nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   GeForce 4 Ti 128 on Mandrake 8.2 ??? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2767)

reducer 10-11-02 01:44 PM

GeForce 4 Ti 128 on Mandrake 8.2 ???

Can anyone help me on installing the GeForce 4 ti 128 drivers on a mandrake 8.2 plz ? I asked the question a while before, but nobody could help me or wanted to help me :(

bwkaz 10-11-02 03:04 PM

Download NVchooser off the driver page.

Run it (sh NVchooser.sh should do that for you)

Download the files it tells you to.

Install them. If it recommends normal .rpm files, then rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel* followed by rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX*, both run from the directory you saved the RPM files to, will do that. If it recommends .srpm or .src.rpm files, then running rpmbuild --rebuild or rpm --rebuild on the .srpm or .src.rpm file will create a normal .rpm that you can rpm -ivh. Do the kernel before the GLX.

reducer 10-11-02 03:37 PM

Thanx, but I already did that. The problem here is that the Geforce 4 ti is not known in the video cards list from mandrake 8.2 and in a first stage it instals a VGA Generic driver. Afterwards, I don't know what to do to get Geforce 4 Ti activated (or what ever you call this operation). Even after having installed the rpm's from nvidia.

I already installed the drivers for a Geforce 2 on a computer with a Geforce 2. I managed easily to do this because the Geforce 2 is known by Mandrake 8.2.

On the other hand, I installed Mandrake 9 but I'm not satisfied by it because of several bugs when using it. And also, I couldn't manage to instal the drivers for the Geforce 4 Ti. Maybe that video card is just not what I thought it was to be :( but still, it works fine under Microsoft Windows and that's not what I intend to use in a near future. So, the day I'll manage to instal my new video card, both 2D display and 3D acceleration functionning, I'll never use M$ Windows again. :D

bwkaz 10-11-02 05:22 PM

So the problem isn't with the nVidia drivers...

You have to install X version 4. 3.3.6 (which might be the default for generic VGA cards) will not work, this is probably your problem. What does X -version tell you?

Edit: Did you change the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, like the README says to do? That should, assuming you do have X version 4 or greater, do the "change".

Andy Mecham 10-11-02 05:39 PM

reducer: There are full installation instructions in the README, available from the driver download page.

--andy

reducer 10-11-02 07:57 PM

Of course I edited the file. But I believe that my video card has to be recognized by X server for the 2D display before the nvidia drivers can work, am I right or not ? If so, that's why I cannot instal my Geforce 4 ti under Mandrake 8.2 because in Mandrake 8.2 you only have Geforce, Geforce 2, Geforce 2 DDR and Geforce 3. But no Geforce 4. So I cannot initialise my video board. Correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

reducer 10-11-02 08:01 PM

oups, you said X 4.3.3.6 ? Does the version of X gives the video card choices ? I've got 4.2.x.x, can this be the reason of my troubles ? Where can I get the latest version ?

Andy Mecham 10-11-02 08:06 PM

Quote:

Of course I edited the file. But I believe that my video card has to be recognized by X server for the 2D display before the nvidia drivers can work, am I right or not ? If so, that's why I cannot instal my Geforce 4 ti under Mandrake 8.2 because in Mandrake 8.2 you only have Geforce, Geforce 2, Geforce 2 DDR and Geforce 3. But no Geforce 4. So I cannot initialise my video board. Correct me if I'm wrong.
No, that isn't necessary. The accelerated driver will work regardless of the card you chose for 2D. Your card is fully supported under Mandrake 8.2 with the accelerated driver.
Quote:

oups, you said X 4.3.3.6 ? Does the version of X gives the video card choices ? I've got 4.2.x.x, can this be the reason of my troubles ? Where can I get the latest version ?
He meant XFree86 3.3.6, which was the last released version of X before 4.* came out. The NVIDIA driver requires XFree86 4.0.1 or later - the version that ships with Mandrake 8.2 meets (and exceeds) this requirement.

