nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Glide Wrapper (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22982)

zivilian 01-01-04 07:39 PM

Glide Wrapper

Anyone know a good glide wrapper that works with tribes 1 i tryed a few but most dotn work or are very bad

The Baron 01-01-04 08:22 PM

can't you just use OpenGL?

zivilian 01-01-04 08:40 PM

yea but im jsut seeing what the diffrence is some people say glide works better i duno

The Baron 01-01-04 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zivilian
yea but im jsut seeing what the diffrence is some people say glide works better i duno
Tribes fanboys. They're completely full of ****--a friend of mine wanted me to build him a computer--a 2Ghz P4 with a gig of RAM, RAID, and a Voodoo3 for Tribes. I refused.

|JuiceZ| 01-01-04 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Baron
Tribes fanboys. They're completely full of ****--a friend of mine wanted me to build him a computer--a 2Ghz P4 with a gig of RAM, RAID, and a Voodoo3 for Tribes. I refused.
:rofl sad, sad.....

zivilian 01-01-04 09:27 PM

lol well im not obsessed with it i just herd it runs better but i havnt been able to run glide to find out

The Baron 01-01-04 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zivilian
lol well im not obsessed with it i just herd it runs better but i havnt been able to run glide to find out
back when Tribes FIRST came out, there was only Glide support. and then they added GL support in a patch. and GL support was improved to the point where it didn't make a difference. but the Tribes community (that I have complained about bitterly on many occasions) is made up of almost as many idiots as the CS community, and a lot of them still swear by Glide.

Edge 01-01-04 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Baron
LOL! God, that's a good one. He could've at LEAST asked for a Voodoo 5! Or better yet, build him a 400 mhz computer with a Voodoo 3, and then bill him for a 2 ghz computer. He won't know the difference ;)

Oh, and there are a few games that have better effects with Glide (or simply don't support D3D/OGL), but I'm not sure if Tribes is one of them. If you play Carmageddon 2 or Diablo 2 (well, before patches anyway), then the Glide wrapper might help, but for Tribes I don't think it's worth it.

zivilian 01-01-04 10:35 PM

ahh ok ty

StealthHawk 01-02-04 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Edge
Oh, and there are a few games that have better effects with Glide (or simply don't support D3D/OGL), but I'm not sure if Tribes is one of them. If you play Carmageddon 2 or Diablo 2 (well, before patches anyway), then the Glide wrapper might help, but for Tribes I don't think it's worth it.
I don't think there are any Glide wrappers that support the version of Glide used by Diablo2. At least, I couldn't find any when I looked back in the day.

I thought the rendering engine was junk(it probably is), but Diablo2 is really just a memory hog.

Edge 01-02-04 03:10 AM

Oh, I wasn't sure if there were any that supported Diablo 2, I just kinda assumed given how glidecentric that game was back in the day (no colored lights, spell transparencies, and many other graphic effects in D3D).

And yeah, the Diablo 2 engine was pretty inefficient. I think it's Glide mode is ok, but even then it seems to use a hell of a lot more ram then it needs to. Even Warcraft 3 uses less memory and overall just runs smoother, I think.

Moled 01-02-04 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Edge
LOL! God, that's a good one. He could've at LEAST asked for a Voodoo 5! Or better yet, build him a 400 mhz computer with a Voodoo 3, and then bill him for a 2 ghz computer. He won't know the difference ;)

pffft
with glide you get the rain on raindance, which you didn't get with opengl

why would you need any reason other than that?