nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XFX GeForceFX 5700 Ultra OR Sapphire Radeon 9600XT??? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27178)

Grechie 04-10-04 10:32 PM

XFX GeForceFX 5700 Ultra OR Sapphire Radeon 9600XT???

Hey people, ive always been a nvidia person, ive always used nvidia as my graphics ever since 3dfx died...but now im faced with a decision which is hard, i live in australia and prices are high for video cards...now i wanted to up from a ti4200 to a xfx geforcefx 5700 ultra, which is bout 350 dollars or something, but then my friend offered to sell me his sapphire radeon 9600 XT for 310 (he payed 399 for it) its tempting but i dont know which is good for games, arnt they equal in a sense?

can anyone help me decide which to get :)

MiK

anzak 04-11-04 01:22 AM

Re: XFX GeForceFX 5700 Ultra OR Sapphire Radeon 9600XT???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grechie
Hey people, ive always been a nvidia person, ive always used nvidia as my graphics ever since 3dfx died...but now im faced with a decision which is hard, i live in australia and prices are high for video cards...now i wanted to up from a ti4200 to a xfx geforcefx 5700 ultra, which is bout 350 dollars or something, but then my friend offered to sell me his sapphire radeon 9600 XT for 310 (he payed 399 for it) its tempting but i dont know which is good for games, arnt they equal in a sense?

can anyone help me decide which to get :)

MiK

I would buy the 9600XT. Why? Because it's much more future proof than the 5700u and it's cheaper. Sure the cards are about equal now but in pixel shader 2.0 heavy games the FX series falls on it's face. In todays games though, the 5700u is a little faster but not in all cases (Far Cry for example). Here is what X-Bit concluded http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...9600xt_21.html

dan2097 04-11-04 03:11 AM

what anzak said, +the 9600XT is cheaper, the fx 5700 ultra is faster in some older games although usually frame rates are good on both cards.

RobHague 04-11-04 08:47 AM

FarCry performance/image quality is fixed now im pretty sure with the latest leaked drivers and farcry patch.

Go for the 5700U.

Both the 5700U and 9600XT are not future proof, and are going to be equally poor at DX9 - even the top end 9800's struggle along with proper DX9 games - thats what the next generation are for... so a few FPS difference on either side makes no odds. Go for the 5700U, the new ForceWare drivers are nicer than the cat's.

anzak 04-11-04 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobHague
FarCry performance/image quality is fixed now im pretty sure with the latest leaked drivers and farcry patch.

Go for the 5700U.

Both the 5700U and 9600XT are not future proof, and are going to be equally poor at DX9 - even the top end 9800's struggle along with proper DX9 games - thats what the next generation are for... so a few FPS difference on either side makes no odds. Go for the 5700U, the new ForceWare drivers are nicer than the cat's.

struggle along? Yeah right. Both Far Cry demos run great on my 9600XT @ 1024x768 with every option on very high. You also think that the IQ problem is fixed, take a look at comparison HardOCP did http://hardocp.com/image.html?image=...8xNF9sLmpwZw== . Even with the 1.1 patch the Geforce FX 5900XT cannot keep up with the 9600XT much less the 5700u http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA0LDQ= . How are the Forceware drivers nicer than the Catalyst? I have never had a problem with them and the AA and AF IQ is much better IMO. With that said there is no reason to buy the 5700 ultra when you can have a superior product for less.

Equally poor in DX9? Maybe I should post some Shader Mark scores :rolleyes:

theultimo 04-11-04 02:18 PM

Bah, nVidia seems to be coming back to the old style, with weekly leaks....

RobHague 04-11-04 02:23 PM

Quote:

struggle along? Yeah right. Both Far Cry demos run great on my 9600XT @ 1024x768 with every option on very high.
You need to let me in on you're secret then, as my 9800xt drops frames to a noticable degree at certain points in FarCry (the full game). I would call that struggling - especially when comparable games using DX8/OGL run amzingly well..

