nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   nv30 problem rumor (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2398)

bob747b 09-30-02 06:33 PM

nv30 problem rumor

I heard a rumor second hand that there has been a problem while trying to go from tapeout to first silicon with the nv30. What I heard is that there is currently a delay that could last from 2 weeks to 5 months depending on the severity of the problem. 2 weeks is basically TSMC has an easy to fix problem in their .13 process. 5 months is there is a flaw in the .13 process or a flaw in the nv30 design that would require a full workaround. This would force nvidia to go though the entire tapeout process again.

My thoughts on this is that this corresponds to another rumor that TSMC has told it's major customers recently not to tapeout any chips based on the .13 process since they are currently diagnosing an issue with it.

Also I think the stock option deal nvidia offered their employees a week ago could be seen as a way of trying to keep it's employees happy even if the much hyped nv30 is having problems. Though I'm pretty sure if they were acting on info they had about the nv30 that hasn't been released to stockholders this would be considered illegal since they are basically trading stock (or options in this case) with inside information (ie insider trading). But I definenlty don't know all the laws on this so I'm just adding this part on as food for thought if the first rumor turns out to be true.

I sure hope none of this is true because some competition for ATI at the high end would be a good thing.

PreservedSwine 09-30-02 07:25 PM

C'mon, you should know better than to post that w/out a source!!

Where is the LINK! :)

retsam 09-30-02 08:10 PM

oh gawd please please please delete this thread this is just crap. lets see the proof please. i can sit here and say hay i have right now an nv40 in my hand and an r400 in the other. and man im getting 6000 fps in q III and 2000 fps in doom 3 :rolleyes:

rets

Lezmaka 09-30-02 09:10 PM

Only thing I remember relating to this is tsmc had to change some of the design rules for the .13u, and this was sometime around the rumor started surfacing that nvidia was making design changes in response to the 9700.

Matthyahuw 09-30-02 11:26 PM

I also heard a rumor, nVidia's CEO went on a trip to the bahamas, and took an NV30 card with him, and he put it in the government's system, and it powered the whole town, and supplied them with enough electricity to last til 2006 FOR FREE!
WOW, can't beat that! :rolleyes:

thcdru2k 09-30-02 11:30 PM

WOW i can't wait till nv30 comes out, imagine that, for $300 bucks not only do you have a new spiffy videocard, you can generate energy for your whole block! how sweet!

Bigus Dickus 10-01-02 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by retsam
oh gawd please please please delete this thread this is just crap. lets see the proof please. i can sit here and say hay i have right now an nv40 in my hand and an r400 in the other. and man im getting 6000 fps in q III and 2000 fps in doom 3 :rolleyes:

rets

Perhaps you didn't notice the title of this forum? HARDWARE RUMOR MILL

So a rumor comes along in the rumor mill forum, and you want it deleted just because it is NV-negative? :rolleyes:

Kruno 10-01-02 12:30 AM

Nice rumor ;)
SON, you have just bought yourself $10,000,000 ;) :D

Quote:

Originally posted by Matthyahuw
I also heard a rumor, nVidia's CEO went on a trip to the bahamas, and took an NV30 card with him, and he put it in the government's system, and it powered the whole town, and supplied them with enough electricity to last til 2006 FOR FREE!
WOW, can't beat that! :rolleyes:

retsam 10-01-02 03:04 AM

i heard that the nv30 is even anble to cook you breakfast make your bed, wash your car,clean the windows, wash your kitchen floor, brush your teath for you!!!, do your taxes and satisfy your wife all without breaking a sweat !!! now that's a card i have to have!!!! but of course this is all just a rumor !!! :D

rets

Darth Rancid 10-01-02 03:17 AM

I've heard that NV30 won't be comming out at all, since world leaders fear that if it went into mass production, they would use their incredible powers and feature set to team up and replace mankind as the dominant spieces on the planet....

retsam 10-01-02 03:25 AM

wow thats the very same rumor i just heard. it came from my secret friend inside nvidia that swears this card and all there technolgy is from little green men from the planet kazotootot
1 billion light years away

retsam 10-01-02 03:36 AM

Quote:

wow thats the very same rumor i just heard. it came from my secret friend inside nvidia that swears this card and all there technolgy is from little green men from the planet kazotootot

oh wait my secret friend just told me that i had it wrong. kazotootot is were ati gets there technology. nvidia gets it from a secret government facility in area 51 :D