nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nvidia linux TODO (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28751)

blueworm 05-14-04 01:56 PM

Nvidia linux TODO

I wonder what Nvidias linux TODO looks like???
Anyone willing to speculate?

maro 05-14-04 02:28 PM

Re: Nvidia linux TODO

1 fix pci_badness problem
2 goto 1

tsauron2003 05-14-04 02:47 PM

Due to hatred of the previous post, I will change it

1. Genral stabillity fixes
2. Re-implementation of the NVIDIA controll panel
3. Stack problem fix
4. PCI badness fix

The preivious post was a joke, and i know it was :lame: , sorry

SuLinUX 05-14-04 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsauron2003
1. Relase buggy driver
2. Ignore linux comunity
3. Have pizza (ordered from dominoes, using the linux command prompt, of course)
4. Catch a chick flick
5. Relase same buggy driver, but give it a new version number to simulate progress.

What buggy driver? and I think you'll find the next release will fix is main issues, nvidia are not ignoring linux users at all. Use ATI driver and you'll come running back. :rolleyes:

tsauron2003 05-14-04 02:59 PM

Ha.. quick response
Firstly let me say this. I will take Nvidia any day over ATI, as I already have tried thier drivers (if you even want to call them that)
Most of Nvidias drivers have been great, but the last 2 have been buggy, at least for me
Anyways, the 4620's are great, but I hope a new and better driver will be released soon (including the control panel.. not that it matters.. i could just extract it from the 4620's.. and I dont use it)
Anyways, I do have great respect for Nvidias linux support, and I hope they keep up the effort

Anthaus 05-14-04 03:08 PM

This whole "ATIs linux drivers suck" issue is a myth.
They are quite troublesome to install but after that they usually have good stability even if they performance is somewhat lacking compared with nvidia's.

Think what you will. Nvidia is not alone in the linux graphics arena. Not anymore.

tsauron2003 05-14-04 03:22 PM

I know that they have poor performance from experience and are difficult to install
Poor performance+difficult to install = sucks

Anthaus 05-14-04 04:10 PM

pci_badness problem = bad (nvidia)
unlimited UT2K4 = good (ATI)

I use nvidia, anyway. But I had to ditch my expensive 5900 for my old Ti 4600.

tsauron2003 05-14-04 04:20 PM

My 5900 works great in UT2004 with the 4620s.

SuLinUX 05-14-04 04:30 PM

Quote:

Ha.. quick response
Firstly let me say this. I will take Nvidia any day over ATI, as I already have tried thier drivers (if you even want to call them that)
Most of Nvidias drivers have been great, but the last 2 have been buggy, at least for me
Anyways, the 4620's are great, but I hope a new and better driver will be released soon (including the control panel.. not that it matters.. i could just extract it from the 4620's.. and I dont use it)
Anyways, I do have great respect for Nvidias linux support, and I hope they keep up the effort

It's incredible, one minute your slagging nvidia off, next your giving them thanks, why dont you stop your trolling. It's amazing how many people cannot say 'user error' or 'fault find'.

kmare 05-14-04 04:34 PM

Quote:

1. Relase buggy driver
2. Ignore linux comunity
3. Have pizza (ordered from dominoes, using the linux command prompt, of course)
4. Catch a chick flick
5. Relase same buggy driver, but give it a new version number to simulate progress.

come on... please stop saying nvidia drivers are buggy... I installed then in more than 6-7 different nvidia graphics cards (with different chipset). In our company we used nvidia in more than 500 computer for the university just because the drivers are great and stable.
Really... I really tried ati cards (9700, 8500DV, 9000igp). And I couldn't get them to work... only on one machine.... I bet I was just lucky... and it was really frustrating the installation process... and when I enabled 3D accell, 2D was gone...

I switched to Nvidia because I feel that they respect me as a linux user. I believe this is really important... at least to me... and when I do some 3D demo programming in linux, I know I got the same features/extentions as in windows.

anyway... I hope to see another driver release soon....

blueworm 05-14-04 06:57 PM

I was thinking along the lines of...

ia32.
Fix pci issues

amd_64.
SMP lockup issues.
stepping issues.
32 bit library compatibility.
General stability.

freeBSD.
Update...