nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Problems with drivers (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2668)

fforw 10-08-02 06:51 PM

Problems with drivers

1 Attachment(s)
I have problems running the drivers after installing the new redhat 8.0.

yes.. I did install the tar.gz
I also tried both both rpm..

NVChooser advised the kernel source rpm and glx rpm.

I tried that.

everytime there's a hard crash when starting X. machine reboots or freezes. XFree86.0.log mangled.

Before the new install I ran an updated Redhat 7.1 and the 2960 -Version used to run fine...
(2960 doesn't work anymore.. tried that, too)

Winfast Geforce 3 Ti 200
1200Mhz AMD Athlon
VIA chipset

does anyone have an idea?
:confused:

mtrr 10-08-02 07:13 PM

remove those idebus=66 and ide0=ata66 from kernel commandline and try again.

HTH

cheers

fforw 10-09-02 12:56 PM

Problems with drivers

i have removed the "idebus=66 ide0=ata66" parameters from the grub.cfg but that doesn't change anything...

(would have suprised since I ran with exactly those combination of kernel parameters for ages)

although i tried starting X without DMA66 two times I was not able to get another XFree86.0.log

if I put /var/log on my reiserfs-partition there is not only no new log but also the old one restored which I deleted before (transaction not closed ?).. also putting /var/log on by ext2 boot partition led to nothing..

mtrr 10-09-02 03:19 PM

sync before you issue startx, reiser (and probably other journaled fs)
has this nasty behaviour. "ages" ago I had a similar problem with reiser,
so I stopped using it.

sorry no other ideas at the moment.

bwkaz 10-09-02 04:03 PM

You've rebooted your kernel since you've changed the grub config file, correct?

I just read that grub doesn't require that you rerun it when you change the config, so that's not the problem...

Does /proc/cmdline tell you that the ATA and idebus (idebus, incidentally, should be the speed of your PCI bus, not your IDE cables -- it was misnamed -- but it's only used in PIO modes, not DMA/MWDMA/UDMA setups, so that might be why you never noticed a difference) options are now no longer set?

Was this a clean install of RedHat? Or did you try to upgrade? I've seen upgrades to some really weird things to machines...

Edit: Your log file appears to have some bits of X's log, some bits of /var/log/messages, and a large piece of either /boot/System.map or /proc/ksyms. I don't know if that helps anyone or not, but those are the files that the contents of your X log file are usually in.

fforw 10-10-02 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bwkaz
You've rebooted your kernel since you've changed the grub config file, correct?

I just read that grub doesn't require that you rerun it when you change the config, so that's not the problem...

Does /proc/cmdline tell you that the ATA and idebus (idebus, incidentally, should be the speed of your PCI bus, not your IDE cables -- it was misnamed -- but it's only used in PIO modes, not DMA/MWDMA/UDMA setups, so that might be why you never noticed a difference) options are now no longer set?

Was this a clean install of RedHat? Or did you try to upgrade? I've seen upgrades to some really weird things to machines...

Edit: Your log file appears to have some bits of X's log, some bits of /var/log/messages, and a large piece of either /boot/System.map or /proc/ksyms. I don't know if that helps anyone or not, but those are the files that the contents of your X log file are usually in.

yes.. I have rebooted (I've never rebooted my linux installs that much.. thought I'd left that behind with deinstalling windows =)

/proc/cmdline:
ro root=/dev/hda3 mem=nopentium hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi

the install was clean. only non-system data files back-upped.

fforw 10-11-02 06:16 PM

problem solved

okay.. finally I got my nvidia drivers running..

this time I installed the .tar.gz

as usual they didn't work .. so I started to fiddle around.. I tried to remove the

mem=nopentium

from my cmdline and it worked.

(ironically I inserted that specific parameter because the first nvidia driver I installed crashed on me otherwise.)

(if I'd only found out before doing another complete reinstall "just to be sure")

bwkaz 10-11-02 07:06 PM

Oh yeah -- if you're using kernel 2.4.19, then you don't need mem=nopentium (assuming your processor is an Athlon XP or MP... I believe you still need it with the T-bird core but I don't know for sure). AMD released a kernel patch to lkml a while ago, and it appears to be integrated into 2.4.19.