nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Nforce2 + SuSE 9.0 no network support (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23113)

calcartman 01-05-04 12:59 AM

Nforce2 + SuSE 9.0 no network support

I know this is a common problem, but i havent been able to find a fix in searches.
Keep in mind i am very new, this is my first linux experience and i installed it all of 5 hours ago.

I installed SuSE 9.0, no audio or network support.
Downloaded the Nvidia drivers for SuSE 9.0, put on a cd, installed em. Rebooted (habit from windows, dont know if its neccesary on linux).
Start up and audio works, nothing network related does.
I went to YaST and went to go look at the network devices, and looked down the list for a driver by Nvidia and there was none.

Am i missing something? I know my way around a computer (this is running on my 4th hand built one) and I know my way around windows very very well; but this has me stumped.

Do i need some other driver? I would prefer not to go buy a PCI network card an i'll just get rid of linux if thats going to be the case.

Any help or suggestions would be great :)

Specs:
ABIT NF7-S
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ @ 2.1ghz (oc'd slightly)
1024 MB Patriot PC-3200
Maxtor 160 GB
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro All In Wonder
Memorex DVD-ROM
Fujitsu 52x CD-RW
Dual Boot:
Windows XP SP1
SuSE 9.0

SuLinUX 01-05-04 06:26 AM

Have a look HERE , rpm's are easy to install, download rpm's in Konqueror for now which makes things easier for you.

dnoyeB 01-05-04 09:50 AM

type 'lsmod'

thats "List Modules" command

it should list the installed modules. Look for a module called 'nvnet' if its not there then your network is not being loaded. check in /etc/modules.conf to see if the module is in that file to be loaded.

perhaps you need to setup your network, installing the drivers is typically just the first part. somewhere you should find a network configuration. Though I have only redhat experience and speak only of redhat, it may help

calcartman 01-05-04 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SuLinUX
Have a look HERE , rpm's are easy to install, download rpm's in Konqueror for now which makes things easier for you.
I installed the RPM using YaST before all this; as i said.

I have configured networks on windows before; the thing is when i go to the network configuration thing it tells me to pick a device; and in the list is what looks to be drivers for specific devices. IE: intel network cards, netgear cards, etc.... and nothing for nvidia.
I will do the lsmod thing in a little while.

If i have the wrong idea here please tell me.

dnoyeB 01-05-04 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by calcartman
I installed the RPM using YaST before all this; as i said.

I have configured networks on windows before; the thing is when i go to the network configuration thing it tells me to pick a device; and in the list is what looks to be drivers for specific devices. IE: intel network cards, netgear cards, etc.... and nothing for nvidia.
I will do the lsmod thing in a little while.

If i have the wrong idea here please tell me.

you can also try

netstat -ia

and

ifconfig is the linux equivalent of ipconfig

MAD_COMMANDER 01-16-04 06:29 PM

I have mandrake9.2 and hve the same problem with my NForce2 lan connection so quite simpley disabled support for this hardware and installed a Intel pro100x lan card which mandrake had the drivers for and started my ICS connection and VPN to my server and all works so great now :)
But im still battling with my GF4 drivers :(

Linux and easy to use? bah windows easyer by far but linux is so quick programs aint to stable but OS is. So im happy :P

dnoyeB 01-17-04 12:08 AM

well i should add that the latest drivers v261 suck totally for networking and I had to graft the nvnet from 256 into them to get them to work on Redhat. but they did install, just was slow networking.

if suse has kudzu, run that after you install drivers.

serialdave 01-17-04 08:18 PM

I run Mandrake not Suse but I found that using the source rpm and having the source for the kernel installed and compiling the nvidia source rpm I have had no trouble with audio or netowrk on my Mandrake 9.2 install.

I have even gottenQquake 3 Americas Army and a few other games to run great.