nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My impressions of Desert Storm (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2750)

cricket 10-10-02 11:19 PM

first impression's of desert storm

i picked up a copy of CONFLICT DESERT STORM today ......so far it is real good. graphics are great/gameplay is good(once you learn all the controls)..one note though: increase the horizontal mouse speed it will help(in mouse options),but leave vertical mouse sensitivity as is or just slightly higher than default...otherwise i left all other controls as default for movement/commands..etc. and the missions get harder as you go further into the game, but it is intense. the first mission is same as demo but after that you have 3 other guys with you. im up to mission 3 so far...its a tough one but hey thats what makes the game worth playing. one other special note. make sure you "save game: once you get to end of each mission...i dont think it auto saves. or save game when you get to a hard spot. one last special note: it says on box of game "recommended system spec's are": P4 1.0GHZ/DIRECTX 8.1/GEFORCE 4 VIDEO CARD WITH 64MB RAM/128 MB SYSTEM MEMORY/930MB HARD DRIVE SPACE/WINDOWS 98 ME 2000 XP/8X CD ROM/KEYBOARD & MOUSE
and even though it says it has multiplayer the only way to join is to type the host ip address in to connect. there are no server's to connect or look for, basically if a guy that lives next to you dont have it, most likely you wont be playing multiplayer. there was no CD KEY that i had to type in when installing game so maybe i can put it on my other system and have a friend go into it with me as a teammate. my best advice to anyone that buys it is to go through the training level first..it helps a lot and is somewhat funny(drill instructor is funny). you can also call in airstrikes in some missions, which in the training mission looked cool as hell.

cricket 10-12-02 11:14 AM

has anyone else here bought the game yet?

Red Dog 10-14-02 08:43 PM

2 days ago I fell asleep watchin tv.

woke around 3am for a second and happened to glance at the tv.

saw the TV adv for Desert Storm. in the final segment of said tv adv a sniper has Sadam Hussein in his crosshairs.

right then and there I knew I had to get it. imo we should have finished that job once we started it and many good people paid the price as a result.

graphicaly the game is very cool. nice use of per pixel lighting with my ti46. trees and shrubs that sway. animals that walk around. constant fly-by's by both friendly and ugly aircraft. bloody hands, faces. beautiful sand storm effects. buzzards circling overhead.

sound is very good imo. characters that use mild profanity and occasionaly have a sick sense of humor are cool.

took your advice about mouse sensitivity.

first Desert Storm then VietCong. Woot!

cricket 10-15-02 11:39 AM

yes...it is a very good game..ive completed the single player missions(about 15 in all)...game could have been a bit longer, but it was fun. basically in this game you have to stategically move yourself and 3 other teammates, which you control at all times,to complete each mission.the dissapointment though is that it will almost be impossible for the multiplayer part of the game to take off.the single has a good mixture of idea's: example: rescue prisioner/infiltrate area's/recovery/blow up certain things etc.some day mission's and some at night where the night vision looks good.(night vision gogles included)now im waiting for NOLF2 to show up so i cant start racking my brain some more.ordered it 2 days ago should be here soon.