nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do you think Doom III will perform on a GeForce4? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=230)

demonized 07-31-02 07:19 AM

How do you think Doom III will perf on a gf4 ?

its on the front page...
do you guys think we can play the game on high detail settings.(people with geforce 4's)
John Carmack seems to want us all buy an NV30 or R300.
Also is it possible that this game will be released in dvd-format..
or atleast have a dvd-version of the game. I want cinematics :):)

sancheuz 07-31-02 07:34 AM

I think only people with a geforce4 TI and beyond will be able to play this game at high settings. Because of their 128 mb memory. Geforce3 Ti 500- medium high, geforce3 and ti 200 medium. Radeon 8500 medium, parphelia medium, anything else, low settting(however, low settings for this game will probably still be stunning)

Kruno 07-31-02 09:01 AM

Actually G3 can play highest settings possible (1024x768?) at 30fps. :)

elusive 07-31-02 10:54 AM

how do you know?

do you have the game installed or something?

/....

that's what carmack was shooting for

we all know it'll be more demanding than that.

JonathanM 07-31-02 11:03 AM

Aye, they are quite cool. You know gamers will probably upgrade to whatever system is needed to properly power this game once it comes out anyways, so there's no need to bicker about whether it'll run 30fps on a GF3 or not (although Carmack said that was among his goals). That statement is still open to CPU speed and other conditions...

Floor 07-31-02 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by elusive
how do you know?

do you have the game installed or something?

/....

that's what carmack was shooting for

we all know it'll be more demanding than that.

How do you know?

Do you have the game installed or something?

/....

That's what Carmack is shooting for, and he knows that engine more than you do.

This is afterall, a DX8 game, and one that has been in developement for a good chunk of time. The GF3 class of cards aren't completely washed out either, they can run MW at respectable framerates, and that's with large outdoor areas.

Doom3 appears to be enclosed in rooms/halls like the previous, so framerates naturally rise...

koslov 07-31-02 03:13 PM

DooM3 is not DirectX based. Why do people keep referring to DX when discussing D3?? OpenGL is where it's at boys and girls. Carmack knows that.

In my experience, OpenGL games are less prone to crashing and a lot faster framerate-wise. If you doubt me, just fire up Serious Sam:SE and bench in both OpenGL and DirectX. I think you'll find that OpenGl is anywhere from 5-15% faster.

I just don't get all the hype around DX9... OpenGL can do all the same effects and faster.

Look at all the poor-running games based of DX:
Giants
Morrowind
GTA 3

DX is just easier for lazy devs since they don't have to support each GPUs specific extensions.

StealthHawk 07-31-02 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
Actually G3 can play highest settings possible (1024x768?) at 30fps. :)
deep down i'm still doubting that, but hoping that it's true :)

means i'll be able to play the game while i scrounge for money to do a system rehaul

SavagePaladin 07-31-02 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by koslov
DooM3 is not DirectX based. Why do people keep referring to DX when discussing D3?? OpenGL is where it's at boys and girls. Carmack knows that.

In my experience, OpenGL games are less prone to crashing and a lot faster framerate-wise. If you doubt me, just fire up Serious Sam:SE and bench in both OpenGL and DirectX. I think you'll find that OpenGl is anywhere from 5-15% faster.

I just don't get all the hype around DX9... OpenGL can do all the same effects and faster.

Look at all the poor-running games based of DX:
Giants
Morrowind
GTA 3

DX is just easier for lazy devs since they don't have to support each GPUs specific extensions.

When will you people give it a rest?

Serious Sam supporting two renderers doesn't mean it supports them both perfectly. Sheesh.

Look at all the great running games based on DX: Max Payne, No One Lives Forever, C&C Renegade, Hostile Waters, and many many more.

Then you can kindly shut yer holes.

elusive 07-31-02 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SavagePaladin

Serious Sam supporting two renderers doesn't mean it supports them both perfectly. Sheesh.

Look at all the great running games based on DX: Max Payne, No One Lives Forever, C&C Renegade, Hostile Waters, and many many more.

Then you can kindly shut yer holes.

stfu before MS puts licsensing fees on OpenGL

god, that day _will_ come, i know it :(

koslov 08-01-02 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SavagePaladin

The games you named are not in my experience the fastest games. Both MP and NOLF can chug on lesser GPUs. Haven't played the others.

Want other games with dual renderers? Try UT, Halflife.

The only DX engine that has impressed me recently is the newest Unreal engine (America's Army).

There is no way you can tell me that DX is inherently more stable than OpenGL... you may remember just a few weeks ago MS released a patch for DX that finally fixed random crashes that plagued many DX games. Not to mention the patch required to run GTA3.

Stability and flexibility are only two of the advantages to OpenGL. Multi-platform support being probably the greatest; OpenGL is supported in almost every OS out there.

Back to the original topic, I am sure D3 will run on almost every setup out there, from GF1 and up. Carmack's games have always been made to be very backwards compatible. But to get the full effect of shadows and bumpmapping, a GF3 or R200 is minimum. I bet 64meg cards will really be stressed too, just look at all those high-res textures, plus all their accompanying bumpmaps. I don't really know why Carmack says D3 will achieve its peak on the NV30 since he doesn't have one yet... all he has to go on are the same specs we have. Sometimes I think Carmack likes to be a PR bitch for the graphics mfgs.

SavagePaladin 08-01-02 02:30 AM

I said NOTHING against OpenGL.
I am not one to pick sides when there's no point.

Most of those games chugged because they pushed what the common denominator could do when they were released.

So they were a little ahead of their time, I'm pretty sure that isn't a sin.

BTW, I never experienced any of these dx8.1 crashes because I don't own Windows XP. Yes, XP isn't quite up to speed in reality, I know this, but it doesn't reflect on directx directly.