nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Geforce 2 on Mandrake 9.2 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24430)

Ben63 02-03-04 11:32 AM

Geforce 2 on Mandrake 9.2

Hi everybody !

I encounter some problems for installing my card ;
I've made a web page explaining my problem
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dsprod/Geforce2/en/
It's very important for me because I have to do 3D developments for applaying on some jobs.
Thanks for helping me

Best regards

Ben

Ben63 02-04-04 05:32 AM

Re: Geforce 2 on Mandrake 9.2

Don't anyone know how I can resolve it ?
If I can't make it work, I'll have to buy another card :(

sleeperawaken 02-04-04 11:30 AM

Same problem with a Geforce4 Ti4200

Hello,

I've got the same problem. I am running Mandrake 9.2 on my machine, used Nvidia driver 5328. Editted my config file the same, was rewarded with the Nvidia splash screen, but even my GL screen savers run like a slide show presentation. Same problem with Chromium (hope I spelled that right)....slide show again. I would expect better performance out of a Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB card....LOL... That is right, mine is a Geforce4 Ti4200, not a Geforce2. I would guess this means that whatever our problem is, is not card specific. It has something to do with the driver we are installing. Either the driver is faulty, or we are doing something wrong. If we are doing something wrong, I don't know what it is. Nvidia has a new version of the driver out now, it is a 5336 as I recall. I will try that tonight & see if my problems go away.

I was glad to see I am not the only one on earth with this problem, & that it is not specific to my card. I will try some other forums. If I find an answer, or if the new driver fixes the problem, I'll let you know.

Oh, do you have a VIA chipset on you motherboard? The new 5336 Nvidia driver said something about fixing a AGP failure problem for VIA chipsets. My board has a VIA chipset, maybe this is where the problem is.

Anyway, I will let you know if I find a fix. Please let me know if you have found, or find a fix too ?

JonR 02-05-04 11:28 AM

Hi, I've had problems trying to configure MDK9.2 to run with my GeForce2Go on my Tosh 3000-514. I get API mismatch between the NVIDIA kernel module (1.0.4496) and the driver (1.0.5336). I've given up since I couldn't find anyone with a fix.
Jon R :(

sleeperawaken 02-05-04 06:06 PM

Okay, here goes.

You've got a different problem than we do. What it looks like you got, is a driver conflict. At some point in time, the Nvidia driver 4496 was installed, & then the 5336 driver revision was installed, it would appear. These are two legitimate different driver installs from Nvidia, reference their "Archived Driver" section, on the side bar to the left, on the driver page.

My solution to my problem, was actually to install the 5336 driver from Nvidia, but when I attempted the install, it would not install because of the previous Nvidia kernel. If you read through that huge "README" file on the driver page at the Nvidia website, you will find that they have an "uninstaller" as well. Being that there is a 4496 driver installed, the uninstaller should be there (technically it is an installer, with multiple options, including to uninstall)

Before going any further, you need to edit your XF86CONFIG-4 in /etc/X11/ directory, so that it is using the "nv" driver instead of the "nvidia" driver. Then reboot.

You have to be in root mode to use the uninstaller, & the X-server can not be running. Make sure X-server /display manager is shutdown. Then, once again, go into su mode, then use this:

# nvidia-installer --uninstall

"to uninstall the current driver; this will remove any files that
were installed on the system."

After you have uninstalled the driver, if you are not in run-level 3:

#init 3

then

# sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

follow the directions as usual. Then:

# init 5

It will blink your screen, & might or might not bring you to the login screen (it didn't for me), don't panic if it brings you to a shell login, just login as a regular user (not root), & type:

$ startx

& you will find yourself at the login screen. Then you need to go edit your darn XF86CONFIG-4 file again, & change the "nv" to "nvidia", reboot, & viola :o)

This worked for me, but be careful, I am on a Desktop, not a laptop. Also make sure that the 5336 driver supports your GeforceGo. It should, but better safe than sorry :o)

Other than this solution, you will need to look elsewhere, as this is as far as my knowledge extends...LOL... good luck :o)

Quote:

Originally posted by JonR
Hi, I've had problems trying to configure MDK9.2 to run with my GeForce2Go on my Tosh 3000-514. I get API mismatch between the NVIDIA kernel module (1.0.4496) and the driver (1.0.5336). I've given up since I couldn't find anyone with a fix.
Jon R :(

sleeperawaken 02-05-04 06:08 PM

Re: Re: Geforce 2 on Mandrake 9.2

Quote:

Originally posted by Ben63
Don't anyone know how I can resolve it ?
If I can't make it work, I'll have to buy another card :(

The problem is a problem that is either 5328/Mandrake9.2 or a even more specific 5328/Mandrake9.2/somehardware problem. By updating to the 5336 driver, life is great :o) My Mandrake 9.2 has all the updates as well, so if you still have problems, I recommend doing the updates first, then the 5336 driver install. Good luck.

saaz 02-07-04 10:43 PM

API mismatch

I have the same "API mismatch" problem and sleeperawaken's solution doesn't work for me. It's still finding the old drive somehow when the kernel starts up.

Using Mandrake 9.2

dalton65 02-08-04 10:46 PM

Hey I installed the nvidia driver by using sh nvidia (name of drive).run --extract-only then I change to the directory of the driver "cd nvidia (name of driver) and then typed " make install" . and I just change "nv" to "nvidia" on my xf86config-4 file and then I typed " modprobe nvidia" in failsafe mode after I reboot. then i reboot and then can the huge NVIDIA sign and I almost knocked over my coffee jumping up and down in joy.
I tested it out on bzflag. it was a little choppy but I'll take..haha. well thanks and for those using mandrake 9.1 or just mandrake the kernel is little funky so you may hav e to use the last resort method like I did but it works. Time to do some gaming...peace

sleeperawaken 02-09-04 10:30 AM

Re: API mismatch

No promises, but you can try this (if you haven't already). Go into your config file, & change your "nvidia" back to "nv", reboot, then try installing the new driver. I couldn't get the new driver to install till I did that. Maybe you already tried that, but I thought I would make sure I posted it anyway :o)

Quote:

Originally posted by saaz
I have the same "API mismatch" problem and sleeperawaken's solution doesn't work for me. It's still finding the old drive somehow when the kernel starts up.

Using Mandrake 9.2

Ben63 02-09-04 02:43 PM

It works !!!

sleeperawaken you're the best !
I couldn't try the new driver before because of a movie festival in my land and that I got a new graphic table... anyway !
Thank you for having explained how you did.

Notice that for all this installation and desinstallation, you don't have to reboot ;
for updating driver 4496 to 5336, supposing you have already changed your XConfig file from nv to nvidia, you can do this way :

close your applications running
ctrl+alt+F1 to go to a non Xfree mode (I don't know the correct name)
stop the XFree still running :
//etc/init.d/dm stop
nvidia-installer --uninstall
go to the directory of the new driver
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run
launch XFree : //etc/init.d/dm start

I advise you two things :
- be aware that if it doesn't work you can run XFree with the default driver by putting nv instead of nvidia in the Xconfig file.
- Copy those instruction to a text file so that you'll can read it in the non-Xfree session with e.g. more.

dalton65 02-09-04 05:00 PM

glad I could help...peace