nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Doom 3: PC vs. Mac vs. Xbox (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25093)

Kain 02-19-04 04:12 PM

Doom 3: PC vs. Mac vs. Xbox

Which platform do you think Doom 3 will perform (run) best on?

S.I.N 02-19-04 04:32 PM

Mac of course.

Nutty 02-19-04 05:11 PM

PC of course, as everyone knows MAC's are not the #1 desktop performance king.

vampireuk 02-19-04 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by OWA
What's a Mac? Is that the latest and greatest console?
:cry:

GlowStick 02-19-04 05:14 PM

PC, becuase the xbox is an old console with even older hardware,

and the MAC just dosent have the optzimations and video cards that PC's get.

jedah 02-19-04 05:18 PM

I personally have a PC and nothing else but I think that only the stabillity and raw power of a Mac can handle a smooth and coherent framerate.Using the latest Power Mac G5(Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5) probably will make drop your jaw from graphics quality....

-=DVS=- 02-19-04 05:25 PM

Game must be designed to make use of Dual CPU's to begin with...... if they were alot of us would prolly have dual CPU PCs :rolleyes: and future games depend on strong Graphics card more then on CPU.

And all this comparision is apple to oranges , they will make it run good on Xbox or any other platfrom , by optimizeing reduceing quality if needed and so on.........

But offcourse with all details on PC will be first one to run it good with next gen video cards. :D

CaptNKILL 02-19-04 05:32 PM

Anyone who says anything other than PC is just lying to themselves :p

Edge 02-19-04 06:31 PM

Well, it's obvious that a 2.5 year-old console isn't going to be able to pump out graphics as good as a high-end PC. I think the Xbox COULD run the game very well though, probably at least a consistant 30 FPS throughout the whole game, and they might even be able to add a 720p (1280x720) mode and still have it run smoothly, however I doubt that will happen because it's being ported by a company that is far from being skilled at porting games (Vicarious Visions, who also did the Jedi Outcast port). If ID spent a decent amount of time on the console, I think they could get some very nice graphics out of it, but it seems they have no intrest in doing that right now, so unfortunatly the Xbox version may turn out like Soldier of Fortune 2. Oh well, at least they aren't trying to port the game to PS2!

I guess MACs would be more efficient, but they will simply get trampled on by PCs due to raw speed. There's nothing availible for the MAC that can match up to a 4 ghz P4 with a 9800pro card, even though the CPU is much more efficient. Also with Doom 3 being locked at 60 ticks per second, there's going to be a certain point in CPU speed where a faster processor simply won't help. Though I forgot all about the MAC version of the game, since at this point MAC gaming is kinda dead...

Moled 02-19-04 06:56 PM

probably freebsd as with most other id games

Raptorman 02-19-04 07:35 PM

No PowerMac is going to top my PC, lol.

Anyway, it will run best on PC by far.

Nephilim 02-19-04 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by -=DVS=-
Game must be designed to make use of Dual CPU's to begin with...... if they were alot of us would prolly have dual CPU PCs :rolleyes: and future games depend on strong Graphics card more then on CPU.

And all this comparision is apple to oranges , they will make it run good on Xbox or any other platfrom , by optimizeing reduceing quality if needed and so on.........

But offcourse with all details on PC will be first one to run it good with next gen video cards. :D

Uhhh....Quake 3 makes use of dual procs if you have them. Why wouldn't Doom 3?

Quote:

Originally posted by Edge
I guess MACs would be more efficient, but they will simply get trampled on by PCs due to raw speed. There's nothing availible for the MAC that can match up to a 4 ghz P4 with a 9800pro card, even though the CPU is much more efficient. Also with Doom 3 being locked at 60 ticks per second, there's going to be a certain point in CPU speed where a faster processor simply won't help. Though I forgot all about the MAC version of the game, since at this point MAC gaming is kinda dead...
Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
8GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 8x1GB
2x250 GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

I'd have a tough time believing that Doom 3 would be faster on a single 4Ghz P4 than on a dual 2Ghz G5. If Doom 3 has support for SMP like Quake 3 does (and there isn't any reason to believe it won't), then there I see no reason why a dual proc. Mac couldn't outperform a single proc. PC in game.