nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trouble rebuilding the NVIDIA_kernel..SRPM (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2304)

treinar 09-28-02 07:20 AM

Trouble rebuilding the NVIDIA_kernel..SRPM

1 Attachment(s)
I have downloaded the kernel SRPM and GLX RPM. When trying rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel...SRPM, I receive this error (excerpt - whole error message attached (result.txt)):

/usr/include/linux/version.h:3:2: #error "You should not include /usr/include/{linux,asm}/ header"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:4:2: #error "files directly for the compilation of kernel modules."
/usr/include/linux/version.h:5:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:6:2: #error "glibc now uses kernel header files from a well-defined"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:7:2: #error "working kernel version (as recommended by Linus Torvalds)"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:8:2: #error "These files are glibc internal and may not match the"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:9:2: #error "currently running kernel. They should only be"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:10:2: #error "included via other system header files - user space"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:11:2: #error "programs should not directly include <linux/*.h> or"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:12:2: #error "<asm/*.h> as well."
/usr/include/linux/version.h:13:2:

..then follows an explanation of what I should do with the makefile (see attached file result.txt).

I am not an expert on this. What is wrong? What should I do? Is there only to wait for the prebuild RPM from NVIDIA?

treinar 09-28-02 07:21 AM

...I forgot: this is regarding the NVIDIA GeForce2Go, on a freshly installed Mandrake Linux 9.0.

bwkaz 09-28-02 07:53 AM

There seem to be a lot of people getting this error.

Do you have kernel-source installed? rpm -qa | grep kernel should have it listed.

treinar 09-28-02 08:20 AM

...rpm -qa | grep kernel gave this output

kernel-2.4.19.16mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-headers-2.4.18-41mdk

...does that mean that the source is installed?

Locklear93 09-28-02 10:30 AM

I believe it does. And add me to the list of people suffering from this error. :/

mtrr 09-28-02 10:49 AM

install the kernel-source as suggested. you have the
headers, and the kernel-image, but no sources...

do a "ls -lad /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build" what do you see?

cheers

Locklear93 09-28-02 11:04 AM

Well, if that's not the whole problem, it's a big honkin' chunk of it. When I did as you asked, I got information that build was a symbolic link, and pointed to "../../../usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk" Sensing something was amiss (the symlink had a red background--broken) I went to /usr/src/ and found only an RPM directory, no linux anything.

This really irritates the crap out of me, as I specifically selected development when installing Mandrake 9, and got 500 MB worth of files. I've always had kernel sources installed before when installing Mandrake, and don't know why, with 9, I wouldn't. Well, I'm off to try and install those sources... thanks very much, and I'll come back and whine some more if this doesn't help. :rolleyes:

mtrr 09-28-02 12:05 PM

devel environment doesn't necessarily mean kernel sources to be included.
if you're curious about the kernel version mandrake (and probably RH) took to
build glibc do "/lib/libc.so.6".

they also changed some content of those includes, therefore the error messages during compile.

cheers

Locklear93 09-28-02 12:52 PM

Well, after looking all over both CD-ROMs, I haven't been able to locate the source for the kernel... which could explain why it wasn't installed. RPMfind.net appears to be down, so I can't find the kernel source package there, and Mandrake's website doesn't seem to be helpful either. I could get the 2.4.19 source code elsewhere, but it wouldn't be the mdk version, and I don't really want to be using sources from a different version of the kernel for compiling--and I'm DEFINITELY not comfortable building and replacing my kernel myself to make it match...

So, anyone have an idea of where I can find the source for 2.4.19-16mdk?

treinar 09-28-02 04:58 PM

The kernel-source rpm is found on the 3rd download ISO. if you do urpmi -ivh kernel-source..blabla.rpm, then you see that libncurses-develop-something.rpm is needed too. You find it on CD #2. After the kernel-source was installed, the NVIDIA-kernel-rpm built just fine. So it works great!

Thanks a lot for your help!:D

Locklear93 09-28-02 07:59 PM

I second that. Installing the kernel sources solved all of the problems, thanks all for your help. What I wanna know is why, on an operating system where a LOT of software is compiled by the end user, they'd not make the source install by default. :p

Thanks again!

mtrr 09-28-02 09:37 PM

easy answer: the "end user" is not meant to build/compile software
that tinkers with the hardware, way toooo complicated :)

seems to be the way distributors think (nb: kernel sources are not
default on RH, SuSE, Debian...)

cheers