nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Detonator 40.71 frenzy (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2402)

A-KO 09-30-02 08:21 PM

Detonator 40.71 frenzy

OH BOY!

I've had so much FUN with tthese drivers *coughs* NOT.

Where should I begin?

I purchased a Geforce 4 last week, installed it, annd noted the drivers were not correctly detecting the video memory. I figured it could be motherboard-related, so I went ahead and flashed the video bios on the card. The card's bootup screen reports 128MB, it's fine.

Check 1 done.

Then I thought maybe a bug with the AGP mode, so I set to 2x. Yippee! It worked! Thought it was working great......I was wrong. Within a few reboots once again it detected only 64MB of the 128MB card.

Next on the list to try was a reformat, so I reformatted and reinstalled Windows. Reinstalled the 40.71s and it worked in AGP4x mode, just fine.

WRONG AGAIN!

After a bit, it's only detecting 64....so this time around I decided to install the Asus drivers....This time around, "This Device Cannot Start". I reinstalled Windows *again*.

This time II installed 30.82, and low annd behold, absolutely 0 PROLEMS! It detected everything correctly, ran great.

by this time Unwinder(creator of rivatuner) had responded to me on the issue and helped me see what the problem was.....so this time I reinstalled 40.71, and let it screw up the detection. Rivatuner still reports the NV_FP_CSTAT value as 08000000. This is the correct value, the det 40.xx only sees 04000000 from somwhere.

I then went to uninstall 40.71, once again got "This Device Cannot Start". Not for the default driiver, not for 30.82.....I just reinstalled 40.71 and it installed correctly and thankfully is working, but still with only 64MB detection.

In the end, 40.xx are BS drivers until Nvidia fixes this mess, I've had TONS of fun with them.

Conclusion:

40.xx are laced with problems. Gamma/Game probs in earlier versions. Control panel problems. Memory Detection problems(reported by another user but said 40.71 fixed it), and uninstallation problems. 30.82 worked fine, yes, FINE. No problems. No detection issues, nothing. They ran fine.

The Baron 09-30-02 08:54 PM

Quote:

40.xx are laced with problems.
Uhhh... duh? Some people have an insane amount, others have none--it's just like any piece of beta software.

A-KO 09-30-02 09:18 PM

Well then don't jump on ATI's case for crap ass drivers, because it's obvious Nvidia has probably matched ATI with this set.

saturnotaku 09-30-02 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by A-KO
Well then don't jump on ATI's case for crap ass drivers, because it's obvious Nvidia has probably matched ATI with this set.
But at least you were able to fall back to a perfectly functional set of drivers. You've not been hung out to dry. This is why I get on ATI's case because I was never able to find a set to fall back on in case I ran into problems future releases. Your card works fine on those drivers and when the next set comes out, you can try those. Me, I had problems with the 40.41 and 40.52 sets. 40.71's are working great for me so far. Such is the nature of leaked drivers.

A-KO 09-30-02 10:13 PM

Actually, I'm not...i haven't been able to fall back...upon the removal of 40.71, I cannot install anything else. I'm locked onto 40..71 until Nvidia can provide some fix or unless I reformat the system.

thcdru2k 09-30-02 10:18 PM

??? you can't fall back? try uninstall your drivers completely, either yourself or detonator destroyer. revert to the regular vga driver. than try reinstalling your detonators. if you follow that process there should be no reason the dets should be working. if they don't its probably not a detonator problem, but a xp problem, your system could be hosed, and what not.

skipparoo 09-30-02 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by saturnotaku

But at least you were able to fall back to a perfectly functional set of drivers. You've not been hung out to dry. This is why I get on ATI's case because I was never able to find a set to fall back on in case I ran into problems future releases. Your card works fine on those drivers and when the next set comes out, you can try those. Me, I had problems with the 40.41 and 40.52 sets. 40.71's are working great for me so far. Such is the nature of leaked drivers.

More importantly than being able to fall back on functional drivers; nVIDIA actually fixes the problems quickly and leaks the set to the public for testing. We all know these leaks are organized. Sometimes it may take a little while, but in the case with the 40.xx drivers, nVIDIA did a pretty good job eliminating the problems with UT2003 for example and releasing them. This is something you'll never see with ATi, unless there was a major flaw somewhere, but frequent driver releases from ATi are virtually non-existent.

-Skippy

thcdru2k 09-30-02 11:04 PM

or maybe they have some high security team watching their driver and developer making sure they don't leak drivers ! haha

saturnotaku 09-30-02 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by skipparoo
This is something you'll never see with ATi, unless there was a major flaw somewhere, but frequent driver releases from ATi are virtually non-existent.

-Skippy

Eight months ago I would have agreed with you. Fact it, ATI is releasing drivers just as often (sometimes moreso) as NVIDIA. ATI had an official driver release in August I believe and they just put out the 7.77 drivers within the last week and I think there was another release even between those. So they're on a release cycle of every 3-4 weeks and it's been fairly consistent. Now whether the drivers work properly or not is the big question, not whether they're releasing them or not.

thcdru2k 09-30-02 11:31 PM

oh well, its like that for everything, some people will have their problems with drivers, hardware, and than say the quality is crap, yet some people will have no problems with drivers, hardware, and claim their stuff is better than the rivals. it seems like an ongoing arguement here around these forums. why can't we all just agree to disagree.

The Baron 09-30-02 11:45 PM

Quote:

I'm going to introduce you to a new word.

Beta.

C'mon, say it with me.

Be-ta. "Mostly working, but still under test."

Meaning--they ain't real drivers, if you don't like em, then install old ones. If you can't, you have screwed up somewhere big time.

Simple as that. Saying "Oh, I can't install old drivers WAAAAAAH" is a cop out, because you apparently haven't even run the 30.82 installer... yeah, it REPLACES the drivers. Wow. Big concept.

Sheesh. At least nVidia still has the 30.whatever-they-are-nows up.

StealthHawk 10-01-02 05:18 AM

Quote:

there's a reason these drivers aren't official. no one forced you to try them out. personally i would never use "public beta" drivers. stick to official releases or leaks.