nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   3d acc. on Fedora Core 2 test 3's X.org (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28526)

Razzy 05-09-04 12:01 AM

3d acc. on Fedora Core 2 test 3's X.org

Hello all,

can anyone tell me how to install the NVIDIA-3D drivers on FC2 test3 ?

i tried, but really NOTHING happened after editing the XF86Config ... later i tried to edit the xorgconfig but then my sys only rebooted after booting

What shall I do to get it running?

dpw2atox 05-09-04 12:58 AM

Re: 3d acc. on Fedora Core 2 test 3's X.org

search the forum. the new kernel in fedora core 2 has 4k_stacks enabled which breaks the nvidia drivers. you have to recompile the kernel without 4k_stacks to be able to use the nvidia drivers for now. either this or just wait till nvidia's next release.

Phiber Optik 05-10-04 12:24 AM

no, that isnt the problem. it will be a problem, but it would freeze if it was.

dpw2atox 05-10-04 12:26 AM

well regardless he does have to recompile the kernel before he even worries about it restarting if he wants to install the nvidia drivers.

LordMorgul 05-10-04 02:12 AM

If the box rebooted after a short time of 'nothing shown, black screen'.. its possible it is set to reboot on kernel panics (which is what the 4K stack issue will create). Pushing ctrl-alt-del would also trigger the reboot which he may not be aware of after a kernel panic. Its not too clear what order things transpired...

Razzy:
IF you already recompiled the kernel to deal with the issues...
1) you should remove /etc/X11/XF86Config and use only /etc/X11/xorg.conf, this will simplify your life.
2) use system-config-display to generate a clean, new config
3) edit for nvidia's driver
4) start X or GDM or init 5... however you prefer to do it...
5) if you immediately get a blank screen, you may not have the 4K stack or reg parm issue dealt with quite correctly...

In any case, a more thorough description of what you have done so far will help us get you on the right track -- include info about your system, and attach the config used.. and /var/log/Xorg.0.log if possible.

Razzy 05-10-04 06:56 AM

actually, when i typed "make menuconfig" it didnt tell me anything about 4k stacks...! So what to do? Are there other possible names for that feature? I did not compile the new kernel so far.

My sys is a 1600+ Athlon XP, 512 MB ram, NFORCE2 Board, NV GF4 Ti, Fedora Core 2 test3

will send you the configs and so on soon, am currently not @ home...

until now i did..

-> installed Fedora core
-> init 3; runned the .run; let it compile a new kernel-interface
-> edited the config(s)
-> reboot
-> got trouble
-> re installed and asked you for help

c ya and thanks for your help so far

hppnq 05-10-04 08:13 AM

You can double check by doing

# grep CONFIG_4KSTACKS /usr/src/linux/.config

If it doesn't say anything, the option to switch to 8K stacks has been removed from the kernel. (I haven't downloaded the latest Fedora yet, so I cannot check myself.)

In that case, you have two options:

* download, configure and compile a stock kernel (from kernel.org for instance)
* install the source rpm, revert the 4k-stacks patch and configure and compile this kernel

Probably the latter is preferable, since you would still have the rest of the Fedora patches intact. A description of how to accomplish this:

. install the kernel sources (kernel-source-2.6.5-1.315)
. install the kernel SRPM (kernel-2.6.5-1.315.src.rpm)
. cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.315
. patch -R -p1 < ../redhat/SOURCES/linux-2.6.5-nostack.patch

Of course you have to change the kernel version, this example was used for FC2 test 2, IIRC.

Now, configure, compile and install the kernel and re-install the nvidia driver and you should be up and running.