nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Problem with GLX and AMD64 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24468)

Corona688 02-04-04 08:57 AM

Problem with GLX and AMD64

Hola everyone. Starting a new thread as I should have instead of posting in the AMD64-5xxx driver thread. Forgive me, it was late. :)

System hardware: Dual Opteron 242, 1GB ram, 80GB SATA HDD, Tyan Thunder K8W motherboard with built in AC97 audio, Sony DVD+-RW, XFX GeforceFX 5200 graphics.

System software: Distribution is Gentoo Linux, kernel 2.6.1-mm2, ALSA drivers for AC97 audio, XFree86-4.3.0-r2, KDE-3.1.4, nvidia-kernel-1.0.4499, nvidia-glx-1.0.4499 all installed from Gentoo Portage.

The problem I am having can be summed up as "horrible awful lag oh god make it stop". Whenever I start up anything using OpenGL, the following strange things can and do happen:

Startup delay: The OpenGL graphics lag awfully for a few seconds. This goes well beyond the ordinary start-up jitter, this can continue for up to five seconds.

CPU usage spikes: Once running, OpenGL runs mostly smoothly, but every few seconds my system monitor shows a BIG spike, after which the OpenGL skips for several seconds. These spikes do not occur when I'm not running an OpenGL-using application.

System lag: Once running, XFree86 is very slow to respond graphically to anything but the OpenGL window. For example, when running SDLgears at a fixed 100FPS, I can get fine smooth OpenGL performance as long as I don't run anything else or move any windows. The performance of everything else suffers. For instance, running SDLgears, I get smooth fine gear motion in the OpenGL window, and screen updates so slow I can watch the repaint everywhere else. Trying to run another application that draws to the screen often, results in the kind of jittery lagging described below:

High CPU usage: When OpenGL is behaving itself, CPU usage is negligible. When it starts jumping and lagging, however, CPU usage jumps sky-high. SDLgears consumes 100% CPU while getting < 4FPS. Sometimes I have to close the application to stop the lag, which is difficult because every other window is lagging too. Twice I've needed to ctrl-alt-backspace to kill the damn thing.

I've tried the latest AMD64-5xxx driver, and it exhibits same problem. It's SLIGHTLY better, but also less stable, so I went back to 1.0.4499.

I keep getting the feeling that I must be missing something. mesa is not installed, so I'm not getting software rendering... looking through the nVidia docs hasn't offered any clues as to what is happening, let alone why. Google has been unhelpful. Any clues, suggestions, questions, flames?

Corona688 02-06-04 12:09 PM

*bump*

whig 02-06-04 10:06 PM

I was getting jerks playing Q3A. The solution in my case was to compile motherboard drivers into the kernel (which just happened to be the Via ones). Find them under IDE support. Because you use kernel 2.6 give kernel command appends: ide0=autotune ide1=autotune

Try hdparm -i /dev/hda before and after to verify.

Corona688 02-06-04 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by whig
I was getting jerks playing Q3A. The solution in my case was to compile motherboard drivers into the kernel (which just happened to be the Via ones). Find them under IDE support. Because you use kernel 2.6 give kernel command appends: ide0=autotune ide1=autotune

Try hdparm -i /dev/hda before and after to verify.

My hard drive drivers are already compiled into my kernel. I cannot use hdparm because the drivers work through the SCSI interface.

This would not explain the nvidia drivers' behavior, however, since any and all screen updates cause horrible lag and jerkiness - or perhaps just exhibit it because it's happening already - even when disk access is not happening. Moreover, while disk access can cause some skipping(I checked), it does NOT cause the godawful histrionic system lagging that OpenGL decides to do at random intervals.

whig 02-07-04 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Corona688
My hard drive drivers are already compiled into my kernel. I cannot use hdparm because the drivers work through the SCSI interface.
SCSI OK. I thought you said SATA.

Corona688 02-07-04 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by whig
SCSI OK. I thought you said SATA.
I did. :) I am using SATA through a SCSI driver... the SII3114 is only experimentally supported by the IDE drivers, but is fully supported by the SCSI ones. Strange, no?

Corona688 02-08-04 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Corona688
I did. :) I am using SATA through a SCSI driver... the SII3114 is only experimentally supported by the IDE drivers, but is fully supported by the SCSI ones. Strange, no?
Update - Like I mentioned in the other thread, I have reverted to my ancience Geforce2MX, and it has none of these lag problems. The problem is either hardware or driver related.

Corona688 03-06-04 07:25 PM

*BUMP!*

I've moved back to the FX5200, because the MX causes my system to lock up every couple of days, while the FX5200 merely gets ****ty video performance. Does anyone from nvidia really read these threads?

tamran 03-06-04 08:54 PM

dmesg or /var/log/messages output?

Do you find anything strange in your dmesg output or /var/log/messages? I'll bet you're seeing something about "badness found in pci_find_subsys in search.c ..." with a load of "jargin" for about 20 lines?? Please let me know, as I'm curious.

Tamran

Corona688 03-07-04 12:24 AM

Yes, that has happened several times before. I have been unable to correlate it with anything, including the X crashes that kept happening with my GeforceMX.

tamran 03-07-04 02:01 AM

AHAH!

I thought so. Check out the following thread.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=24866

I have (I think) been able to trace it down to either agpgart, or the nvidia driver or both. It seems to be unrelated to the kernel. Try setting:

Option NvAGP "1"

in your XF86Config options in the video card section. This will use the nvidia agp driver instead of the linux kernel agpgart. It may fix things, but it may not. I'm curious to see how it goes.

Regards,

Tamran

tamran 03-07-04 02:05 AM

I almost forgot, you will want (need) to make sure agpgart is neither loaded as a module, or statically in your kernel or the NvAGP "1" setting won't take.

Tamran