supported less... blah blah blah. all the support i've seen for this card is "ummm.... i dunno... did you modprobe nvidia". Like that's any help.

my company may only sell a few hundred machines a year, but i assure you they will ALL have ATI cards now instead of nvidia.

Oh really, then good luck with your ATI cards and make sure you take a couple of packs of headache tablets.

What distro are you running?

celicagt4 12-28-03 10:47 AM

Re: X fails to start and freezes display

Quote:

Geforce 4 Ti 4200
2.4.23 kernel

after typing startx... the display goes black like normal then when normally X would be displayed, all sorts of characters are frozen on the screen (some in color). This locks the entire computer (if ssh an kill -9 x's PID, control resumes).

the drivers install like normal. they modprobe correctly.

I've tried several versions of the driver, several versions of X, and several versions of kernel. even completly reinstalled once.

I've tried agpgart and nvagp.

at the moment i am using vesa driver, because i need a computer. however, without the nvidia drivers, i am lacking several features i need.

i can post whatever information you want.

James

I had the same problem than you...

Be sure than your nvidia driver is loaded before. "lsmod"

add this to your XFConfig-4 file : Option "NvAgp" "0"

Section "Device"
Identifier "ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE4 MX AGPX8"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "NvAgp" "0"
EndSection

should work like charm ;-)

jmahler 12-30-03 12:38 AM

nope.... i tried NvAGP = 0

and yes it's in lsmod

wana know all that i've tried?

distros:
debain sid (original)
slackware 9.0
debian sid (new install)

kernels:
2.4.23 (2.4.22 has issues with my IDE controller)

driver versions:
4??? (all of them)
5???

agp options:
off
agpgart
nvagp

color depths:

XFree versions:

basically take a permutation of all those and that's what i tried over a few days, without any luck.

i can't believe someone would say lsmod after my comments, but thanks for the attempt. atleast u tried unlike everyone else.

jmahler 12-30-03 12:49 AM

Re: Re: thankz for the help... oh wait

Quote:

Originally posted by SuLinUX
Oh really, then good luck with your ATI cards and make sure you take a couple of packs of headache tablets.

What distro are you running?

oh really? how can it be a bigger headache than this?

want my hardware list?
PIII 1.1ghz X 2 / gigabyte 6vtxd / my old TNT2 card until i order one that works / 2 gig Kingston RAM / ST320430A harddrive / WD400BB-00CAA1 harddrive X 2 / IBM-DTLA-307030 harddrive X 2 / LG DVD burner 4x / TV capture card / sound / intel pro 1000 nic / debian sid / 2.4.23 kernel

anymore questions about my setup?

on a side note... the LG GSA-4040B dvd burner works amazingly well in linux with dvd+rw-tools for those that are wondering, I personally have had bad experience with dvdrecord (competitor of dvd+rw-tools). burns a full DVD in about 13 minutes (4x).

celicagt4 12-30-03 06:35 AM

Quote:

nope.... i tried NvAGP = 0

and yes it's in lsmod

wana know all that i've tried?

distros:
debain sid (original)
slackware 9.0
debian sid (new install)

kernels:
2.4.23 (2.4.22 has issues with my IDE controller)

driver versions:
4??? (all of them)
5???

agp options:
off
agpgart
nvagp

color depths:

XFree versions:

basically take a permutation of all those and that's what i tried over a few days, without any luck.

i can't believe someone would say lsmod after my comments, but thanks for the attempt. atleast u tried unlike everyone else.

yes I have read that you have done a modprobe, but you know some people are beginner (I am too), and sometime, they do the modprobe or insmod, and it's not working for another reason, so they reboot and they forgot to insert the module again. and it's not working... sorry...

now than I know more about you, and I'm sure that the driver is loaded :) all I can say is that is your card is working (test it under windows, because I had a ti200 geforce 3 that was working really well in 2D mode and crashing in 3D mode)....

update your motherboard bios

what is the chipset of your motherboard ? is it recognised ? -> lspci -v

you have tried 2 debian but SID...why not using a stable version ?
I personaly run under woody debian with a geforce4mx 440 and a KT400 chipset from VIA and you can believe me it was hard for me to get it working...

so don't panic, we will find a solution.
take a paper, write all you are doing and I'm sure that if you're card is supported by the driver it will work.

don't hesitate to post what you do, maybe someone will have an idea. reply to the questions....

good luck :)

--- Zest --- 12-31-03 03:37 AM

I also had major trouble installing the nVidia drivers for my Ti4200. You might want to my question I posted here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=22815

and also try the alternbative driver suggested there. You can find it here:

http://www.sh.nu/download/nvidia/linux-2.4/

That solved my crashing problem, so it might solve yours too...

good luck!