nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   It's Hammer time! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=245)

LORD-eX-Bu 07-31-02 01:56 PM

Its Hammer Time!

OK, you guys got me interested in the Hammer, but when will it be released? If Intel has a 3.4 ghz or 3.5 ghz by the time it is released or if it doesn't overclock good I will go back to Intel but right now you guys got me goin' on the Hammer. :eek:

PCarr78 07-31-02 02:39 PM

Early 2003, they say.

As for OCing. Well, who knows.

But I heard it will be released at 2GHz.

If that is true, then you KNOW that it will perform equivalenly to a p4 at double the speed.

And from what I've seen, there is very low heat from the cpu. Yields are apparently good, and it should scale VERY quiclkly. Much more so than AthlonXPs

SavagePaladin 07-31-02 07:28 PM

According to Intel, from what I HAVE heard anyway, they'll be at 3.2.
I honestly don't know how Intels is going to perform, but I do know AMDs is going to rock my world :)

Jazz 07-31-02 08:05 PM

i heard companies r gonna be getting them in Oct and we customers will be able to get our hands on them in Jan.

Intel will probably be at 3GHz in Jan and probably will release a 3.2 soon after. I don't think they can get to 3.4 without a die shrink but im not sure, i heard they can't though. Also the PR rating of the hammer is 3400+ so at least a 3.4GHZ P4 is needed to keep up with it :)

budd_wm 07-31-02 09:00 PM

Another thing to note about the Hammers is 64-bit instruction support. This will make for a long lasting purchase and will be one of the reasons I will be getting one. :D

BTW, is that Jazz from MURC??

PCarr78 07-31-02 09:44 PM

Yes. 64 bit support is an important element that will grant amazing longevity.

sebazve 07-31-02 09:50 PM

Re: Its Hammer Time!

Quote:

Originally posted by |TX|-LORD-EX-BU
OK, f Intel has a 3.4 ghz or 3.5 ghz by the time it is released or if it doesn't overclock good I will go back to Intel :eek:
Why if it doesnt overclock well you will not buy it?
I mean if a Hammer (not overclocked) beats any overclocked P4
I would buy it in a second.

Do you overclock for improving performance or what?

see you

netviper13 07-31-02 09:53 PM

Yes it will, because theoretically when applications are completely 64-bit, your computer will process data twice as fast (twice as big of chunks).

In the latest issue of CPU Magazine, there was a very interesting article on 64-bit technology that compares Intel's methods with AMD's. It sounds as though AMD has an Intel beater here, as Intel's will most likely have very big 32-bit compatibility problems since it is straying from the x86 architecture.

StealthHawk 07-31-02 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jazz
i heard companies r gonna be getting them in Oct and we customers will be able to get our hands on them in Jan.

Intel will probably be at 3GHz in Jan and probably will release a 3.2 soon after. I don't think they can get to 3.4 without a die shrink but im not sure, i heard they can't though. Also the PR rating of the hammer is 3400+ so at least a 3.4GHZ P4 is needed to keep up with it :)

Intel will be at 3GHz before the end of this year.

Bigus Dickus 07-31-02 10:42 PM

64 bit != 2x performance of 32 bit, not even under the most optimized circumstances.

SavagePaladin 07-31-02 10:58 PM

I'd think it would be if you had a full 64 bit algorithm, and at any rate when in full 64 bit mode, it has twice as much data registers for the stuff.
(x86 has 8, x86-64 has 16)
So while 32 to 64 bit may not be by itself significant, along with everything else changed in the architecture, I'd say it certainly is.

(If my terms are off, I'll edit the post later...can't download the tech docs right now)

LORD-eX-Bu 08-02-02 03:43 AM

64 bit doesn't mean twice the performance. Until applications that utilize 64 bit are released you won't see any improvement due any chip being 64 bit. A 64 bit Windows XP is due soon isn't it?