nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Redhat 9 installation Problems (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23105)

drknow 01-04-04 10:04 PM

Redhat 9 installation Problems

I am having some issues installing Redhat 9 on my computer. It goes fine untill it tries to load the install GUI, at which time the screen goes blank. My graphics card is a GeForce FX 5200, and I am sure it is the problem. Is there a way around this problem, and if so, what is it?
Thanks,
Thad Blankenship
big_thad@hotmail.com

JK_Aslan 01-05-04 02:38 AM

Excatly

Hey,
im having the exact same problem with mine ..... i have redaht 9 and the same nVidia fx 5200 card it was working before i tried to reinstall redhat. When i installed it a blank screen came and my monitor shut off. i have to restart.
I tried to overcome this problem by installing redhat on a different computer and moving the hard drive back when i finished but this didnt work either...
i am up for help too.... this really needs to be fixed but i cant exactly tell you much more for two reasons .... 1. i am a newbie 2. i cant access anything.

Thanks , any help would be appreciated

Silent Bob 01-05-04 04:54 AM

Hi there,

The problems you are having are down to the VESA drivers with Redhat 9.0 and some Nvidia cards, do a text install and then put the nvidia driver on 4496 works(Not tried the new one yet), make sure you edit XF86Config as required and things shpuld be fine.

Cheers
SB

JK_Aslan 01-05-04 06:37 AM

thanx SB ill have to try that tomorrow.... ill post if anything else happens

drknow 01-05-04 03:42 PM

Ok, I see how that should work, but i have no idea of how to do it in redhat 9. I dont even know how to boot into text mode with linux. I installed redhat with the text mode, but the screen still goes blank whenever it goes to the login screen. I will try to figure this out on my own, but any help would be great.

drknow 01-05-04 04:41 PM

Ok, I got into text mode by putting the installation cd in drive E and typing linux rescue(this is the best way isnt it?). I put the driver CD i made in drive D(all it has is the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-blahblahblah.run file). The question I have is how do i access this file. I tried doing cd D:/, and then i did the sh <filename>.run and it said that no such directory or something like that. I know that this is a newbie question, but if I can get linux running in graphical mode I can figure it all out. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

JK_Aslan 01-06-04 11:15 PM

Well you need to mount your cdrom to access it... type 'mount /dev/cdrom' this should do the trick to access it type 'cd /mnt/cdrom'
i had the same problem with the blank screen ... i used Alt+Ctrl+Backspace a couple of times to turn the screen back on ... or reinstall linux and instead of typing 'linux text' you type 'linux askmethod text' . and tell it to use text login instead of graphic. (i think thats how you do it.

i know how to do this but if there is anyone here to tell me how to use the .run file i got. it would be great.

thanks