nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How's Phillips for Monitors? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2603)

Switch 10-06-02 04:13 PM

How's Phillips for Monitors?

I'm looking at a 19". Any input?

saturnotaku 10-06-02 10:22 PM

I have a 17" Philips that supports some pretty insane refresh rates and a wide variety of resolutions. There aren't a whole lot of consumer level 17" displays that are capable of 1600x1200 at 70 Hz. The quality of the product seems good; my monitor is pretty light weight considering its size. The caveat is that the screen seems to be pretty fragile. My screen has a decent sized gouge on it. Don't ask me how it got there, but it's there. Fortunately it's not in my directi line of vision so I can continue to use the monitor. But I would caution you to be very careful should you decide to purchase a Philips.

Furthermore, don't even bother with any mail-in rebates the company might have. They won't even bother honoring them. Still a good product overall.

ss1 10-07-02 07:41 PM

They have great short necks. Shortist in the whole industry I think. The monitors aren't gonna win any awards for geometry, since all their monitors have a curved screen. Image quality wise they are pretty decent.

ss1.

Gator 10-08-02 08:51 AM

i can only comment on what I know about them, they make you send the monitor to them if there is any defect. Instead of sending you a new one and you send back your old one, they leave you stranded without any monitor until they get around to repairing it. Kinda lame, I know with Dell if it breaks, they send you new one and you send back old one after.

I knwo this because of my IT company, we got complaints from the Phillips users over their down time.

SnakeEyes 10-08-02 09:22 AM

Hmm.. Dunno about the support side, since I haven't had to use it, but my Philips 19" (model 109P20) is the best monitor I've used yet. And it is a true flat square tube. So geometry is spot on, at least with this model.

Linkage for the109P20.

Switch 10-08-02 11:24 AM

Well, there are definitely some positive things here.

SnakeEyes, I'm looking at the 109B20, their business 19".

SnakeEyes 10-08-02 07:22 PM

After looking at the info on the 109B20, it should be a pretty nice monitor. I myself prefer aperture grill (trinitron / diamondtron tubes) over the shadow mask tubes, but I have seen some very good shadow mask models in the past.

Switch 10-08-02 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
After looking at the info on the 109B20, it should be a pretty nice monitor. I myself prefer aperture grill (trinitron / diamondtron tubes) over the shadow mask tubes, but I have seen some very good shadow mask models in the past.
The 109B20 isn't Aperture Grill?

thcdru2k 10-08-02 10:10 PM

it's a shadowmask but reading alot of reviews on the monitor and alot of consumer opinions i don't think this would be a bad buy.

thcdru2k 10-08-02 10:15 PM

however isn't the 109B20 like over 200 bucks. i'm pretty sure there are a few diamondtron/trinitrion/aperture grille 19in for less than $200.

SnakeEyes 10-08-02 10:18 PM

Right. I thought it would be aperture grill too, until I read the specs pdf document from the Philips site. It's listed as a Flat Shadow Mask tube. That doesn't say it's bad though, because I've seen several really nice shadow mask based monitors before. I prefer aperture grill mainly because it's a bit rarer (sp?:p) to get a poor aperture-grill based monitor than a poor shadow mask based monitor. The specs on that monitor look good though (dot pitch, etc.).

Fluke 10-09-02 08:40 AM

parents in law had one, it last 2 years.