nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Solution for the Problem with 1.0-5328-pkg1.run (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23805)

Timothy_Shawn 01-20-04 10:37 AM

Solution for the Problem with 1.0-5328-pkg1.run

The driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run seems to be joke or something like that. Only Software rendering and so.....

I installed an older driver and i have no Problems now.
The driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run supports FX Cards and works with the actual Kernel.

Uninstall the new **** and get the old good stuff.

Use this Link to Download the older Version of the driver.

Download Link for 1.0-4496-pkg2

delt 01-22-04 04:55 PM

I just tried to revert to 4496 drivers and it doen't solve the problem, same ****.

LordMorgul 01-22-04 05:15 PM

heh, a link

The 53.28 driver operates well for me and many others. It is neither a joke or software support only. If you've been unsuccessful in using the driver, it would be beneficial to all if you supply something useful, rather than 'it doesn't work'. You could start out with what you've done to make it work, and what hardware you're installing on. Otherwise, your time in posting here is wasted... that link is in plain sight from the driver archive on the nVidia driver download page.

repilce 01-22-04 05:26 PM

this is true.. as an assupmtion like that is bad.. but i must say as many accounts i have seen with the same issues with the new drivers.. it does raise my eyebrow that there very well could be a bug in the release somewhere that's only affecting ceritain perameters.

James Gregory 01-23-04 12:23 PM

Thanks repilce, maybe trying an older driver is an obvious solution to some, but I hadn't thought of it - I just sat there working through the readme FAQs for the latest driver to no avail.

To surmise in case it helps anyone:

- updating the driver and changing "nv" to "nvidia" in the config file prevented the X Window system from starting

- the FAQ said that the installer should create some files in the "dev" directory, it didn't. It also said that older copies of the libraries could make it go wrong, and that you should rename them XXXwhatever, I tried that but it still didn't successfully put any files in the dev directory.

- changing the config file back to "nv" got the X Window system working again, but at the expense of rubbish performance again

- downloading an older version of the driver made it work all fine and dandy

I am using Mandrake 9.2 (kernel version 2.4) with a GeForce 4.

jedah 01-23-04 04:00 PM

53.28 Drivers are buggy and hard to install but they finally work if you are patient.They work fine wiht my MSI GeForce FX 5700 Ultra TD 128 on SUSE 9.0....:) Few days ago I was complaining but now everything ok....

delt 01-26-04 04:38 PM

ok this is weird, i've had some hardware issues on this pile of junk and i had to temporarily setup my windowz machine (pIII 700MHz, via VT82??? chipset) as my main box, and with the same video card (geforce3 TI) the 5328 driver seems to work perfectly on the pIII hardware.

weird.................

oh - i had AGP disabled on my P4 and even then everything f§¶£Ęked up.

AhBeeDoi 01-29-04 05:27 PM

I'm using Mandrake 9.2 using kernel version 2.4.22-26mdk with an ASUS A7N8X mobo, AMD XP 1900+ CPU, 512mb DDR PC2700 RAM, MSI GeForce FX 5200 AGP card. X windows will not start with the 5328 drivers, so I have to go back to 4496 drivers.

Are there other settings in the config file that I should be aware of other than changing "nv" to "nvidia", which is the only change I've ever needed for all prior versions?

I'm not real eager to try the recently released 5336 until I see more comments.

LordMorgul 01-30-04 02:15 AM

NvAGP another option

The default AGP choice is to use agpgart and then try nvagp. For my machine nvagp works much better, especially running now on the 2.6 kernel. I suggest trying the nvagp support first, which requires a driver option added into the Device section of XF86Config (where you change "nv" to "nvidia").

Option "NvAGP" "1"

Anthaus 01-30-04 10:45 AM

Some people recommend uninstalling the old drivers first.

sh NVIDIA-INSTALLER.whatever.pkg2 --uninstall

SuLinUX 01-30-04 10:58 AM

Actually to uninstall the driver it's nvidia-installer --uninstall in the usr/bin directory.

Installing the nvidia driver is easy,

Ctrl, Alt F3, login as root and type init 3, login root, run the installer, run sax2 -m 0=nvidia, setup display, startx.

Thats what you call easy, but non SuSE user will do that abit different.