nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   A few Questions Need Answering Please. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28183)

redfrog 05-03-04 08:41 AM

A few Questions Need Answering Please.

G'Day Everyone,

Thanks for the info from my last post. It helped a lot. I have finally gotten my nvidia drivers installed and they are for the most part working well. However, there are some things I am not aware of and am hoping I can have everyone take a look at this file:

http://www.arklinux.info/ark.docs/xfree86.0.log.txt

and tell me if anything seems odd. I have added the "NoLogo" option to my XF86Config file to avoid the logo, but now I am looking into something a little more complex.

Everything seems to run well. However, when I try to run chromium or Frozenbubble ( cause that is what is available ) when I try to go to a full screen for either my machine screen goes black ( normal when mode changing) and the sound skips really fast and then the machine is hosed. I have to actually turn off the machine to get it to work again.

I have been looking at a couple things in the readme file. One that caught my attention is below:

Q: When I run GameX, it crashes when changing video modes; what's wrong?

A: You are probably experiencing the problem described above. Please check the text output for the "WARNING" message describe in the previous hint. Setting __GL_SINGLE_THREADED to 1 as described above, before running GameX will fix the problem.

However, I DO NOT get this message, just the above skipping sound and then darkness.

WARNING: Your system is running with a buggy dynamic loader.
This may cause crashes in certain applications. If you
experience crashes you can try setting the environment
variable __GL_SINGLE_THREADED to 1. For more information
please consult the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section in
the file /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README.

If anyone has any ideas on anything to check or what to put somewhere, please let me know. Also, where does the __GL_SINGLE_THREADED option exists? What file? Where?

Any and all information is appreciated. Primarily I am concerned with the freezing in full screen modes. However, I am just as concerned that my file above is totally correct and nothing seems outta place, wrong or not running as it seems it should be.

Kind regards,
redfrog

Thunderbird 05-03-04 09:55 AM

Re: A few Questions Need Answering Please.

__GL_SINGLE_THREADED is an environment variable which you can put for example in your .bashrc or another file you like. As far as I know it mainly exists to work around bugs in some old distros.

Likely there's some glibc related problem for example related to nptl.

redfrog 05-03-04 11:17 AM

Please check the log file I posted.. Please let me know if the warnings are a problem and your comments on it.

Kind regards,
redfrog

Thunderbird 05-03-04 11:34 AM

The log file is mainly for configuring X it doesn't have much to do with OpenGL stuff.

redfrog 05-03-04 12:23 PM

Understood, but there are some errors and it does indicate the entire nvidia process. I just want to make sure that it looks ok, and that it is loading the way it should be. I noticed some warnings in there cause my latop is 1600x1200 and I have to manually change the DisplaySize to keep my fonts at 75pixels x 75. Is that warning something that has an alternate solution.. yada..

I just want to make sure that you professionals do not see anything that stands out, that has a fix.

Kind regards,
redfrog

Thunderbird 05-03-04 01:07 PM

I guess you mean errors like this:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "320x200" (vrefresh out of range)
(II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "720x400" (vrefresh out of range)
(II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "360x200" (vrefresh out of range)
(II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "640x480" (vrefresh out of range)

You can ignore those, the drivers just validate all builtin xfree86 modelines and like to print out lines like that. Further I don't know much about DPI but thought there were some settings to adjust it.