I would image that with a 9600xt with its half-pipe design with its 128bit memory bus would be slower... no? Then again when i say struggle, i also mean that you cant play DX9 games with full AA/AF like you can with any of the current DX8 titles... not without serious draw backs in performance anyhow - Thats If AA works at all. Halo anyone?

Quote:

You also think that the IQ problem is fixed, take a look at comparison HardOCP did http://hardocp.com/image.html?image...18xNF9sLmpwZw== . Even with the 1.1 patch the Geforce FX 5900XT cannot keep up with the 9600XT much less the 5700u http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA0LDQ= .
The comparison HardOCP did is out of date. I said with the latest forceware drivers too, which are 6x.xx something or other. That review was based on the patch only. Every forceware release usually ups the shader performance too... not that it matters. Buying a mainstream card and expecting uber DX9 performance is :screwy:...

Quote:

How are the Forceware drivers nicer than the Catalyst? I have never had a problem with them and the AA and AF IQ is much better IMO.
AA quality is much better... not that you will be able to make much use of it with its nuted 128bit memory bus...

The ForceWare drivers are better, in terms of features. I have used both cards and i find myself wishing i could have the ForceWare drivers with my 9800xt :D.... profiles for a start. Also digital vibrance and Nview can be quite handy at times. Did i mention profiles?

Quote:

With that said there is no reason to buy the 5700 ultra when you can have a superior product for less. Equally poor in DX9? Maybe I should post some Shader Mark scores.
Would those shadermarks be recent? I prefer scores from actual games. :)

anzak 04-11-04 02:41 PM

Quote:

The ForceWare drivers are better, in terms of features. I have used both cards and i find myself wishing i could have the ForceWare drivers with my 9800xt :D.... profiles for a start. Also digital vibrance and Nview can be quite handy at times. Did i mention profiles?

Yeah I agree with the game profiles, hopefully ATI will add them into the next Catalyst set.

Quote:

AA quality is much better... not that you will be able to make much use of it with its nuted 128bit memory bus...

10GB (13GB in the case of my overclocked Powercolor card) is more than enuff bandwidth to run almost every game (BF:1942, UT2003 and 2004, COD, and Painkiller) I play at 2xAA and 8xAF and since the 5700u has 14GB im sure it would also have no problems running games at these settings.

I don't know about Far Cry (the full game) but both demos never drop below 25fps and hang at 40fps most of the time im sure that if I dropped the everything down to high it would stay at 30-40.

Quote:

I prefer scores from actual games.

Far Cry is the only game that pushes PS2.0 right now and I have already posted a comparison.

SH64 04-11-04 03:41 PM

Wait for the next gen GPUs .. we are 2 days (or one after 3 hours my time) from the lanuch .
the prices will get lower & then you'll be able to get a 9800pro or 5900u for that price .
if you cant wait .. get the 9600XT since its cheaper .

anzak 04-11-04 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SH64
Wait for the next gen GPUs .. we are 2 days (or one after 3 hours my time) from the lanuch .
the prices will get lower & then you'll be able to get a 9800pro or 5900u for that price .
if you cant wait .. get the 9600XT since its cheaper .

Yeah, you could wait. But I dont see the Radeon 9800 pro dropping much more it's already about $210 at newegg.

ChrisRay 04-11-04 04:13 PM

Right now All Shader 2.0 Model is going to offer you over the FX cards is probably precision, Games just wont be designed to take advantage of Pixel Shader 2.0 to any real degree until these cards are so dead obsolete,

Shader 2.0 is programmed as an after thought to increase Quality a bit IMO.

trashcan 04-11-04 11:46 PM

I have both a ATI9600 and a BFG5700U. Both look about the same, I really dont notice anything differnt about the graphics. My 5700 feels faster though , it seem to chop less or pause in the middle of the game less , i'm just going by game play (not using fraps or in game fps counter). Both are real good cards and you'd be happy with either one.