nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   why did my score get worse after overclock (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25667)

takuma 03-04-04 09:19 AM

why did my score get worse after overclock

I have a fx 5950 and i overclocked to 540mhz core and 970mhz memory. the score in 3dmark 03 droped from 5189 to 4129. why is it because of thermal throltting or somthing like that and can i disable that or somthing. it is at 37degrees celcius when doing nothing right now is that bad? it wasnt much different before and it stays aroung this tempeture when i check it after 3dmark03 finished. thanks

-=DVS=- 03-04-04 02:17 PM

By Default Nvidia GPUs will cut core cloak to half if it gets to hot , like 2d mode. Thats your problem probably , don't overcloak so high or get better cooling ;)

Err 37 is realy cool , how hot does it get under 3dmark 2k3 ?

takuma 03-04-04 04:49 PM

i lowered it to 510core and it never went to 80c high 70s though. also incase it makes a difference this is a bios flashed 5900 but it works perfectly so far. oh yeah i also got 54xx score after that.

-=DVS=- 03-04-04 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by takuma
i lowered it to 510core and it never went to 80c high 70s though. also incase it makes a difference this is a bios flashed 5900 but it works perfectly so far. oh yeah i also got 54xx score after that.
So undercloaking it worked like a charm glad to hear :)

jimmor 04-25-04 11:13 AM

Re: why did my score get worse after overclock

Quote:

Originally Posted by takuma

if you don't want the effects of down throttling on a 5900 flashed to a 5950u, then flash it with a ASUS5950u bios. The ASUS always runs in 3D, and has no throttling mode. Also fan is at full speed all time, and therefore helps much better with cooling. But will be a bit noisier.

when overclocking your existing 59xx setup, especially using rivatuner, you must reboot after setting the overclocked speeds, as rivatuner does a stress test which prematurely triggers the throttling condition. Rebooting resets this triggered condition.

K-Max 07-04-04 01:04 AM

Re: why did my score get worse after overclock

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmor
if you don't want the effects of down throttling on a 5900 flashed to a 5950u, then flash it with a ASUS5950u bios. The ASUS always runs in 3D, and has no throttling mode. Also fan is at full speed all time, and therefore helps much better with cooling. But will be a bit noisier.

when overclocking your existing 59xx setup, especially using rivatuner, you must reboot after setting the overclocked speeds, as rivatuner does a stress test which prematurely triggers the throttling condition. Rebooting resets this triggered condition.

I have a flashed 5900 Ultra at the moment, and it gets really hot in my case, so I'd like to keep it cooler. Would this Asus BIOS still allow me to use my VIVO?

Thanks,
K-max