--andy

reducer 10-11-02 08:16 PM

Thank you for your quick reply :D

What card type should I choose when I'm configuring the display drivers according to you ? I can choose the following different drivers, nevertheless I've tried them all with no success :

- NVIDIA|Geforce
- NVIDIA|Geforce 256 (generic)
- NVIDIA|Geforce DDR (generc)
- NVIDIA|Geforce2 DDR (generic)
- NVIDIA|Geforce2 Integrated (generic)
- NVIDIA|Geforce3 (generic)

They all reported the folowing error :

(EE) No device detected

Meanwhile, the only one who matches my card under linux is the following : VGA generic :( which is very slow.

I'm worried, because I'm starting to believe I haven't got the right card, still it works perfectly under microsoft windows and there it is recognized as a Geforce 4 Ti 4200.... etc etc...

Maybe this will help you help me ;)

Andy Mecham 10-11-02 08:26 PM

It really doesn't matter which one you pick; they all choose the opensource "nv" driver. Unfortunately, the GeForce 4 family of cards isn't supported by the version of the "nv" driver that shipped with Mandrake 8.2; the only 2D driver that supports it with the version of X you have is the vesa driver. However, this doesn't matter, as you'll be changing over to use the accelerated "nvidia" driver that you downloaded, which fully supports the GeForce 4 family in 2D and 3D.

Have you downloaded and run NVchooser.sh from the NVIDIA driver download page? Have you followed the instructions in the README and sucessfully installed the NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX RPMs? Have you modified your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to load "glx" and the "nvidia" driver?

--andy

reducer 10-11-02 08:33 PM

I'll try all this tomorrow again (I really want to make this work :D ), following exactly the instructions this time. Meanwhile, I thank you for you're support and for all your efforts.
Thanks !

reducer 10-12-02 10:51 AM

I LOVE LINUX !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I found what was wrong in my installation. It was easier than I thought. The problem was that once the nvidia rpm's installed and the XF86Config-4 file edited as said in the manual, there was still a modifiction missing in that configuration file. That modification has not been done automaticaly by the system because the Video Card is not recognized by Mandrake 8.2. Well, here is the solution :

You have to specify after having changed every line in the XF86Config-4 file the Device used by your Screen setting in the "Screen section".

Here's the sample of my XF86Config-4 configuration file for those who don't want to lose any more time searching for a solution installing their new and beautiful GeForce 4 ;) :

first of all you have the X server have to load the GLX acceleration, this is done by specifying the folowing line in the
' Section "modules" '

Load "glx" #just add this line in the Module section

Then you have to specify wich card you have and wich driver to use, this is done in the ' Section "device" ' by replacing the existing configuration by the following :

Identifier "Geforce4" #this identifer can ben whatever you like
VendorName "unknown" #just write whatever you like lol
BoardName "unknown" #idem
Driver "nividia" #here you must write "nvidia"

Till here it is like in the manual or README file distributed by Nvidia. But now comes the clue (or whatever you call this :D, I'm sorry, my english is not very good). The identifier "Geforce" you have written in the ' Section "Device" ' is used by the screen configuration. As I understood, the screen configuration is given for your video board and so I thought that I maybe had to give the indentifier name somewhere. And it was what I thought !! God I'm good ! :D

Here is what you have to do :

In the ' Section "screen" ' just go to the line beginning with "Device" and write down "Geforce4" between the brackets. In fact, there, the X server uses the string you used as Identifier in the ' Section "device" ' and so you have to specifie it there to to make the X server know what video card you use for that specific screen configuration.

Here is what you should have if you've used "Geforce4" as identifier (note : if you used another identifier name, you just have to use that other particular name here).

Section "screen"
Identifier "screen1" #by default so called.
Device "Geforce4" #as used in the Section "Device"

... just leave the rest of the section as it was.

Now you save the whole operation, exit your root user and start X by typing "startx". There it is ! You are now able to install UT2003 (or whatever you want lol) and play play play play ! By the way you can notice the difference in speed when you move a window. It's the prove that even the 2D display has been updated.

What do we say ? WE LOVE LINUX !!!!!! Yeah ! :p

See ya !