nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Problems with the nvidia drivers (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27385)

Orphyss 04-15-04 08:02 AM

Problems with the nvidia drivers

2 Attachment(s)
I've intalled Mandrake 9.2 on my PC. So due to the fact that i have a GeForce3 Ti500 i decided to download and to install the Nvidia drivers. The installation process running well and it ask me to modify my XF86config-4 with the view to run the driver. then i changed in the XF86config-4 file the sentence :driver "nv" by driver "nvidia". the problem is that when i "startx" nothing happened. I've a black screen, my keyboard work but nothing happened. My motherBoard is a MSI K7N2 Delta-L, processor : Athlon 2200+, ram : 256 mo DDR. the driver version is :Linux Display Driver - IA32 Version: 1.0-5336. Here is the XFree86.0.Log before the change and after the change. please help me :(

whig 04-15-04 06:13 PM

Re: Problems with the nvidia drivers

Post your XF86Config-4, because I don't see much in those logs.

Orphyss 04-19-04 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for answer. Here is the XF86Config-4. :)

LordMorgul 04-19-04 12:33 PM

Try making these minor adjustments :)
Code:

Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Virtual 1024 768
        Modes "1024x768"  "1024x480" # insert other modes you wish to use here #
    EndSubsection

Code:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce3 (generic)"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "NvAGP" "1"
    Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Orphyss 04-20-04 07:38 AM

I only change the section "device" and it doesn't work. I will try now to change the section "device" and the Subsection "Display". But i would like to know want is GLX, as when i try to install any package with urpmi command that contain the lettre glx, linux says that he doesn't know what it is. Is that a problem ?

LordMorgul 04-20-04 02:26 PM

GLX is the driver extension for OpenGL rendering (accelerated). If you cannot get X to start with the "nvidia" driver then glx may not load at all (there is a software OpenGL version available and probably installed on your computer called Mesa-libGL). Do not concern yourself with this until the driver actually loads and you have a working desktop with the "nvidia" driver rather than the "nv" driver.

This may not be the only meaning of 'glx' as far as packages with this as part of the name... give specific package names if you need to know more.

What kernel are you running? (uname -r)

Orphyss 04-21-04 07:08 AM

So i change my XF86config-4 with the changes you advise me to do,but it doesn't work. I steel have the black screen. My kernel version is 2.4.22-10mdk.

llindir 04-27-04 01:27 PM

Seems similar to a problem I was seeing. What happens if you remove the Options "DPMS" line from the Device section and have driver "nvidia"?

Orphyss 04-28-04 03:47 AM

It doesn't change the problem.

Orphyss 04-30-04 04:16 AM

I find a solution in this forum.

finally i have to write those line in my XF86config-4:

Driver "nvidia"
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP, TV"

Thanks justin1171 who find this solution, and i vould like to really thanks you for your helps.

:jumping: